Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 PM

623 posts, read 958,641 times

Advertisements

Denali.
Chugach
Wood-Tikchick
Katchemak Bay
Oliver Inlet State Marine Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
There were two that immediately jumped to mind:

Moran State Park
Sun Lakes State Park

I have been to others but none of them really come to mind. There are MANY that I have yet to visit and would love to as well.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I never go to state parks. They are mine, I own them, and I refuse to pay for a sticker to get in.

Four states (that I know of) have free day-use state-park entry, and they deserve mention for that. Missouri, Illinois, Pennsylvania, North Carolina.

Missourians are rightfully very proud of their 1/2-cent sales tax, which supports state parks and recreation areas and over 800 state hunting and fishing access facilities, all free for anyone to use.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-30-2014 at 09:32 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
NJ has quite a few, but IMO:

Liberty State Park - Statue of Liberty, green space, wonderful views of lower Manhattan
Island Beach State Park - beautiful stretch of untouched beaches, bay front, fishing, boating
Barnegat Lighthouse State Park - probably NJ's most well-known lighthouse, very pretty area, fishing, picnicking, nice views
High Point State Park - NJ's highest point of elevation, hiking, views
Princeton Battlefield State Park or Monmouth Battlefield State Park - historical Revolutionary War battlegrounds

Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Pennsylvania has two Lake Erie state parks - Erie Bluffs and Presque Isle - and most of Pennsylvania's populace is not aware that Pennsylvania borders on a Great Lake.
One of Pennsylvania's best State Parks has to be Ricketts Glen. Two dozen waterfalls in 13,000 acres, at one time it was considered for National Park status.

Ricketts Glen State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
In Montana:

Lewis & Clark Caverns State Park. An interesting cave system. Montana State Parks :: Lewis & Clark Caverns
Bannack State Park Montana' first gold mining town and territorial capital. It's a well preserved ghost town. Montana State Parks :: Bannack
Pictograph Cave State Park 2,000 year old cave paintings Montana State Parks :: Pictograph Cave
Makoshika State Park the badlands of Montana. Very cool. Montana State Parks :: Makoshika
Wild Horse Island State Park The name says it all. See wild horses on an island on one of the country's most beautiful lakes. Montana State Parks :: Wild Horse Island

Honorable Mention:
Spring Meadow State Park Not as glamorous as the others but it's on the edge of town and my kids love to hike, boat, fish and swim there. Plus it backs up to Montana Wild so you can sometimes see rescued bear cubs from the park. Montana State Parks :: Spring Meadow Lake

Montana is blessed with a plethora of nice State Parks as well as two world class National Parks.

My favorite state parks in Ohio are Maumee Bay State Park http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/maumeebay A beach resort on Lake Erie not far from my home town and the entire Hocking Hills State Park System. Beautiful terrain. Hocking Hills State Park - Ohio State Park Guide to Hocking Hills Cabins, Dining, Events.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Top 5 Long Island State Parks

1. Jones Beach - the famous beach
2. Bethpage SP - 5 golf courses including the famous Black course used by the PGA for the US Open.
3. Robert Moses SP - less crowded version of Jones Beach - Fire Island Lighthouse nearby. One of my favs
4. Sunken Meadow SP - hills, bluffs, and rocky beach on the Long Island Sound. Another fav
5. Montauk SP - The Lighthouse. Montauk Downs and Camp Hero nearby. The End.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunken_Meadow_State_Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Point_State_Park

Old 05-01-2014, 11:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never go to state parks. They are mine, I own them, and I refuse to pay for a sticker to get in.

Four states (that I know of) have free day-use state-park entry, and they deserve mention for that. Missouri, Illinois, Pennsylvania, North Carolina.

Missourians are rightfully very proud of their 1/2-cent sales tax, which supports state parks and recreation areas and over 800 state hunting and fishing access facilities, all free for anyone to use.
No State tax in Texas has its consequences. If it's a state park and there isn't a state tax, how do you propose its operation is funded? Do you really believe that Texans are going to support an increase in sales tax to support state parks?

Conservative economic policy, like that in Texas, always seems to have a pay to play backbone for services that many have formerly taken for granted as being free. Nothing's free.

Now that Republicans are in control of NC, I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop off the list of states with no fees to enter state parks.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:12 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
No State tax in Texas has its consequences. If it's a state park and there isn't a state tax, how do you propose its operation is funded?
Texas does have state taxes, it doesn't have a state income tax.

Texas State Parks are in great shape. Park users do have to pay a fee.

Quote:
Now that Republicans are in control of NC, I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop off the list of states with no fees to enter state parks.
Washington hasn't had a GOP Governor since 1983 and they recently decided to charge people who actually use the parks and natural areas by instituting a parking pass. People who want to avoid the charge can bike or walk into the park, forest, or natural area.

In Montana a portion of the car tabs pay for parks. People without Montana license plates on their vehicle have to buy a parking pass.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:39 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
First 5 coming to mind for Wisconsin....

* Devil's Lake: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/USA/States/DevilsLakeFromWest.jpg
* Copper Falls: http://klasjm.smugmug.com/photos/191903558-XL-1.jpg
* Wildcat Mountain: http://randyroberts.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/img-2483.jpg
* Peninsula: http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2013-10-24-EagleTower.jpg
* Wyalusing: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Wyalusing.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.