Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

The area north of the city (lower Hudson Valley) is, in my opinion, more like New England; Georgian architecture, church steeples, etc.. The city itself, while in a class by itself, does look a bit more in tune with Philly, though.

All in all, it's splitting hairs. Boston through Philly are more similar to each other than any other region of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 AM

622 posts, read 949,449 times
For me I think New York has more in common with Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington than New York has with Hartford, Providence and Boston. New York to Washington are more similar that New York is to Boston.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The New York City metro area to the Washington, D.C. metro area is the most densely populated, economically developed and physically connected stretch of 350 or so miles in the United States. It comes closest to functioning as a single unit.

Boston has many similarities to New York City as well. However, Boston feels more remote and not as closely connected to New York City as Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. are.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM

622 posts, read 949,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The New York City metro area to the Washington, D.C. metro area is the most densely populated, economically developed and physically connected stretch of 350 or so miles in the United States. It comes closest to functioning as a single unit.

Boston has many similarities to New York City as well. However, Boston feels more remote and not as closely connected to New York City as Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. are.
There is a few more cities between Boston and New York which is Providence, Hartford, New Haven, Worcester and Springfield which fills up space between Boston and New York. There's a lot of people living around there just like Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore and Washington is between New York and Washington. Plus it is also very developed. So Boston doesn't feel remote. Just like Poughkeepsie and Montauk is close to New York but doesn't feel remote. Atlantic City, Allentown and Dover is close to Philadelphia and doesn't feel remote. Ocean City, Harrisburg and Winchester is close to Baltimore/Washington and doesn't feel remote.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...egalopolis.png

Last edited by muppethammer26; 05-09-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 11:35 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington have always felt closer to NYC than New England, to me.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:58 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Boston/Hartford/Providence.

There are A LOT of Italians in that whole stretch between NYC and Boston. Connecticut and Rhode Island have the highest Italian percentages of any states (followed closely by New Jersey). Boston, Providence and Hartford also have a strong West Indian presence along with large Puerto Rican and Domincian communities. Demographically, the make up is closer to New York.

In terms of the physical build, I don't think NYC has much in common with any of these places aside from being dense.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd say the same with Westchester is more like the Boston area, and obviously Fairfield County if that's counts as part of the NYC metro. Nassau County doesn't really feel all that similar to the Boston area.
When you say that it doesn't feel similar to the Boston area, what specifically do you mean? I'm not asking to be an ass. I'm just asking about the specific things you find to be different that give it a different feel? Is it more architecture, climate, pace, demographics and/or general demeanor of the people you come across?

How do you think Long Island compares to Northern Virginia or Maryland?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:30 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Are you from Long Island?

That is one part of the NYC metro that is most definetly more similar to the Boston area than the Philly area.
Well that might be what the LI in LINative stands for! Long story about the "Native" but to make it short I lived my entire life on Long Island including Queens.

Anyway like I said I cannot speak for other New Yorkers but I personally tend to go north and have more connections to Upstate and New England more then further south. Of course I sometimes go south, especially to Virginia, one of my favorite states. I been to Washington quite a number of times as well, although the traffic around there is getting bureaucratic. Get it, DC traffic bureaucratic!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:36 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There is a few more cities between Boston and New York which is Providence, Hartford, New Haven, Worcester and Springfield which fills up space between Boston and New York. There's a lot of people living around there just like Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore and Washington is between New York and Washington. Plus it is also very developed. So Boston doesn't feel remote. Just like Poughkeepsie and Montauk is close to New York but doesn't feel remote. Atlantic City, Allentown and Dover is close to Philadelphia and doesn't feel remote. Ocean City, Harrisburg and Winchester is close to Baltimore/Washington and doesn't feel remote.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...egalopolis.png
I understand, but it's not the same level of development.

For PSA population, Boston + Hartford = 9.5 million. Whereas Philadelphia + Washington, D.C. = 16.4 million.

On the other hand, for schools and sports, I think New York City competes more with Boston than the other cities.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Anyway like I said I cannot speak for other New Yorkers but I personally tend to go north and have more connections to Upstate and New England more then further south. Of course I sometimes go south, especially to Virginia, one of my favorite states. I been to Washington quite a number of times as well, although the traffic around there is getting bureaucratic. Get it, DC traffic bureaucratic!
I have more connections to the south of NYC. Went to school north of NYC.

As a whole, New York probably has more similarities to Philly (after taking architecture, "personality," etc. into account). But it's not by much. The big difference between NYC and Philly is that there are many more Black people in the latter. 3 of the city's last 5 mayors have been African American. And the black community is predominantly descended from the American South rather than Africa or the Caribbean. This is something that makes Philly a bit dissimilar from NYC. Boston is a bit more similar to NYC in this regard.

As you move down the East Coast from Philadelphia, any similarities with NYC are pretty much non-existent (beyond very general things like transit). Heading north of NYC, there's much more demographic similarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.