Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times

Advertisements

Seattle is growing at a monstrous rate!m Urban development is at a high, Weather has been getting better. Once The waterfront is finished, Arena is built, and We get a NBA and NHL team it will be perfect!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Portland is growing by leaps and bounds as well. So fast I wonder if the city is going to be able to handle the population it is building itself up for.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 PM

136 posts, read 244,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Seattle is growing at a monstrous rate!m Urban development is at a high, Weather has been getting better. Once The waterfront is finished, Arena is built, and We get a NBA and NHL team it will be perfect!!!
I can't wait. Once the new waterfront is finished and the aquarium is remodeled and expanded and the new arena is built, Seattle will become a world class city. I love that Seattle is finally getting serious about expanding. There are so many new downtown projects happening right now and so many new jobs that are expected to come to the area. When all of these projects are completed in 2020, Seattle won't be the same city that it was when this post started in 2009.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 AM

419 posts, read 656,360 times
If you can handle grey skies more often than not than you will love it here. It is a beautiful, beautiful state (referring to WA). Snow capped Mt Rainier in all its splendor can be seen reaching up toward the sky. Lots of hiking and outdoor stuff. No beaches to speak of - oh there is beaches but not very conducive to swimming (cold) and ugly dark sand - not my idea of a beach. Traffic along the I-5 corridor is a nightmare and rush hour anytime is horrendous. So, if you can handle all the above - welcome to western WA.

I myself am leaving after being here since 1983. Four more years and goodbye.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Seattle demonstrates an impressively polished urban experience. The city's population is growing rapidly despite how tiny the city is (population of 634,535 within 83 square miles). Just as importantly, the cities surrounding Seattle are exploding, with Bellevue developing its own skyline and the Eastside in general attracting lots of businesses and wealth. Expect the population of the Seattle metro area exploding within the next decade.

The Puget Sound metro is sort of like a smaller, slower sister to the SF Bay area. In terms of GDP by metro areas, the Puget Sound ranks 12th while the Bay Area ranks 8th.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM

256 posts, read 541,281 times
The PNW is a way is like the south in rebellioious attitude toward the federal government. Anyways it is nice to live here and Portland and Seattle are the IT cities.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:59 AM

50 posts, read 101,680 times
My impression of the PNW (WA & Oregon) comes from the people I have met online - Cold, out-of-touch with the rest of the country, highly educated but don't know anything, and poser hippies.

The PNW sounds like a wonderful place because of the moderate weather and outdoor opportunities but I have really been turned off by the residents of the area.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlowerGarden View Post
My impression of the PNW (WA & Oregon) comes from the people I have met online - Cold, out-of-touch with the rest of the country, highly educated but don't know anything, and poser hippies.

The PNW sounds like a wonderful place because of the moderate weather and outdoor opportunities but I have really been turned off by the residents of the area.
Wait, so have you ever actually meant residents of the area in person, or is this just based on people you've "met" online...

Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlowerGarden View Post

Believe me, all the residents of the area do not post online. They are more than likely out enjoying the moderate weather and outdoor opportunities. You are judging only a small group of people out of a huge population. You have to actually meet people in person in order to see what they are like.

I live in Portland and am originally from the very open and friendly Midwest. People here tend to be more reserved and don't form deep friendships immediately with newcomers but I would never call them cold. They are friendly though. There are so many transplants from all over the US that it's sort of a melting pot of attitudes.

You will find very few hippies here. There are a lot of hipsters it's true. But it's kind of a nieghborhood to neighborhood thing as in many other cities.

If you have ever read any of my other posts you will see I am not a Portland booster I have a lot of criticisms about this city but I think it is wrong to judge it either pro or con by the Internet. People usually go the opposite way and give it praise it doesn't always deserve just from what they see on the Internet. That bugs me. But I don't think that negative judgement coming from the Internet is very reliable either.

Being there is the only real way to judge any city and its people.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 PM

50 posts, read 101,680 times
I am basing my comments from only those that I have met online. Sadly, they have turned me off to the PNW. I believe the Oregon coastal areas might be wonderful except for the fact that if the people are anything like they have been online, then I would rather live in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.