Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 12:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times

Advertisements

As someone from Massachusetts:

Im a Bostonian first.
Im a New Englander second.
Im a Bay Stater third.
Im an American fourth.

Thats the general flow for me and my family at least. However if we werent from Boston, and say from... Cape Cod or Sprinfield.. you might be a New Englander first, Bay Stater second, American third...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 12:47 PM

1,013 posts, read 913,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Seattlites are much more likely to identify with the "PNW" or "Cascadia" identity than Washington state.

It's probably a minority of Chicagoans that feel any identification with the Midwest, but a much smaller minority that feel any identification with Illinois.
Interesting comment...so people from Chicago or residing there don’t identify with living in the Midwest or being a Midwesterner. Why is that? What do they think? That they’re not in the Midwest?

Old 01-27-2020, 02:34 PM

235 posts, read 331,861 times
I spent a few years living in Mass and Rhode Island and refer to my time up there as being in New England. I definitely think the New England identity is just as strong as state identity.

I wonder if certain metro areas might identify more with a broader region than a state. Just a guess, but i'd think this would apply to cities that are culturally a little different than the rest of their state. For example, maybe St. Louis identifies more as Midwest than Missouri or Philly identifies more as Northeastern than Pennsylvanian.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:37 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
I spent a few years living in Mass and Rhode Island and refer to my time up there as being in New England. I definitely think the New England identity is just as strong as state identity.

I wonder if certain metro areas might identify more with a broader region than a state. Just a guess, but i'd think this would apply to cities that are culturally a little different than the rest of their state. For example, maybe St. Louis identifies more as Midwest than Missouri or Philly identifies more as Northeastern than Pennsylvanian.
^^

Old 01-28-2020, 01:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I identify with Midwestern, but think of myself as Iowan first.
Yeah, I feel like most Midwesterners identify with their state first, always. For instance, Minnesotans are notorious for having fierce pride in the state. Same for Wisconsinites. The stronger the identity, the stronger the state pride.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:19 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Yeah, I feel like most Midwesterners identify with their state first, always. For instance, Minnesotans are notorious for having fierce pride in the state. Same for Wisconsinites. The stronger the identity, the stronger the state pride.
It’s important to remember that the region of New England is smaller than the state of Minnesota.

As for New England identity: it definitely exists, but mostly outward-facing. The distinction between MA and NH or RI and CT is very important when New Englanders interact with each other. However when in NYC or Georgia or wherever, New England identity becomes more important.

The state pride and identity can be somewhat superficial, though. People in southern NH and people in northwestern MA cross the border for work and pleasure constantly. Same is true for southeastern MA and northern RI, southeastern CT and southwestern RI, western MA and central CT, etc.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 01-28-2020 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-28-2020, 01:24 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
It’s important to remember that the region of New England is smaller than the state of Minnesota.

As for New England identity: it definitely exists, but only outward-facing. The distinction between MA and NH or RI and CT is very important when New Englanders interact with each other. However when in NYC or Georgia or wherever, New England identity becomes more important.
yep

Old 01-28-2020, 02:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 898,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

As for New England identity: it definitely exists, but mostly outward-facing. The distinction between MA and NH or RI and CT is very important when New Englanders interact with each other. However when in NYC or Georgia or wherever, New England identity becomes more important.

The state pride and identity can be somewhat superficial, though. People in southern NH and people in northwestern MA cross the border for work and pleasure constantly. Same is true for southeastern MA and northern RI, southeastern CT and southwestern RI, western MA and central CT, etc.
Midwesterners are definitely different in that regard. We'll argue till we're blue in the face about how Iowa and Nebraska are very different places despite being seemingly identical to most of the country.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I have lived in NE Texas for about 25 years now, but was born in New Orleans and raised mostly in the southern states. I consider myself southern first and foremost, Texan second, but I have a special place in my heart for New Orleans, LA.

I lived in Georgia for ten years, through high school and college basically so always - go, Dawgs.

And geaux, Saints!

Old 01-28-2020, 08:30 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That map is a little odd. I’ve never imagined Pennsylvanians calling themselves “mid easterners “. Although there is a term called Mid Atlantic.
Yes, it's the Mid-Atlantic. They're not the Islamic Atlantic states.

I'm from Pennsylvania, and I'll always be a Pennsylvanian first in the states. It really depended upon who was asking. I might say east coast, north of Philly, or a few hours west of New York City.

Overseas, I am an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.