Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 09:32 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
TX is doing better with rail growth than most.
Well, Dallas is.

Houston, San Antonio and Austin still have quite a bit of catching up to do, although it seems Houston and Austin are gradually making some progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 09:53 AM

611 posts, read 365,248 times
Bloomberg has an interesting article on moving during the pandemic.

You can view an interactive map of migration patterns by metro.

More Americans Are Leaving Cities, But Don’t Call It an Urban Exodus

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...ericans-moved/

Old 04-27-2021, 10:31 AM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Yeah this seems right to me. The Syrian civil war and ISIS takeover of Iraq happened in the first half of the decade. The Yemini civil war and Lebanese financial crisis came within the last few years. I saw a graph from the Arab American Institute just yesterday that showed Michigan's Arab population jumping by 100k since 2010--mostly from Yemen, Iraq, and Lebanon. I know people want to celebrate Detroit's revival or whatever, but I don't believe that is really happening at all. The population is relatively stagnant with the major exception of a growing MENA population. I live in the Middle East, so I certainly love to see it. But I don't think anyone should confuse a city opening its doors to third world refugees with actual revitalization. Detroit is still in a really bad place.
I don't understand your point honestly. Sure, these immigrants may not be on the best socio-economic state, but they maintain neighborhoods, open businesses, are employed, etc. Maybe it doesn’t look like gentrification, but without immigration, most cities would be far far worse off. If Chicago didn’t see a surge of immigrants in the 1990s, we would probably be looking at a Chicago with a population around 2 million, and would’ve gone the way of St Louis or Detroit.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:59 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
DC still had good growth but I'm still shocked that he didn't reach 700k. Really overestimated DC. Texas I'm not surprised that it was over estimated. Still solid growth but will be interesting to see if they address the infrastructure with this now.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:02 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
DC still had good growth but I'm still shocked that he didn't reach 700k. Really overestimated DC. Texas I'm not surprised that it was over estimated. Still solid growth but will be interesting to see if they address the infrastructure with this now.
Im not either, but at almost 4 million in growth, overestimating by 200k isnt that off.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:10 AM

817 posts, read 599,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I don't understand your point honestly. Sure, these immigrants may not be on the best socio-economic state, but they maintain neighborhoods, open businesses, are employed, etc. Maybe it doesn’t look like gentrification, but without immigration, most cities would be far far worse off. If Chicago didn’t see a surge of immigrants in the 1990s, we would probably be looking at a Chicago with a population around 2 million, and would’ve gone the way of St Louis or Detroit.
My point is that a sudden influx of refugees from war torn countries is not a sign of economic vitality. It is a sign of political crisis in other countries. I think that the number of MENA refugees calling the Detroit area home is wonderful, and I agree that it tends to make local communities better. I'm just saying that 100k refugees coming to Detroit in a decade doesn't mean that Detroit is on the upswing or that it is attracting people from across America who want to make it their home. None of that is true. People are not flocking to Detroit. The economy is still pretty grim. And the city is not "recovering" any more than other rust belt cities like Buffalo and St. Louis are recovering (and they are not).

Old 04-27-2021, 11:22 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
What you fail to mention though is what attracted (and to some extent, still attracts) immigrants to Chicago is that it has a vibrant and dynamic economy where someone with limited skill/experience can easily find a decent gig to land on their feet.

In Detroit, conversely, those opportunities dried up as the Auto Industry collapsed, automated its manufacturing and shifted manufacturing out of the country. You have a huge number of local residents who are struggling to find work, so adding more immigrants to the pool would only exacerbate the tenuous situation.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:32 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,334 times
Pennsylvania surpass 13 million, a gain of 300k new residents, which is quite surprising! Wonder if it was transplants from NY/NJ that helped?

Life-long Pennsylvanian here and geography nerd - When the county level data is released in May/June, I predict either some of Western PA will be revised UP (specifically the Pittsburgh MSA counties of Allegheny and Washington, and also maybe Erie County) from all the loss estimates over the last decade, -or- SEPA quadrant will have major blow-out gains (Philadelphia and its four suburban counties, Harrisburg, Allentown, Lancaster). Either way, the yearly statewide/county estimates were too low. So somewhere in the state was underestimated.

I am guessing Altoona, Johnstown, and Indiana areas will not escape their doom and gloom loss estimates though. That is something I don’t see in the cards. It’s a depressed region that is still trying to get its feet under itself.

Nor do I see the Elk/Forest/Potter/Warren County - Allegheny National Forest region (NNW PA) reversing its rather large % losses either. Ditto for the Norther Tier Region (Sullivan/Wyoming/Bradford/Susquehanna Counties) in NNE PA, which will also keep its losses. Those areas are beautiful, but there’s just not much economically other than logging and gas lines up there which only attract short-term contract workers with ties to other states.

I think we are in for some big surprises for PA though!

I also wonder how/when the ball will start rolling for a new 2022 Redistricting map?

Old 04-27-2021, 11:46 AM

458 posts, read 350,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
In Detroit, conversely, those opportunities dried up as the Auto Industry collapsed, automated its manufacturing and shifted manufacturing out of the country. You have a huge number of local residents who are struggling to find work, so adding more immigrants to the pool would only exacerbate the tenuous situation.
I think this is a bit of a caricatured dynamic of what's actually going on in Detroit. Detroit has shifted from a manufacturing center to an R&D center over the last 50 years. The American auto industries quality realignment of the early 1980's shifted how the big 3 and their supply base validated and launched new components. While auto assembly jobs shifted south, automotive white color, engineering, and tech jobs proliferated. IMO this plays a role in why Metro Detroit's population declines haven't been as heavy as those in Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

There are two main types of immigrants that move to Detroit, those on H1B engineering visa's from primarily Asian countries who are more educated, and those relocating from the middle east who tend to be more entrepreneurial. Detroit's large Mideastern population is not known for being impoverished, or being part of the entry level workforce en masse.

That said the bulk of Michigan's population growth since the 1970's has come from outstate Metro's and not the Detroit area. I'm seeing people on here speculate Michigan's surprise underestimated population could be attached to Detroit. It could just as easily be attached to the outstate cities as well.

Last edited by Landolakes90; 04-27-2021 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-27-2021, 11:57 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
You should read the posters in the CT forum cheering and high fiving because they had a less than 1% growth rate.

That’s how bad things have gotten in many regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.