Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
That's stretching it. I distinctly remember being in a barbershop in Marshall, Texas (pop. 23523) where a group of men were openly discussing all their problems with religion/the bible and why they no longer attend church. No one said a word in protest.

What people fail to realize or either don't want to admit is that most southerners under the age of 60 can hardly be called devout Christians. Many are lapsed Protestants who would rather sit home and watch football than be bothered with church on Sunday. And even within the church you have a slew of people who aren't very Christian like 6 days out of the week.

Personally I am a man of faith but I'm not giving any atheists a hard time about their beliefs, nor will I support the ridiculous idea that they are unwelcome in the south or that they're only safe in the large cities.
I only said that because you are likely to run into people of faith in smaller towns compared to people that live in larger cities. Contrary to popular belief, most of the major cities in the South are not that much different than the rest of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,090 times
Well, I'm an Atheist. I don't go announcing it to people, but I'm not afraid to tell them my opinion if they ask. I've been living in Northwest Arkansas and haven't had a single problem, though Benton County is said to be the 2nd least religious county in the state. Sure, there are a number of churches here and I do on occasion hear people talk about their beliefs. It's actually not what I expected when I first moved here though. From what I've seen, I'd say the religious still have the majority, but I'd say it's it's only 60% who are very religious.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
orlando-calrissian = "Almost every major southern city is predominantly Democrat/liberal"

If you mean that almost every major southern city has a large black population who usually vote Democrat and are liberal on economic issues, that is true. However, black southerners are also generally religious.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:52 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If you are from the South and happen to be an atheist - or light on religious roots, it will be easier for you.
Errr... possibly, but a number of us posting here with the view that's it's not a big deal are not originally southerners. We're transplants who somehow made it work without issues.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
I just tell people I'm Catholic (lapsed one at that), and in the South that usually shuts them up pretty fast about religion. I felt very comfortable in New Orleans though cause it warmed my heart seeing all those Catholic churches and so few of those Baptists churches you see everywhere else in the South. Also liked the giant Cathedral in Mobile. Catholics are pretty tolerant of atheists imo. Much more so than the evangelical Christian.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:38 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
All of the cities above 100K in TN have democratic mayors at this time. That includes cities without large AA populations.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:06 AM

60 posts, read 98,736 times
I guess it just depends on where you are in the region. It's more likely that people are going to be more accepting in urban areas as opposed to rural areas for example.

I'm not an Atheist, but I know plenty of them that live in my area and would definitely say that your choice in where to live shouldn't be hindered by your beliefs. If you don't actively seek out arguments then you'll be completely fine.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
orlando-calrissian = "Almost every major southern city is predominantly Democrat/liberal"

If you mean that almost every major southern city has a large black population who usually vote Democrat and are liberal on economic issues, that is true. However, black southerners are also generally religious.
It's not just about having a sizable Black population; most major Southern cities truly do lean left. For instance, although NC as a whole voted for the gay marriage ban a few years back, most of the state's major cities voted against it.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Yes, atheism is generally looked down upon in the South.

Most people (and institutions) in the South are religious. Be prepared to see churches everywhere and people being very public about their faith.

Most people will have a live and let live attitude. Some people will invite you to their church (because helping to save your soul is the kindest act they can offer). Militant atheism is despised, for example atheists who complain about prayers at football games or public meetings are regarded as intolerant interlopers.

The manner in which you posed your question and the manner in which you responded to Wmsn4life (who is a great resource for info) leads me to believe that you would be fine here.
This is a good answer. I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere2 View Post
Couldn't hope for a better answer. Thank you very much. My fear is indeed not that I'll be chased through town by an angry mob, but more that people will try to save my soul (just like you responded). While I do appreciate the gesture of people trying to do something nice for me- Maybe if I were born in the US I'd be religious myself, but where I come from religion is quickly dying out.

I do not know what militant atheism is, but by how you say it it sounds like an extreme form of atheism. Like I said, I could not care less if somebody is religious or not. I like to see churches and the culture associated with it, I just hope people will allow me to make my own choice.

Once again, thanks for the kind answer.
I think that the fact you're not from the U.S. will be taken into consideration, being that you have a different background.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
but rather that the smaller percentage that is liberal in numbers is still a large amount.
Yes, you'll find that to be the case in the cities, not so much in the rural areas and most suburban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.