Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 AM

24 posts, read 48,226 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old single Africa-American woman from Detroit. I am a registered nurse. I've lived in city of Detroit all my life, but I'm tired of it and want a change. I'm sick of city life and all the thrills and chills that go with it.

I have always had this dream of saving up and one day having my own house with my own little plot of land where I could have a nice garden and grow herbs and food in a nice little community.

I want a nicer (read: generally warmer) climate than Michigan. I don't want to live in a completely rural area, but a place in which I consider semi-rural where people can own a decent amount of land and where the standard of living is not outrageous. I guess I'm thinking of a small town or up and coming one. And it has to be somewhat diverse racially, as that would be more comfortable for me.

My question is, do places like this actually EXIST in America? Or Canada? Or is it all just a pipe dream in my head?

Anybody have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
I realize you live in Detroit, where you can go south and be in Canada, but if you are looking for warmer you should look south of Ohio. Being white myself I can't speak about racial diversity but I'm looking at NE Tenn to get out of frozen Chicago winters and Gov Blogo's oppressive taxes. The Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol area seems to have a large medical community where a nurse might find it easier to find work than some other areas.

Last edited by studedude; 04-29-2008 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Add info

Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
North Carolina?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 AM

108 posts, read 452,342 times
There are some areas on the outskirts of Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News, VA area) that might be what you're looking for. Southern Virginia Beach still has some relatively rural areas, and parts of Suffolk and Smithfield are still undeveloped. Going farther inland, Williamsburg and York County are definitely less rural than Detroit and shouldn't have as many "thrills and chills," as you put it. Of these areas, Smithfield and Williamsburg are still what I'd consider small towns.

Unfortunately, housing in these areas can be pretty expensive. Also, while the winters are very mild in this area, the summers are hot and humid.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 AM

24 posts, read 48,226 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely check them all out.

Chicago 60614, I have actually been thinking about North Carolina for a while now! According to Minority Nurse, it's one of the top ten places to live and work in the coming years.

Other suggestions would be appreciated everyone so feel free to add if you have any other ideas!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Probably a rural college town with a fairly liberal university

Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I realize you live in Detroit, where you can go south and be in Canada, but if you are looking for warmer you should look south of Ohio. Being white myself I can't speak about racial diversity but I'm looking at NE Tenn to get out of frozen Chicago winters and Gov Blogo's oppressive taxes. The Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol area seems to have a large medical community where a nurse might find it easier to find work than some other areas.
I wouldn't write off Canada completely. Along the coast in British Columbia the weather is pretty mild, even in the winter. Much more so than Michigan, that's for sure. RE: diversity, Canada has a history of welcoming people of all races. Canadians don't seem to obsess over one anothers' skin colors like we do here in the US.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:28 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Probably a rural college town with a fairly liberal university
Fayetteville, AR with the University of Arkansas. It's not rural but you can quickly be in areas that would be considered semi-rural. While the demographics numbers paint the town as not being super diverse, they also don't include the majority of the college attendees and the permanent resident diversity is growing steadily as more and more people discover the place. Compared to Detroit, there's virtually no crime, no traffic, and the cost of living will be quite low compared to what you're used to. Maybe give it some thought.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM

387 posts, read 677,739 times
I would shoot for the area around Lincoln, Nebraska. Lincoln is just big enough to have some diversity to it, Nebraska is actually a pretty nice and easy-going state, and the land is cheap. Personally it's not my cup of tea, but your request seems consistent with it.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
around Davis, California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.