Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Some massed produced beers are still produced by companies other than Interbru of Fosters or some other bottom line, dividend paying entity that wouldn't know a good beer from shoe-polish.

I prefer Yeunglings Traditional when I can get it.

The Yuengling family of fine beers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Just a quick comment about the Molson thing.

Years ago -- way before the craft beer explosion --- a Canadian drinking beer in the USA was almost painful. As bad as mass produced Molson's may be, a Bud or a Coors -- BLECH......

Now a days -- craft beer....why would any real beer drinker NOT drink some local craft beer.
I hear this about (olden day) American beer vs Canadian beer a lot. But that was before my time.

You are right ... today, the craft beer scene in the US is just the best in the world.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:11 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueSea7 View Post
A few thoughts:

1) wow new york city is HUGE!! It dwarfs GTA. Even the areas outside of nyc is heavily populated
2) nobodys knows what poutine is there
3) americans act like canada is so far away
4) good luck finding molson canadian ontap there
5) american FLags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags everywhere!!!! Talk about a superiority complex!!
6) duncan donuts on every corner....every.....corner...
7) most people i met said we have accents?
8) The drive from toronto to nyc is beautiful

1) NYC is a different league. It is bigger than Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa combined. This is why I always despise all the Toronto/NYC comparison as if it is meaningful.
2) nobody outside Canada knows what that is.
3) you are lucky to meet people smart enough to know Canada is a different country.
4) refer to 2)
5) Well, it is better than Canadian cities hanging random US national flags (yes, many of them, and not in front of embassies)
6) not true. only in the northeast area. In California, there are few.
7) When Canadians say words like "process", "progress", people can immediately tell they are Canadians.
8) really?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
2) Poutine is actually quite known in some places like Long Island and New Jersey. It's generally popular as a late night drinking food.

As a Canadian in the US who travels around a lot, I've gone on the search for poutine to satisfy my craving. I've had some success finding it in larger metros but you definitely have to go out of your way to find it. Sometimes it's authentic (i.e. the Quebec way) but most are modified a bit with different cheeses and gravy.

Last edited by johnathanc; 06-18-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 02:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
2) Poutine is actually quite known in some places like Long Island and New Jersey. It's generally popular as a late night drinking food.

As a Canadian in the US who travels around a lot, I've gone on the search for poutine to satisfy my craving. I've had some success finding it in larger metros but you definitely have to go out of your way to find it. Sometimes it's authentic (i.e. the Quebec way) but most are modified a bit with different cheeses and gravy.
Thank you! Poutine is available in many parts of the US. Just this weekend I was in a bar in Minneapolis and they had poutine on the menu (I didn't try it).

I have actually seen poutine at high quality restaurants too ... one's where they add the fancy meats.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Just a quick comment about the Molson thing.

Years ago -- way before the craft beer explosion --- a Canadian drinking beer in the USA was almost painful. As bad as mass produced Molson's may be, a Bud or a Coors -- BLECH......

Now a days -- craft beer....why would any real beer drinker NOT drink some local craft beer.
Agreed. Molson, Coors, Bud, Labatt, etc. are all garbage. I prefer European or local craft brews, particularly from Quebec. The Craft beer movement started in Northern California in the 70s and (thankfully) has finally become popular everywhere now. There is no need to resort to a Molson or Bud in this day in age unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:28 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
1) wow new york city is HUGE!! It dwarfs GTA. Even the areas outside of nyc is heavily populated
-- Yup.

2) nobodys knows what poutine is there
-- This will make a Canadian laugh, but it's creeping in as a hipster food item here in Central Ohio. But with fancy toppings like goat cheese and whatnot.

3) americans act like canada is so far away
--It generally is.

4) good luck finding molson canadian ontap there
-- No comment

5) american FLags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags flags everywhere!!!! Talk about a superiority complex!!
-- I've gotten used to it after 6 years living here, but yes, you are right.

6) duncan donuts on every corner....every.....corner...
-- East coast thing only. We have Timmy's here in Columbus, although it sucks.

7) most people i met said we have accents?
-- You do.

-- New York is a beautiful state.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:54 PM

703 posts, read 870,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
-- New York is a beautiful state.
True, but just a tiny beauty of what is the United States.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 PM

14 posts, read 18,966 times
A bit critical some of you are, eh?

I was just sharing my experience. No harm intended.

I do find many things strange though. Like seeing "MPH" on speed limits signs was different. Also, i was surprised how many hockey fans are in the NY area. I thought hockey wasn't really a big sport there.

They did notice an accent appartently. I went to a pub and asked if anyone was sitting at a specific table and one girl looked at me funny and asked "where are you from."

i might visit again in a couple of weeks. What an interesting city. Midtown is competely different than downtown. The east village is completely different than brooklyn. Its very diverse there

Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 PM

703 posts, read 870,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueSea7 View Post
A bit critical some of you are, eh?
I do find many things strange though. Like seeing "MPH" on speed limits signs was different.
Yeah, that's going to be a big difference, but I'm used to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.