Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:49 PM

65 posts, read 91,927 times

Advertisements

I'll go first to set an example. I'd move San Diego 20 miles more north than it is now away from the Mexican Border. The coastline is alot more scenic in North SD county.

I'd move Los Angeles 15 miles more West to where Santa Monica currently is today.

San Francisco is perfectly fine where it is.

I'd move Sacramento closer to the Bay Area to make it apart of it's Metropolitan region. I just think it's a waste to have the capitol in a very average landscape location within a very geographically diverse state. Sacramento would function like how Riverside is to LA (many commuters in both directions, both having their own downtowns)

I already know how Florida is going to play out, all the Inland cities like Orlando and Tallahassee are going to want to reposition anywhere on the coast since Inland Florida has nothing unique to offer like mountains.

Everyone in Arizona would want Phoenix where Yuma is to be as close as possible to the glamous California. It'd cut their drive time to San Diego by 2 1/2 hours. Cause lets be honest, nobody from SoCal goes to AZ yet everyone in AZ drives the 6+ hours to our coast to "play in the water" and then drive back another 6 hours to their home.

Texas is going to be interesting because it already has decently sized cities scattered throughout the state so there'd be no reason to reposition any of them.

I never been to Hawaii but i always hear that Honolulu is on the least attractive island out of the other 7 islands within the state

Philadelphia never felt like an East Coast city to me since it's so far Inland. Same with most of inner New Jersey. I'd combine New Jersey and Pennsylvania into one state and put Philly anywhere along the Atlantic. Until then, Philly and DC are midwest where as Baltimore is true East Coast

Last edited by LuvHighDesert; 08-25-2017 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 PM

205 posts, read 249,267 times
Default Not necessarily my city, but moving a city into my state.

Personally, If I could, I'd move Memphis, TN 30 miles directly to the South so it'd be on Arkabutla Lake in the Delta so that way Memphis could be totally inside Mississippi. That way, they'd be able to pay taxes on Mississippi property instead of Tennessee property. That way Mississippi would have enough money to pay for our crumbling infrastructure and a more liberal, metropolitan based population that would be more in favor of changing our flag and growing our state.

Anyhow, I know that is very far flung, but I just wanted to make the point that Mississippi needs some good metropolitan population before any real positive economic development policies come into place.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:23 PM

65 posts, read 91,927 times
^Clever choice indeed. Repositioning for political purposes i see

Old 08-26-2017, 12:02 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I would put Midland/Odessa in the Texas Hill Country.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
I would move Denver to where Alamosa CO is. That direct area isn't particularly pretty, but there are cool mountains and places to see in EVERY direction there, the Rio Grande river would probably provide enough water for pretty landscape.

And it's a big enough flat spot you could fit Denver there. There isn't really another spot inside the mountains in CO that would work.

Denver's current location is practical (because of I70), but that's about it. The other Front Range cities have a more scenic location IMO.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
Personally, If I could, I'd move Memphis, TN 30 miles directly to the South so it'd be on Arkabutla Lake in the Delta so that way Memphis could be totally inside Mississippi. That way, they'd be able to pay taxes on Mississippi property instead of Tennessee property. That way Mississippi would have enough money to pay for our crumbling infrastructure and a more liberal, metropolitan based population that would be more in favor of changing our flag and growing our state.

Anyhow, I know that is very far flung, but I just wanted to make the point that Mississippi needs some good metropolitan population before any real positive economic development policies come into place.
Much to the frustration of liberal Memphis they have not changed conservative Tennessee. Conservative East Tennessee and middle Tennessee (outside of Nashville) has more than made up for them. As much as we pick on poor ole Memphis sometimes I don't think we're gonna give it up to Mississippi. How could Tennessee give up Graceland?

Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighDesert View Post
I'll go first to set an example. I'd move San Diego 20 miles more north than it is now away from the Mexican Border. The coastline is alot more scenic in North SD county.

I'd move Los Angeles 15 miles more West to where Santa Monica currently is today.

I'd move Sacramento closer to the Bay Area to make it apart of it's Metropolitan region. I just think it's a waste to have the capitol in a very average landscape location within a very geographically diverse state. Sacramento would function like how Riverside is to LA (many commuters in both directions, both having their own downtowns)

I already know how Florida is going to play out, all the Inland cities like Orlando and Tallahassee are going to want to reposition anywhere on the coast since Inland Florida has nothing unique to offer like mountains.

Everyone in Arizona would want Phoenix where Yuma is to be as close as possible to the glamous California. It'd cut their drive time to San Diego by 2 1/2 hours. Cause lets be honest, nobody from SoCal goes to AZ yet everyone in AZ drives the 6+ hours to our coast to "play in the water" and then drive back another 6 hours to their home.

Texas is going to be interesting because it already has decently sized cities scattered throughout the state so there'd be no reason to reposition any of them.

I never been to Hawaii but i always hear that Honolulu is on the least attractive island out of the other 7 islands within the state

Philadelphia never felt like an East Coast city to me since it's so far Inland. Same with most of inner New Jersey. I'd combine New Jersey and Pennsylvania into one state and put Philly anywhere along the Atlantic. Until then, Philly and DC are midwest where as Baltimore is true East Coast
Per the bolded, I'd rather have Phoenix where Kingman is now. Kingman has one of the most moderate climates in the state, still warm enough in winter that they have palms, but 10°+ cooler than Phoenix in summer

Old 08-26-2017, 10:54 AM

205 posts, read 249,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Much to the frustration of liberal Memphis they have not changed conservative Tennessee. Conservative East Tennessee and middle Tennessee (outside of Nashville) has more than made up for them. As much as we pick on poor ole Memphis sometimes I don't think we're gonna give it up to Mississippi. How could Tennessee give up Graceland?
Except Mississippi is 2.9 Million people and votes 60/40 Republican/Democrat (60% Republican and 40% Democrat). With almost the whole Memphis area (which has 1.3 million people) being inside Mississippi, I think it'd be more like 55/45 since Memphis was 62% Democrat in the last presidential election according to the stats on City-Data.com

Old 08-26-2017, 11:39 AM

353 posts, read 656,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
Except Mississippi is 2.9 Million people and votes 60/40 Republican/Democrat (60% Republican and 40% Democrat). With almost the whole Memphis area (which has 1.3 million people) being inside Mississippi, I think it'd be more like 55/45 since Memphis was 62% Democrat in the last presidential election according to the stats on City-Data.com
Phoenix is fine where it is. Yes more people go from Phoenix to California beaches especially in the summer but even in the dead of summer I see plenty of California plates in Scottsdale. The OP has an unhealthy fixation on Phoenix. They just can't stand it which is fine, everyone's entitled to their opinion but they just can't leave it alone. On the Arizona forum he or she was trolling about how Arizonans call the shores of the local lakes beaches. Never heard anyone in my life call them beaches. Not even once. Just trying to go out of their way to prove how different Arizona is from California. I have spent extensive time in Southern California and I love it but guess what? I love Phoenix/Scottsdale too. Sorry that probably really really bothers you. I know you've called in an overgrown Barstow but there's a reason Phoenix has grown to the size it has so apparently your opinion is very much in the minority. You are entitled to your opinion but it just seems that you have an unhealthy fixation on Phoenix. And just for the record I am not some stereotype I'm sure you have in your head about people from Phoenix. I am very educated, progressive, can't stand Donald Trump, nor do most people I know. Those zombies you saw at his rally earlier this week don't look like most people I know. So let's not go down that road. I honestly don't care if you do or don't like Phoenix but just had to respond to your obsessive rants. Sorry that the idea that some people actually like Phoenix affects your life

Old 08-26-2017, 11:51 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighDesert View Post

Maybe move mine slightly closer to the Missouri River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.