Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,391 times

Advertisements

There area lot of great State Parks out there flying under the radar of most people. What are 5 of the top State Parks and/or State Natural Areas in your state? What features, attractions, and/or activities make them noteworthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Ralph Stover Park in Bucks county just outside Philadelphia is a real local jewel

https://www.google.com/search?q=ralp...w=1280&bih=899

High Rocks Park, Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Ralph Stover State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 PM

3 I'd suggest for Washington are:

Moran State Park - 5,579 acres on Orcas Island, the largest of the San Juan Islands. 2,400 ft. tall Mount Constitution, the highest point in the archipelago, is within the park. Lakes, old growth forest, panoramic views of the San Juan Islands, Vancouver Island, Canadian Coast Ranges, Olympic Mountains, and Mt. Baker and the North Cascades.

Deception Pass State Park - 4,134 acres straddling Deception Pass, a scenic straight between Whidbey Island and Fidalgo Island. Park includes miles of seashore and lake shore.

Cape Disappointment State Park - 1,882 acres at the headlands at the mouth of the Columbia River. Ocean beaches, two scenic lighthouses (1, 2) perched high above the shore. Watch the bar pilots navigate ships across the treacherous Columbia River Bar. A Coast Guard watch station is a adjacent to the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:52 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
In Massachusetts I'd say........

Myles Standish State Forest - in Plymouth, MA near the cranberry bogs, tons of freshwater sandy kettle ponds to swim in during the summer, pine forests, camping, beautiful place.

Walden Pond - Historical and storied, and fortunately for the most part in its natural state that Henry David Thoreau would still recognize today.

Halibut Point - at the rocky tip of Cape Ann in Rockport with expansive views into the Atlantic and up to southern Maine.

Mount Greylock - At 3,491 feet out in the Berkshires, it's the highest point in the state and a tranquil and beautiful place to be and particularly spectacular with fall color.

I have a 5th one in mind. It's on a beach, it's one of my favorite places in the world, the parking is limited and at the end of a dirt road. For fear of it getting more crowded, I can't tell you.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-29-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Pennsylvania has two Lake Erie state parks - Erie Bluffs and Presque Isle - and most of Pennsylvania's populace is not aware that Pennsylvania borders on a Great Lake.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
For Illinois, I'd nominate:

- Illinois state beach park (beautiful views of Lake Michigan)
- Starved Rock state park (lovely bluffs, rivers, and waterfalls)
- Trail of tears state forest (basically an extension of the Shawnee national forest)
- Mississippi palisades state park park (edge of the driftless area and part of the great river road)
- Cache river state natural area (the cypress swamps!)

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM

Three Texas ones that deserve consideration are:

Enchanted Rock State Natural Area - 425 foot tall pink granite rock formation.

Big Bend Ranch State Park - huge 311,000 acres state park next to Big Bend National Park. Waterfalls, rock formations, desert environs.

Garner State Park - Forested hills rise above the spring fed, cypress lined Frio River in this 1,400 acre Texas Hill Country State Park.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
In Arizona I like......

Catalina State Park - Just outside Tucson with saguaro cacti covered hills on the edge of the Catalina mountain range, it's about as quintessential Arizona postcard scene as it gets.

Slide Rock- in Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona with nice forests, red rocks, and a nice creek for swimming in the summer. Unfortunately it's also popular and crowded, got to get there early!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,170,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
In Massachusetts I'd say........

Myles Standish State Forest - in Plymouth, MA near the cranberry bogs, tons of freshwater sandy kettle ponds to swim in during the summer, pine forests, camping, beautiful place.

Walden Pond - Historical and storied, and fortunately for the most part in its natural state that Henry David Thoreau would still recognize today.

Halibut Point - at the rocky tip of Cape Ann in Rockport with expansive views into the Atlantic and up to southern Maine.

Mount Greylock - At 3,491 feet out in the Berkshires, it's the highest point in the state and a tranquil and beautiful place to be and particularly spectacular with fall color.

I have a 5th one in mind. It's on a beach, it's one of my favorite places in the world, the parking is limited and at the end of a dirt road. For fear of it getting more crowded, I can't tell you.
For MA, I would add Mohawk Trail State Forest... genuine old growth woods and lots of tall pines... makes for a really beautiful and peaceful camping experience. Some very nice trails as well, particularly along the river.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,302 times
Fall Creek Falls State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.