Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 11:42 AM

235 posts, read 332,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I've noticed this phenomenon too. Ironically, even though big cities are more cosmopolitan and people from there are more likely to travel internationally, it seems like they have less interest in seeing other parts of their own country or even their own region.

I know people in the Bay Area who have barely ever been anywhere other than there and LA. Seattle is a little better about this, but even here a lot of people just stay in the city (and really just a few specific neighborhoods like downtown, Belltown, Ballard, Capitol Hill) and don't care about the rest of Washington. (Though the frequency of not owning a car is definitely a factor here)

Incidentally, I never cared about seeing the rest of Illinois until I left Chicago and got interested in traveling. It was all just cornfields with a blip of Abe Lincoln as far as I was concerned. Now I'd love to explore it if I ever get a chance to spend more time there than a few days with family over the holidays.
I would say this also depends on what part of the country you're in and less on city size. When i lived in greater Boston, people would commonly go to Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Maine, NYC and Vermont on weekends. I think it's also a factor of what's within driving distance. I hear less about trips like that now that i'm in Atlanta and there are less places nearby. Occasionally you'll have about some trips to Chattanooga, NC mountains, and Savannah though.

I would also expect some of that in San Fran given all the nature and wine attractions nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 11:04 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,304,452 times
I consider myself a Southern Californian first and formost.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:17 AM

20,524 posts, read 33,596,495 times
Most Texans will say they are Texans first and a toss up between Southerner and American second.

DC reps the quadrant first, followed by the general area second, then mid Atlantic third, than the northeast/east coast and American after that.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:36 AM

21,727 posts, read 12,866,068 times
In New England It's generally your city/town then new England then state.

In Boston its neighborhood, then Boston, then New England, then state.

I personally identify with my state before New England.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 14,940,393 times
I'm a Rhode Islander first and a New Englander second. But that's if you ask where I'm from.

Overall, I'm an American. That's strongest of all.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:12 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,076,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
I would say this also depends on what part of the country you're in and less on city size. When i lived in greater Boston, people would commonly go to Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Maine, NYC and Vermont on weekends. I think it's also a factor of what's within driving distance. I hear less about trips like that now that i'm in Atlanta and there are less places nearby. Occasionally you'll have about some trips to Chattanooga, NC mountains, and Savannah though.

I would also expect some of that in San Fran given all the nature and wine attractions nearby.
Dont forget Loon! (NH)

Old 01-30-2020, 11:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, it's the Mid-Atlantic. They're not the Islamic Atlantic states.

I'm from Pennsylvania, and I'll always be a Pennsylvanian first in the states. It really depended upon who was asking. I might say east coast, north of Philly, or a few hours west of New York City.

Overseas, I am an American.
Yes, agreed. Here in CO, it's Pennsylvanian, then Pittsburgh, then Beaver Falls, depending on who's asking. I often say, just for fun, Beaver County; it has a common western border with Ohio and West Virginia. I have a neighbor who introduced himself by saying "Bucks County, bordering New Jersey".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Hole up.... how the hell is Minnesota considered "the plains"? I wouldn't even agree on Iowa and Missouri for that, but Minnesota even less. I mean hell, why not label us as "Great Lakes" considering we not only have shore on the lake, but a longer (albeit less populous) shoreline than Illinois and Indiana.

Minnesotans btw identify more as Minnesotans, but also strongly as Midwesterners. Not really as "Great Lakers" but even less as "Plainers" or whatever.
Yes, Amy Klobuchar has been beating us over the head with that. I'm afraid she's not making any friends in other parts of the country with that line, touting midwesterners as somehow "better" than the rest of us poor slobs.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:08 PM

472 posts, read 350,012 times
As many said- I identify as American first.
I'm from Arizona and Tennessee. I broadly identify as Southwestern an Southern as well. I'd say I do say Arizona and Tennessee though before South/Southwest- I'm sure it is different for everyone though.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:25 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,258,841 times
I'm not sure how Oklahoma gets lumped in with Arizona and New Mexico. I suppose there's a vague association geographically, but culturally they're very different.

If there was a "Southern Plains" subregion that included KS, OK, TX, MO, and AR that would make more sense.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:41 PM

381 posts, read 350,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
As many said- I identify as American first.
I'm from Arizona and Tennessee. I broadly identify as Southwestern an Southern as well. I'd say I do say Arizona and Tennessee though before South/Southwest- I'm sure it is different for everyone though.
Who the hell calls themselves American in America? That's weird.

"Hey where ya from?"
"AMERICA"
"Oh..... okay."

-End Conversation-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.