Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueSea7 View Post

5) american FLags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags everywhere!!!! Talk about a superiority complex!!

7) most people i met said we have accents?
5 - American flags. I don't consider that to have anything to do with having a superiority complex. It's all about American patriotism which I think is okay, I don't think it's about feeling superior. I'd rather see the American flag and state flags than the Gadsden flag any day. That Gadsden flag has been corrupted and represents a superiority complex and having an aggressive chip on the shoulder that's just begging to be knocked off and stomped on. Some Canadians fly their flag out of patriotism too, just not as much as Americans do. I fly a small Canada flag on the antennae of my car, partly from patriotism and partly because it makes it easier for me to find my car in a busy parking lot.

7 - Accents. Canadians do have accents to any non-Canadian listening to them. Everybody everywhere has an accent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 PM

703 posts, read 870,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

7 - Accents. Canadians do have accents to any non-Canadian listening to them. Everybody everywhere has an accent.

Just an interesting fact because we're also talking about NY. Didn't New Yorkers get their accent because their were some on an island long ago who were segregated from decent education, and their English had been affected, which lead to the way they speak today?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
A bit critical some of you are, eh?

I was just sharing my experience. No harm intended.

I do find many things strange though. Like seeing "MPH" on speed limits signs was different. Also, i was surprised how many hockey fans are in the NY area. I thought hockey wasn't really a big sport there.

They did notice an accent appartently. I went to a pub and asked if anyone was sitting at a specific table and one girl looked at me funny and asked "where are you from."

i might visit again in a couple of weeks. What an interesting city. Midtown is competely different than downtown. The east village is completely different than brooklyn. Its very diverse there
Your take on your first trip to the US was interesting to me, visit other places and cities as well in the future to really get a feel of what the country is really like. I hope to make it up to Toronto I the near future.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Your take on your first trip to the US was interesting to me, visit other places and cities as well in the future to really get a feel of what the country is really like. I hope to make it up to Toronto I the near future.
Yeah, you'll certainly get a better perspective as you visit more areas.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Molson Canadian and Labatt is so common they are considered domistic beer in most bars

Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Molson Canadian and Labatt is so common they are considered domistic beer in most bars
You live in Chili, however.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:40 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
I hope you liked it in America. We're a big country and have a diverse variety of places.

Quote:
A few thoughts:

1) wow new york city is HUGE!! It dwarfs GTA. Even the areas outside of nyc is heavily populated

2) nobodys knows what poutine is there

3) americans act like canada is so far away

4) good luck finding molson canadian ontap there

5) american FLags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags everywhere!!!! Talk about a superiority complex!!

6) duncan donuts on every corner....every.....corner...

7) most people i met said we have accents?

8) The drive from toronto to nyc is beautiful

1.) Mod cut. NYC is at least three times bigger than the GTA. Chicago and LA are also way bigger, and Washington DC, Dallas, and Houston are surpassing Toronto's population.

2.) You'd be surprised at where you can find poutine. There's a place here in Charlottesville, VA that sells "Southern-style Poutine". There's no cheese curds in the South so we have to make do with cottage cheese and feta.

3.) Unless you live in the border states, it is.

4.) Try asking for a Bloody Caesar. No one knows what that is.

5.) This is America, Mod cut.

6.) There's a few Tim Horton's locations in NYC. They used to be in New England but Dunkin Donuts is too strong there. There's more Tim Horton's locations in Ohio, especially around Columbus, OH.

7.) Everywhere in the world has an accent.

8.) The drive from NYC to Montreal is better.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
^^^
Usuario you do realize that the Toronto city proper has 2.8 million and has overtaken Chicago in city proper terms and both fit in their 2.7 and 2.8 million in the same area right? Chicago is much larger as a metro area but the density of these outer regions that sprawl forever is nothing that resembles a cohesive city.

As for other cities in the U.S save for L.A and NYC none come close to Toronto's city proper population and only D.C's CSA is larger that the GTA equivalent but it is far more spread and and far less dense. Houston is so sparse and spread out it is laughable compared to Toronto and the GTA's urban density. Both Houston and Toronto are growing at the same clip but Toronto is a much larger city proper (real cohesive and urban city) and is way way way more dense to begin with. Same with Dallas. Toronto has the second heighest weighted density in Canamerica after NYC and since you left in 2008 the city has had the largest construction boom in the western world - the core of Toronto in particularly has swelled since you left...so yeah you need to come back to Toronto in 2014 because 2008 was a lifetime ago for a city like T.O

Last edited by fusion2; 06-19-2014 at 10:15 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
^^^
Usuario you do realize that the Toronto city proper has 2.8 million and has overtaken Chicago in city proper terms and both fit in their 2.7 and 2.8 million in the same area right? Chicago is much larger as a metro area but the density of these outer regions that sprawl forever is nothing that resembles a cohesive city.

As for other cities in the U.S save for L.A and NYC none come close to Toronto's city proper population and only D.C's CSA is larger that the GTA equivalent but it is far more spread and and far less dense. Houston is so sparse and spread out it is laughable compared to Toronto and the GTA's urban density. Both Houston and Toronto are growing at the same clip but Toronto is a much larger city proper (real cohesive and urban city) and is way way way more dense to begin with. Same with Dallas. Toronto has the second heighest weighted density in Canamerica after NYC and since you left in 2008 the city has had the largest construction boom in the western world - the core of Toronto in particularly has swelled since you left...so yeah you need to come back to Toronto in 2014 because 2008 was a lifetime ago for a city like T.O
GTA, no..
That's not a clear example of NYC

Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
GTA, no..
That's not a clear example of NYC
What do you mean, I have said that in no measure either city proper or metro does Toronto match NYC including weighted average density levels.
When it comes to skyscraper development in the past 5 years ... yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.