Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No offense but that seems really close minded and judgmental of you. As long as someone is a good person what does it matter what their political beliefs are? Isn't accepting people's differences what diversity and tolerance are kind of about? Sometimes I am amazed how intolerant and close minded people on the far left can be just as much as the far right.
Right. Exactly. And that is why the Original Poster's post was so-dead on accurate and well stated.

The thing is about self-proclaimed liberals today is that often key buzzwords are thrown out commonly (to boost their own ideologies up and to attack those of conservative ideology) such as: tolerance / acceptance of all ideals, etc. However, those philosophies of tolerance / acceptance of all ideals seem to apply as criticisms only to those that they are criticizing. They want to be surrounded by like-minded people the same as those they are criticizing.

Very well stated OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I won't go into details but, quite honestly, I don't even want to be friends with anyone who supported Bush or this war. In fact, it's really made an already bad situation worse in my family. I befriended someone here and thought we were on the same page, more or less. I found out she's a republican and, well, she's got a lot of other good qualities. Of course, I can no longer express my political views. Nope, no time for republicans here. So why would I want to live in an area that is predominantly so?
Wow! You don't even want to be friends with anyone who supported Bush. Where is the tolerance? Where is the big tent? Where is the acceptance of people with opposing points of view?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,057 times
Quote:
No offense but that seems really close minded and judgmental of you. As long as someone is a good person what does it matter what their political beliefs are? Isn't accepting people's differences what diversity and tolerance are kind of about? Sometimes I am amazed how intolerant and close minded people on the far left can be just as much as the far right.
Yes, I agree with you. It is closed-minded and judgmental. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh and my criticism isn't directed at anyone in this forum.

I just feel so strongly about my beliefs and I really do not understand anyone who would support Bush or his policies. I honestly don't get it and I think that our political beliefs are pretty core and representative of values. And I guess there are exceptions to every rule.

Perhaps I should rephrase. There are plenty of people now who no longer support what is going on. I guess I really have no issue and am happy that only 30% of the country still supports the status quo. That is a step in the right direction. Maybe I should say I don't want to know anyone in that 30%. Yes, I guess that is a better way to look at it.

I digress however, do not want to hijack this thread or turn it into a political debate. My point is it's made a HUGE difference to me moving from there to here. I noticed it immediately upon arriving. So for me, it really is better that I live somewhere liberal. I'd like to move to a place like that, but for the time being, I can't.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The issue with me is big city transplants moving to smaller towns and then wanting all of the things they had in the big cities they just escaped and that were very expensive to live in. They don't seem to make the connection that the reason it was so expensive to live in those places was accommodation, government regulations and demand for services. Most big northeastern cities are liberal. If they were good and affordable places to live, people wouldn't flee them once they are no longer tied to a job.

My county is Republican according to the last election, the county is 73% religious and the population number of the town has hardly changed in 20 years. I don't know the conservative/liberal breakdown because no one apparently keeps those stats. I know the town was created by transplants but I doubt that they were all from major northeastern cities --- and when many came in the 40s and 50s to start the town, they weren't today's definition of liberal.

My town made a lot of noise about NOT having a new shopping area in town about a year ago and they won. And we still celebrate traditional holidays. The US Army led our Christmas parade (note, it's not a "holiday" parade or a "winter" parade) and many churches in town had their own floats and Christmas messages. And when some libs in town decided not to put Easter in front of the Egg Hunt this year, the town paper made a big deal about it and called it an Easter Egg Hunt anyway. We have an annual festival that celebrates our WWII connections. I have met many people in the town who have come from other countries and love this country, probably more than most elected people in San Francisco. They've been around long enough to know peace through strength and cherish traditions.

There are overaged ex-hippies everywhere including my town. They're loud but they're still in the minority as far as I can tell.

I might have missed it- but where do you live in TN?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
The most liberal area of the country runs up the so called 'spine of New England', and eastern New England along the coast.

Starting in Greater New Haven Connecticut, home of Yale - up I 91 and the Connecticut river valley to Middletown and Metro Hartford, further up the CT river to Springfield Massachusetts -into the 'Pioneer Valley' where the town of Northampton is wildly liberal as is nearby Amherst. North along the Connecticut river into Vermont; the town of Brattleboro; which has 'impeached' the current President and Vice President- and has allowed public nudity also north along the Connecticut river valley to Hanover New Hampshire(home of Dartmouth) then west to 'organic' Burlington VT on Lake Champlain.

Eastern New England-from Newport- up to Providence RI, then the 'Hub'- Boston, both the north and south shore, west to Worcester; Cape Cod (with Provincetown a mini San Francisco) and Portland Maine and nearby Ogunquit equally as liberal.
These regions compose about 75% of New England's population.

Only the San Francisco bay area and Seattle are at least as liberal- but more kooky and zany- the liberalism here is more reserved but can be as equally over the top as its west coast brothers and sisters, to those who try and push a conservative mantra or agenda.

New England has but one Republican congressmen left- Chris Shays in southwestern CT

CT is the next state after Massachusetts to offer health care based on income-though not mandated as in the Bay state.
Connecticut's 'Charter Oak Health Plan' became effective July 1, 2008
see Charter Oak Health Plan

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-07-2008 at 06:31 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 11,342 times
Quote:
Well said!!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Wow! You don't even want to be friends with anyone who supported Bush. Where is the tolerance? Where is the big tent? Where is the acceptance of people with opposing points of view?
Over the years I've found liberals, collectively, to be more closed-minded and ignorant of alternative points-of-view than conservatives. Which is why I don't self identify as one anymore.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM

179 posts, read 199,506 times
I prefer liberal towns like inner loop Houston and Austin to more conservative ones like San Diego, Miami and the like. But that's just me.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,293,415 times
There's conservative and then there's really conservative. I could never live in a town where the school board was opposed to teaching evolution.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,122 times
Tell me my dear, just where would that be? Some unnamed town in the bible belt no doubt. Just can't remember the name right now? You know how those people are.

Last edited by robertjohnson; 03-02-2009 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: q mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.