Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times

Advertisements

Austin is pretty well known in the US now and it seems that the whole country is moving in droves, so it isn't the undiscovered gem that it once was. Quality of life is drastically reducing with the overdevelopment of the western hills, insane traffic, and skyrocketing COL.

Are there any other US cities with great economies, focus on the outdoors, and a young, educated population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 02:53 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
I think Nashville and Raleigh have potential. Both great economies. Nashville has mountains nearby so there must be outdoor potential. I just visited Nashville and it seem very hip and fun. Never been to Raleigh but I hear it has that it is very educated and liberal. It must be scenic with outdoor actives. All of the Southeast has a lot of natural beauty.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times
I would say you were right with everything but a few things...the quality of life is just great here...so there are more people but that doesn't mean the quality of life has plummeted because of it. I would say costs of homes has increased greatly especially in the city proper which if you don't work downtown isn't really the end of the world (which most people don't). The only real negative has been the traffic but its due to the lack of public transportation and planning. The city has been topping the fastest growing in the USA for countless years yet the only thing that's been done to improve travel is building tolls that few people regularly use. Other than that its been amazing. Can't wait to see where Austin is in aeven a fewyears from now.s As to what city is next...it appears as though everyone wants to go south to the warmer climates and lower col. Most of the Texas cities are in the top 10 for growth and fastest growing including San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Houston. Generally people seem to wanna stay away from bama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Oklahoma from what I've seen. So I'd say Nashville (although it's not an unknown city.)

Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Columbus, Ohio? Or did I read the criteria wrong?

Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
With all due respect, I don't think there is going to be a "Next Austin". Cities like Nashville, Raleigh, and Columbus may be an alternative to someone who likes Austin but for whatever reason can't live there, or lives there already and has to move, but really I think Austin is a city that really can't be duplicated fully.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 PM

21 posts, read 33,278 times
Nashville, hands down.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:19 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I like to take back my Columbus nomination looking at the criteria as well. It is already an established city yet growing and popular.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM

383 posts, read 512,452 times
Though Columbus and Austin are very similar in being state capitals, large state university's and roughly 2 million metros. The difference is Columbus is the less hip version of Austin and due to it's location in the north, it will be tough to ever catch Austin. Overall though, Columbus has great potential and could be a drawing force for the north in the future.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
When I think of the next Austin, I don't think of cities larger or near the size of Austin. I think of smaller cities, maybe like Lafayette, LA or Fayetteville, AR.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Though Columbus and Austin are very similar in being state capitals, large state university's and roughly 2 million metros. The difference is Columbus is the less hip version of Austin and due to it's location in the north, it will be tough to ever catch Austin. Overall though, Columbus has great potential and could be a drawing force for the north in the future.
I honestly don't think this matters at all, not when hipper cities are equally Northern/cold: Chicago, D.C., Boston, Philly, NYC, Seattle, Portland, and arguably Minneapolis. I also think this country's obsession with heat (or fear of anything cold) will dwindle somewhat over time, and the "it" places today may not necessarily be the "it" places of tomorrow, including Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.