Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 AM

202 posts, read 320,049 times

Advertisements

I've seen a couple in Port Clinton, Ohio. PORT CLINTON!!! I don't get the reason why any person who is proud to be an American or who lives in northern Ohio on the lake would want to raise a confederate flag but whatever ignorance is bliss.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 PM

22 posts, read 32,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
I've seen a couple in Port Clinton, Ohio. PORT CLINTON!!! I don't get the reason why any person who is proud to be an American or who lives in northern Ohio on the lake would want to raise a confederate flag but whatever ignorance is bliss.
Completely agree. There is a guy whose entire roof is a painted as the Confederate battle flag between Cincinnati and Columbus on I-71. He has one flying from a flag pole.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:49 PM

56 posts, read 79,925 times
I haven't seen any here in the DC area. I have seen a few in Pennsylvania and Western/Southern Virginia, and even in Southern Maryland (I saw a lot there). But in Western/Central MD, DC, NoVA and anywhere Northeast of there until you reach Canada, you won't see many. I'm not sure if there are any Confederate flags in New Brunswick because I've never been there. ;D

I agree, though, that a Confederate flag basically means: "I/my family support/ed slavery." Even if that wasn't its historical meaning (which it arguably was), it's what many liberals think in our Bos-Wash bubble. Sure, it's a generalization and a stereotype, and it's not correct to assume that, but we do anyways, for some reason.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
The terrorist aspect comes from it's adoption by groups such as the KKK. Yes, the flag was intended for use by the CSA military, not them. However white supremacist terrorists such as the KKK were the most enthusiastic rebel flag wavers for quite a while.
The KKK flew the stars and stripes as well. at the end of the day all flags are just simply pieces of fabric.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:13 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Pennsylvania has been mentioned a bit in this thread.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:53 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Amazingly, the biggest display of the Confederate flag I've ever seen was in Canada.

Some clown painted it on top of his roof. In freakin' Montreal. I bet he rolls hard.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Amazingly, the biggest display of the Confederate flag I've ever seen was in Canada.

Some clown painted it on top of his roof. In freakin' Montreal. I bet he rolls hard.
There is an unexpected amount of "Southern" Canadians in British Columbia as well.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM

110 posts, read 147,444 times
One of the more interesting examples that I've noticed was in extreme-rural southwestern virginia in a small coal town called Hurley. It is the logo/mascot of the local, public high school.

Hurley High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the door on the building.

I couldn't believe this was a PUBLIC high school...with African American students!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
If you're from the South...are confederate flags still considered "acceptable" around where you are from?
it is complicated because the flag has very different meanings to different people. flying it isn't really "acceptable" in the business community. if you want to be considered a professional, you won't have anything to do with it. Unfortunately, it is associated with white trash and political reactionaries.

now, there are certainly people who don't give a rip what anyone else thinks, and plenty of those folks fly the flag , and it's accepted. Sometimes these people are businessmen and politicians, who don't fly it out of hate, but for whatever reason do not mind alienating a large % of the population.

Quote:
The reason I ask is that they seem to be acceptable in some areas but not others. They seem considerably more prominent in South-Central Appalachia than the deeper south based on my travels but i've obviously not been EVERYwhere in the deep south.
what i notice is that confederate flags are quite common in areas where blacks don't live in large numbers, like the appalachians, or the rural north.

Quote:
So...If you're from the south...are they pretty visible where you are and if they are...do people have a quarrell with them or no?
you see them occasionally, but they aren't 'common'

most native-born southern whites don't have a problem with the flag, but are sensitive to the fact that many blacks DO have a problem with it.

Last edited by le roi; 05-15-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
One of the more interesting examples that I've noticed was in extreme-rural southwestern virginia in a small coal town called Hurley. It is the logo/mascot of the local, public high school.

Hurley High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the door on the building.

I couldn't believe this was a PUBLIC high school...with African American students!
this is a good example of what i meant ...

Buchanan County, VA, despite being in the south, is 97% white, and only 2.5% black

regardless of whether a white southerner supports the flag, or not, if a large % of your neighbors are black, it behooves you to take their feelings on the matter into consideration.

this sort of thing would not go down well where i'm from, which is also in the rural south, but is predominantly black. My "southern heritage" can be put up against anyone's -- entire branches of my family tree were wiped out fighting for the confederacy -- but "honoring my heritage" isn't as important as being respectful to my fellow (living) man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.