Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 02:33 PM

56 posts, read 141,285 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Southern California and both my my spouse and I are secondary school teachers. I am researching towns in which my family may possibly relocate in the future. This is what I am looking for:
A town close (within an hour) of a major city, but that itself, is not urban. My current neighborhood is suburban housing with the neighbors so close, if they yell at each other, I can hear it. I want to escape the overcrowded feel of where I live.

I want property that backs up to a wooded area, ideally.

My spouse and I would need to find employment; so I would need to not be too isolated; although, I would enjoy being zoned someplace where I could keep chickens.

I am hoping for seasonal weather, I love rain and have never lived in snow, but I don't mind learning how to cope with it.

I am researching several states, but both Kentucky and Tennessee have the type of geography that is appealing to me. We camp alot, so I like the forests in the area.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 PM

56 posts, read 141,285 times
No replies? I did actually read similar theads, but there didn't seem to be information on the yard styles (wooded backyards).

I would truly appreciate any up to date information regarding good towns. When I go on realtor.com, I am blindly looking at towns with no idea what they are really like.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowry075 View Post
Hi, I currently live in Southern California and both my my spouse and I are secondary school teachers. I am researching towns in which my family may possibly relocate in the future. This is what I am looking for:
A town close (within an hour) of a major city, but that itself, is not urban. My current neighborhood is suburban housing with the neighbors so close, if they yell at each other, I can hear it. I want to escape the overcrowded feel of where I live.

I want property that backs up to a wooded area, ideally.

My spouse and I would need to find employment; so I would need to not be too isolated; although, I would enjoy being zoned someplace where I could keep chickens.

I am hoping for seasonal weather, I love rain and have never lived in snow, but I don't mind learning how to cope with it.

I am researching several states, but both Kentucky and Tennessee have the type of geography that is appealing to me. We camp alot, so I like the forests in the area.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
You may want to take a look at Hardin County, KY. It is 45 min to an hour outside of Louisville and it may match most of your criteria.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,196,334 times
There are a lot of places in east TN that might fit your description, depending on what you consider a major city.
Chattanooga and Knoxville are both pretty good size, you should be able to find area towns that have the type of property you want without too much trouble.
If you are willing to go smaller you might look into the tri cities area around Johnson City TN, closest larger city would be Knoxville. Might not be as many job opportunities but should be extremely easy to find the more rural type properties closer in to the cities.
Maybe take a look around the TN subforums to get a little more info and then ask questions, giving a little bit more detail about what you are looking for. What size city/town you want, budget and property size, need good airport access, any other special wants or concerns, etc.

Something like this? or more country?
Attached Thumbnails
requesting information on semi rural towns in Kentucky or Tennessee-003.jpg  

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-16-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,667,900 times
E. Kentucky, Tenn, WV and western NC all are breathtaking scenery. We looked in all of them before we settled on Kentucky.
I love Kentucky! To be sort of negative for a moment, Tennessee people scare me. We had a few bad experiences on road trips through Tennessee. Johnson City and Jellico specifically. Being from Cali, you might have a real hard time adjusting to such provincial attitudes. Nashville, very cool though . . . IF you can take a week, visit all three !

Old 10-16-2012, 05:49 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
E. Kentucky, Tenn, WV and western NC all are breathtaking scenery. We looked in all of them before we settled on Kentucky.
I love Kentucky! To be sort of negative for a moment, Tennessee people scare me. We had a few bad experiences on road trips through Tennessee. Johnson City and Jellico specifically. Being from Cali, you might have a real hard time adjusting to such provincial attitudes. Nashville, very cool though . . . IF you can take a week, visit all three !
There is not some sort of invisible barrier at the TN/KY state line that causes people on one side to behave differently than people on the other side. Frankly, someone in east TN probably is probably much more like someone from east KY than with someone from west TN.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but idiots are everywhere, KY as well as TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.