Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
what part of it makes you most speechless???
The part where you say New Orleans doesn't seem like a southern city to you is the most speech -stripping part of it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM

437 posts, read 547,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The part where you say New Orleans doesn't seem like a southern city to you is the most speech -stripping part of it to me.
It doesn't even seem like America, much less the south.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
NOLA is culturally unique so you get just a tad bit of leeway on that, although it's plain to me that American Southern culture forms the backdrop of its cultural melange. But as far as Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. go? No dice man. They are undoubtedly Southern, even with the huge influx of transplants they've received over the years.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess you're entitled to that opinion. Not that it makes it any more accurate.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:36 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
So does that same standard apply to New England culture? Or LA culture? Whenever new people move in? Do migrants dilute the culture of those areas as well?

If so then the whole south is doomed. By the poster here, you all only want to think of southern culture as a backwoods white people culture. Without new interpretations of it, which is exactly what Atlanta, and Nashville, and Charlotte, and Raleigh are doing, then I guess you can kiss southern culture goodbye.

I don't think Atlanta dilutes the southerness of Georgia. It has brought only a new interpretation of it to the state. I rather think it is you all who have too close minded of an opinion about what southern culture is and what it can be.
I'm sorry you misunderstood what I was implying. For one, I never said thought of the southern culture as backwoods regardless of what race it is so I don't know where that can from. Also, if you can't see that Atlanta dilutes the southern culture in Georgia it's simply because you refuse to or simply don't understand.

Close minded about southern culture? No, I understand that Atlanta dilutes Georgia like others are telling you as well.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:42 PM

Default !).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NOLA is culturally unique so you get just a tad bit of leeway on that, although it's plain to me that American Southern culture forms the backdrop of its cultural melange. But as far as Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. go? No dice man. They are undoubtedly Southern, even with the huge influx of transplants they've received over the years.
I totally agree (except for the part about giving the leeway based on Nawlin's uniqueness - it's uniquely SOUTHERN in my opinion and couldn't be mistaken for anything BUT southern as far as I can tell).

I mean, come on:

Looks pretty dang southern to me...

Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Cities like Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond, Virginia Beach, and Nashville are also southern, what else would you call them? Are they Deep South? No, they're Upper South. Are they still southern? Definitely!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Cities like Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond, Virginia Beach, and Nashville are also southern, what else would you call them? Are they Deep South? No, they're Upper South. Are they still southern? Definitely!
The only one that seemed southern to me is Nashville. Charlotte did somewhat outside of the city itself. I've never been to Virginia Beach so I can't speak on that one.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What is southern about atlanta in 2014??

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Quote:
The only one that seemed southern to me is Nashville. Charlotte did somewhat outside of the city itself. I've never been to Virginia Beach so I can't speak on that one.
Fair enough, but I can guarantee you those cities don't feel ANYTHING like northern cities if that's what you're going for. Ever go around Raleigh and think, "Wow! This is just like Hartford, CT and Providence, RI!" Also, Nashville has a VERY stereotypical southern image because of the country music scene, you don't really find that in other large southern cities although Charlotte has NASCAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.