Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 AM

19 posts, read 21,939 times

Advertisements

I don't give a damn what people think. I don't like big cities and would never live in one. People in the big cities are rude and stuck up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
You people who bash city lovers as not "genuine" and "elitist" are just as bad as the people who bash non-city dwellers as unsophisticated rubes.
There is no basis for assuming a person's personality is a certain way based on where they live. There are snooty pretentious people in small towns and dumb people in big cities, and vice versa.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I have nothing against big cities i just prefer life in the suburbs.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So I'm 29 years old, single and gay and do not like living in big cities. I lived in NYC for two years and found it to be draining. Even mid-sized cities like Denver or Tampa are pushing it, for me. I just don't find crowding and congestion to be an appealing way to live. I prefer smaller metros (less than 2 million) Whenever I tell my friends that, they think I'm weird, like I'm a loser or something for not wanting to live in a big special city. Most of them generally aspire to urban life and when they hear someone who isn't interested in it, they're reaction is this:

Has anyone else been looked down upon or made fun of for not liking urban living, for whatever reason? Why do people who prefer urban living sometimes look down upon those who prefer to live in the country or a smaller area? I just don't get it.
I think it's awesome that you lived in NYC for a couple of years (there is no better cultural education and personal challenge in my opinion), I bet you will always look back on those years, though challenging and draining, as nonetheless formative and important to your development as the man you are today and in the future. I fricking LOVE NYC, Chicago, Paris and London, but to visit not live- man I can understand the draining aspect of each- having to be on all the time and surrounded by so many elite, (and that's a positive label) overachieving people and cultural events and amenities. Of course there is also the most definitely not elite people, trash, crowds, noise and general hassle of some aspects of life that also describe living the city haha.

Sometimes you just need to chill with a few fun buds and drink beer while playing pool, go to a baseball game or ride mountain bikes, and not always be around so much activities, people and noise. I would think there are plenty of mid-sized metros where you could easily make a good life with like-minded people. There are plenty of regular, fun and interesting guys and gals in places like Dallas or Houston, or more specifically cheery picking some of the more interesting surrounding suburbs, also Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Austin, Portland, Omaha, Boulder, Chico, Missoula, just to name a few places that I know a little about. My own city is large, but doesn't ever feel overwhelming like NYC can (and lots of handsome surfers, tri-athletes and military hehe) so stop listening to others and do some research and consider places like these

There are folks from both sides of the urban/rural matrix who ascribe sweeping generalities in their proclamations about each. You've lived it and know better and know what you like and why, go where you can be happy!

Good luck!

Last edited by T. Damon; 05-25-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 03:12 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So I'm 29 years old, single and gay and do not like living in big cities. I lived in NYC for two years and found it to be draining. Even mid-sized cities like Denver or Tampa are pushing it, for me. I just don't find crowding and congestion to be an appealing way to live. I prefer smaller metros (less than 2 million) Whenever I tell my friends that, they think I'm weird, like I'm a loser or something for not wanting to live in a big special city. Most of them generally aspire to urban life and when they hear someone who isn't interested in it, they're reaction is this:

Has anyone else been looked down upon or made fun of for not liking urban living, for whatever reason? Why do people who prefer urban living sometimes look down upon those who prefer to live in the country or a smaller area? I just don't get it.

If you think these people are your friends you need to look up the definition of friends and completely comprehend what it means.
No one should care what type of city you like or dislike, it is your choice and none of their concern.
Live where you want, how you want and don't worry with the opinion of others who are not really your friends who have opinions that should not affect your life.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I think it's awesome that you lived in NYC for a couple of years (there is no better cultural education and personal challenge in my opinion), I bet you will always look back on those years, though challenging and draining, as nonetheless formative and important to your development as the man you are today and in the future. I fricking LOVE NYC, Chicago, Paris and London, but to visit not live- man I can understand the draining aspect of each- having to be on all the time and surrounded by so many elite, (and that's a positive label) overachieving people and cultural events and amenities. Of course there is also the most definitely not elite people, trash, crowds, noise and general hassle of some aspects of life that also describe living the city haha.

Sometimes you just need to chill with a few fun buds and drink beer while playing pool, go to a baseball game or ride mountain bikes, and not always be around so much activities, people and noise. I would think there are plenty of mid-sized metros where you could easily make a good life with like-minded people. There are plenty of regular, fun and interesting guys and gals in places like Dallas or Houston, or more specifically cheery picking some of the more interesting surrounding suburbs, also Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Austin, Portland, Omaha, Boulder, Chico, Missoula, just to name a few places that I know a little about. My own city is large, but doesn't ever feel overwhelming like NYC can (and lots of handsome surfers, tri-athletes and military hehe) so stop listening to others and do some research and consider places like these

There are folks from both sides of the urban/rural matrix who ascribe sweeping generalities in their proclamations about each. You've lived it and know better and know what you like and why, go where you can be happy!

Good luck!
But Dallas, Houston, Portland, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh are all too big for my tastes. And Omaha, Boulder, Chico and Missoula are too small

Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 AM

My lease is about to end here in CT. And many of my friends are pressuring me into moving to NYC, but I don't know what to do now.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,856 times
Renew it?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Renew it?
No way. I am going on month-to-month so that I can get out of here sometime in the next 3-4 months.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:10 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Where do you plan on going to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.