Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

IN GENERAL (that's right, i'm saying in GENERAL). I don't care about this person or that person's specific pay and benefits package for their job. So please don't go saying "how can you generalize like that, blah blah blah?"

Anyway....

IN GENERAL, howcome it seems like the benefits offered in many of these boom towns in the South just aren't that great. I mean, up here in the northeast, and other places like San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, etc, many, many people are entitled to about 3-5 weeks of paid vacation. I mean, I get 23 PTO days per year and free unlimited healthcare with no co-pays or deductibles, etc, here in Connecticut, from day ONE on the job. But when I was looking for jobs in various sunbelt cities in the South, I was extremely turned off at the fact that numerous employers only gave TWO weeks per year as the standard in vacation days, which in my opinion is inhumane. This was in the Charlotte area. I believe Florida is similar.

In my opinion, it should be federal law that ALL employers must provide a minimum of 20 vacation days per year to all employees, whether paid or unpaid. It is inhumane to make someone work 50 out of 52 weeks per year. People need time to pursue personal interests, recharge, spend time with family, travel, etc. It's one thing I hate about America.

So anyway, can anyone speak on their experiences with this?

And I don't want to hear "it all depends on your job." I know that. That's like saying so-and-so is getting paid more in Florida than their equivalent is getting paid in NYC, even though we all know that NYC jobs generally pay much more than they do in Florida. But in GENERAL is what I'm getting at here.

Last edited by JMT; 05-10-2014 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
So are you saying a national company offers different benefits to employees in different geographical areas? Or that most mom and pop companies in CT offer better benefits than mom and pop companies in the south? Are most companies in CT offering those types of benefit packages, or just a few that you have personally looked into? Is it truly location related, or just company related??? My company pays higher wages in higher COL areas, but the benefits package is the same nationwide.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So are you saying a national company offers different benefits to employees in different geographical areas? Or that most mom and pop companies in CT offer better benefits than mom and pop companies in the south? Are most companies in CT offering those types of benefit packages, or just a few that you have personally looked into? Is it truly location related, or just company related??? My company pays higher wages in higher COL areas, but the benefits package is the same nationwide.
Well based on my discussions with recruiters in the South, they made it clear to me that "the standard is only 2 weeks of vacation per year," which SUCKS!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:40 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I work for a "National" company,
The standard is ALL new employees get two week vacation if they start before July 1st, One week if they start after July 1st.

On your 1st anniversary with the company, you get "More" if you are in a Higher Grade ( Max 4 weeks for Highest Grades. ) With up to 1 more week @ 5 years, @10 @ 15 @ 20 year (Max of 6 weeks. )

If you are in higher grade with 3 or 4 weeks you don't get Additional Vacation Till 10/15'th year.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:53 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well based on my discussions with recruiters in the South, they made it clear to me that "the standard is only 2 weeks of vacation per year," which SUCKS!
Then by all means, don't move here.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:53 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Probably something to do with the Right to Work.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:05 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Exactly! I worked for a nationwide company and the benefits were the same everywhere.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly! I worked for a nationwide company and the benefits were the same everywhere.
But different states have different laws.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Every major company that I worked for ever was headquartered in the northeast, and I have always received 3-5 weeks of vacation on the first day I started the job. I can't believe employers can even justify giving their employees only two weeks of vacation anywhere. That's sad. That means the person is expected to work 96% of the year. Even 3 weeks isn't enough, in my opinion.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 PM

2,725 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Every major company that I worked for ever was headquartered in the northeast, and I have always received 3-5 weeks of vacation on the first day I started the job. I can't believe employers can even justify giving their employees only two weeks of vacation anywhere. That's sad. That means the person is expected to work 96% of the year. Even 3 weeks isn't enough, in my opinion.
Every company I've worked for has been headquartered in the northeast as well, and I've always started with 2 weeks vacation. I think you've just been lucky. 2 weeks vacation is pretty standard for a new employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.