Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times

Advertisements

Not in Northern VA, which is geographically Southern but a cultural mix. In Richmond and Charlottesville, they were all over. I've seen them in TN and KY. Not yet in NC.

I chuckle when people who fly/hold to the Confederate flag have an "all-American" when the flag stands for exactly the opposite. It was a flag flown proudly by American terrorists but hey...whatever.

Just don't complain when I fly the flag of my heritage...

Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I saw more confederate flags in Washington state than when i lived in Ms and Tn.
good to know

Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Who cares? Rebel flags are an extreme example. Waving any flag is a way of saying "hooray for us, boo for them". Black Power, Dixie, Aztlan, they're all phony views.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post

I chuckle when people who fly/hold to the Confederate flag have an "all-American" when the flag stands for exactly the opposite. It was a flag flown proudly by American terrorists but hey...whatever.
That's a weird way to look at it but, ok. I'm not Southern but, I think of States rights when I see it as that is what it was all about. Things were a little different in the nineteenth century, 13 entire states seceding from the Union can hardly be called a terrorist act.

I don't have a dog in the fight so fly it or don't, I don't care either way. It does seem, though, that the people that are against it are generally just as ignorant as the people flying it.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
That's a weird way to look at it but, ok. I'm not Southern but, I think of States rights when I see it as that is what it was all about. Things were a little different in the nineteenth century, 13 entire states seceding from the Union can hardly be called a terrorist act.

I don't have a dog in the fight so fly it or don't, I don't care either way. It does seem, though, that the people that are against it are generally just as ignorant as the people flying it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
There are a couple of confederate flags being flown from the side of the interstate between Macon and Savannah and every time I see them I want to pull over and set fire to them.

Rebel flags might be seen in the south, but they are far from acceptable. Most people find them totally offensive.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There are a couple of confederate flags being flown from the side of the interstate between Macon and Savannah and every time I see them I want to pull over and set fire to them.

Rebel flags might be seen in the south, but they are far from acceptable. Most people find them totally offensive.
Wow such tolerance.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:04 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:

Clearly the point of my post was completely missed. If people don't understand the post, then they must not understand the full history of the Conferderate flag. It makes wonder if some people understand the definitions of terrorism and terrorists. Like it or not, it's a terrorist flag. That IS a significant part of it's roots, whether you want to see it that way or not. No one said anything about terrorist "acts." There is no need to try to words in other poster's mouths in the attempts to make your point stronger. I am not Southern either but I'm not going to limit its history to "13 entire state succeeding" in order to make some people feel better. Usually those people who are against it acknowledge its full history and are not willfully ignorant.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 AM

581 posts, read 968,994 times
Quote:
The terrorist aspect comes from it's adoption by groups such as the KKK. Yes, the flag was intended for use by the CSA military, not them. However white supremacist terrorists such as the KKK were the most enthusiastic rebel flag wavers for quite a while.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 AM

291 posts, read 377,730 times
I see them often here in Arkansas. Total redneck thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.