Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:03 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times

Advertisements

I have thought about it. I don't think there are diverse suburbs and school districts outside of the Sunbelt. To some metrics, the NE metros beat the country in diversity, but when integration is factored in, these same metros in the NE fall drastically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I have thought about it. I don't think there are diverse suburbs and school districts outside of the Sunbelt. To some metrics, the NE metros beat the country in diversity, but when integration is factored in, these same metros in the NE fall drastically.
The Sunbelt fails miserably in racial integration as well. If anything I would say the North/Northeast are more racially integrated from my experiences.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say so.

LA is fairly segregated racially, and very much so economically.

Seattle is pretty integrated in both ways.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Sunbelt fails miserably in racial integration as well. If anything I would say the North/Northeast are more racially integrated from my experiences.

The Northeast is more segregated. A child in Brooklyn does not have the same educational opportunities of that of a child who lives in Manhattan. I grew up in the Sunbelt, and I attended schools that were diverse racially and economically. The high school I attended enrolled students from all soceoeconomical backgrounds. This is in Orlando, and I doubt it would be any different in other regions across the new Sunbelt.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 AM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times
The sunbelt school districts tend to be county based districts or in general tend to encompass larger areas and a given school can draw students from multiple (socioeconomically differing) municipalities; this leads the schools to be more diverse- but this isn't necessarily because the individual municipalities they draw students from are more diverse than their northern counterparts, but rather because a given school can draw from multiple municipalities, each wither a differing socioeconomic makeup from the one next to it.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The Northeast is more segregated. A child in Brooklyn does not have the same educational opportunities of that of a child who lives in Manhattan. I grew up in the Sunbelt, and I attended schools that were diverse racially and economically. The high school I attended enrolled students from all soceoeconomical backgrounds. This is in Orlando, and I doubt it would be any different in other regions across the new Sunbelt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
The sunbelt school districts tend to be county based districts or in general tend to encompass larger areas and a given school can draw students from multiple (socioeconomically differing) municipalities; this leads the schools to be more diverse- but this isn't necessarily because the individual municipalities they draw students from are more diverse than their northern counterparts, but rather because a given school can draw from multiple municipalities, each wither a differing socioeconomic makeup from the one next to it.
Exactly. Students in Brooklyn wouldn't attend schools in Manhattan and vice versa due to population density and logistics. There are many areas in the North/Northeast just like places in the Sunbelt where it's identical in terms of school districting and using one of the world's largest cities as an example against emphasizes a lack of knowledge about the rest of the country in general. Trust me as someone familair with both areas, Orlando isn't some kind of progressive example for the rest of the country to follow.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post

Sunbelt suburbs are also more integrated.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Sunbelt suburbs are also more integrated.
Nope, not even close.....particularly when factoring black and white versus hispanic.

Which U.S. Cities Are Most, Least Racially Diverse? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
In terms of a combination of integration and per capita income gaps between Whites and Blacks, Hispanics and Asians, the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro in NY is one of the best among top 100 metro areas.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of a combination of integration and per capita income gaps between Whites and Blacks, Hispanics and Asians, the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro in NY is one of the best among top 100 metro areas.

How exactly does that work? From what I know (and I'll admit I've never been there ) Newburgh is supposed to be one of the poorest, most crime-ridden, drug-infested spots in the Northeast, while Poughkeepsie is only a cut above that. So what is the "best " thing here we're talking about with racial and economic diversity? Hoodrats liberally sprinkled evenly about the MSA? That doesn't sound very appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.