Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I understand, but it's not the same level of development.

For PSA population, Boston + Hartford = 9.5 million. Whereas Philadelphia + Washington, D.C. = 16.4 million.

On the other hand, for schools and sports, I think New York City competes more with Boston than the other cities.
On sports:

Baseball:
Yanks v Sox > Mets v Phils

Football:
Giants v Eagles > Giants v Skins > Jet v Pats

B-Ball:
tough to say anymore
Seems like a lack of rivalries anymore here to be honest

Hockey:
Rangers v Flyers slightly > Rangers v Bruins
Islanders v not sure who TBH
Devils v Flyers > Devils v Bruins

NYC has virtually no rivalry with DC or Baltimore in sports - Redskins withstanding (Nats not so much, Caps, not really, Wizards not so much)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On sports:

Baseball:
Yanks v Sox > Mets v Phils

Football:

B-Ball:
tough to say anymore

Hockey:

NYC has virtually no rivalry with DC or Baltimore in sports - Redskins withstanding (Nats not so much, Caps, not really, Wizards not so much)
I'd say the Jets-Pats rivarly has greatly intensified since Videogate. Those teams hate each other. The Skins and the Giants are rivals by virtue of being in the same division, but there's no bad blood there. Dallas is their bitter rival to the end.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have a different take on this because I tend to connect more with Boston and especially Connecticut then I do with Washington DC & Baltimore. Philadelphia of course is very close. Not sure what other New Yorkers think.

Former NYer from Long Island's North Shore. I feel the same. I attended college outside of Boston, and I absolutely connect more with New England and Boston, than I do with Philadelphia, Washington DC or Baltimore. The last seems to have a Southern influence. I don't connect to that at all.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Boston/Hartford/Providence.

There are A LOT of Italians in that whole stretch between NYC and Boston. Connecticut and Rhode Island have the highest Italian percentages of any states (followed closely by New Jersey). Boston, Providence and Hartford also have a strong West Indian presence along with large Puerto Rican and Domincian communities. Demographically, the make up is closer to New York.

In terms of the physical build, I don't think NYC has much in common with any of these places aside from being dense.
With physical build, the financial districts in both NYC and Boston seem very similar to each other but some of the residential blocks in Philly look like parts of Brooklyn, Lower Manhattan, and Queens to me. As for DC, I know some say Columbia Heights is the most "NYC looking neighborhood" (And it does look similar to Brooklyn a little bit) but other than that, the built environment and architecture of DC seems more like a cross between Boston, Richmond, Charleston, and a little bit of Philly to me. Plus, there's even a few nabes that look like they're straight out of the PNW (i.e. Takoma) and the Upper Midwest (i.e. North Michigan Park, Brookland).

Old 05-09-2014, 01:07 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
With physical build, the financial districts in both NYC and Boston seem very similar to each other but some of the residential blocks in Philly look like parts of Brooklyn, Lower Manhattan, and Queens to me. As for DC, I know some say Columbia Heights is the most "NYC looking neighborhood" (And it does look similar to Brooklyn a little bit) but other than that, the built environment and architecture of DC seems more like a cross between Boston, Richmond, Charleston, and a little bit of Philly to me. Plus, there's even a few nabes that look like they're straight out of the PNW (i.e. Takoma) and the Upper Midwest (i.e. North Michigan Park, Brookland).
DC and Chicago have similar architecture imo. Some of the rowhouses are damn near identical. There are also more setbacks with an airier, leafier feel to the streetscape.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:10 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On sports:

Baseball:
Yanks v Sox
> Mets v Phils

Football:

B-Ball:
tough to say anymore

Hockey:

Quote:
I'd say the Jets-Pats rivarly has greatly intensified since Videogate. Those teams hate each other. The Skins and the Giants are rivals by virtue of being in the same division, but there's no bad blood there. Dallas is their bitter rival to the end.
Good post KP. I think the biggest rivalry is between the Yanks and the Sox. There is some between the Giants and the Eagles but I agree with Bajan about the Redskins and the Giants. And especially about Dallas! Why are there so many Dallas fans?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Former NYer from Long Island's North Shore. I feel the same. I attended college outside of Boston, and I absolutely connect more with New England and Boston, than I do with Philadelphia, Washington DC or Baltimore. The last seems to have a Southern influence. I don't connect to that at all.
If you were from the North Shore you probably saw the similar visual look between the North Shore and say Connecticut. Especially in places like Oyster Bay, Cold Spring Harbor or Huntington Village.

We have some similarities on the South Shore (in Suffolk anyway) but you have to look in between past the newer suburbs for older places like Babylon Village, Amityville, Islip Hamlet, Sayville and Bellport. And of course the East End towns.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
DC and Chicago have similar architecture imo. Some of the rowhouses are damn near identical. There are also more setbacks with an airier, leafier feel to the streetscape.
That's true. Especially the wide avenues, boulevards, and streets even within the residential neighborhoods. Downtown DC also seems like the Chicago Loop with a buzzcut (though DT Chicago's modern architecture seems more varied and distinctive).

Old 05-09-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good post KP. I think the biggest rivalry is between the Yanks and the Sox. There is some between the Giants and the Eagles but I agree with Bajan about the Redskins and the Giants. And especially about Dallas! Why are there so many Dallas fans?
Ugh, you guys up in the NYC metro area have been invaded by the Dogboys' plague too?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Ugh, you guys up in the NYC metro area have been invaded by the Dogboys' plague too?
Yeah its like the invasion of the Body Snatchers or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.