Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:36 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
Dubois is just outside of Jackson Hole and not in any desert.
Mattie....have you been to Dubois?

I have.

Average annual precip for Dubois is 9.9 inches = desert

Very cool town, sage brush country in rainshadow of the Wind River Range.

BTW it's 86 miles ESE of Jackson Hole, not exactly next door

Last edited by BMI; 05-01-2014 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 AM

325 posts, read 577,188 times
Actually I lived there for five years while flying out of Jackson Airport. Dubois is on the edge but NOT in the desert.

South East of Dubois is Crowheart and the Wind River Rez - I still have friends there. That's the definition of desert. North West of Dubois is Togwotee Pass and Moran Jct - neither of which is in the desert.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Mattie....have you been to Dubois?

I have.
Stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

Quote:
BTW it's 86 miles ESE of Jackson Hole, not exactly next door
Then you haven't been there. It's due EAST of JAC airport, as the crow flies!

86mi ESE of JAC is Pinedale

Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 AM

"A desert is a barren area of land where little precipitation occurs and consequently living conditions are hostile for plant and animal life. The lack of vegetation exposes the unprotected surface of the ground to the processes of denudation. About one third of the land surface of the world is arid or semi-arid. This includes much of the polar regions where little precipitation occurs and which are sometimes called "cold deserts". Deserts can be classified by the amount of precipitation that falls, by the temperature that prevails, by the causes of desertification or by their geographical location."

Where there is vegetation like in Dubois and others I have named, it is not classified as a desert. One true place is the Atacama - where one inch of rain fell in the last decade! You cannot use the 25cm designator because plants may exist. Would you think Cody, WY is a desert?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:38 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Jerome, AZ
Rachel, NV
Page, AZ
Searchlight, NV
Truth or Consequences, NM
Bisbee, AZ
Dubois, WY
Aztec, NM
Sierra Vista, AZ
La Luz, NM
Rachel? Because of the Area 51 connection? Lol, a friend and I actually stopped in Rachel years back and ate at the Lil A'le'Inn. Not much else to see there though. A few double wides and that's about it. At least that's how it was 10 years ago. It was a "cool" experience though, in a creepy sort of way. Would have been cooler if I had seen a UFO (other than the fake one they have).

Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Where there is vegetation like in Dubois and others I have named, it is not classified as a desert. One true place is the Atacama - where one inch of rain fell in the last decade! You cannot use the 25cm designator because plants may exist. Would you think Cody, WY is a desert?
Lots of towns in deserts have landscaped and artificial greenery--that doesn't mean they aren't in the middle of a desert. Most towns have vegetation in them even in the desert--whether because they were built around a water source with some trees or imported later. By your measure--there are few if any actual "desert towns" in the US--just about every town on that list has some vegetation.

Is Palm Springs a desert town to you? It's got all kinds of lush vegetation in it, but it's clearly in the middle of a desert. How about Moab?

Last edited by Deezus; 05-02-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Lots of towns in deserts have landscaped and artificial greenery--that doesn't mean they aren't in the middle of a desert. Most towns have vegetation in them even in the desert--whether because they were built around a water source with some trees or imported later. By your measure--there are few if any actual "desert towns" in the US--just about every town on that list has some vegetation. Is Palm Springs a desert town to you? It's got all kinds of lush vegetation in it, but it's clearly in the middle of a desert. How about Moab?
I would consider any town without natural plant life (not planted palms) with less than 5.5 inches precip as desert. There are plenty of desert towns using my 5.5 incl Palm Springs, 29 Palms, Lancaster and Mojave + the Salton Sea. Moab is on the edge & it receives 2x the rainfall as Palm Springs. You will find it extremely wet in the Summer - same as the Four Corners and Alamosa - which is just south of the Colo Dunes - a true desert.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:15 PM

Btw - Cody is a desert by the ten inch rule. Anyone who has lived there, knows otherwise. It's a high semi-arid plateau with lots of trees, native grasses and huge sagebrush. You'd have to go far away to find no native grasses or trees - in what you'd consider a desert - that would be the Gas Hills area - where no one lives - not anymore.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:48 PM

36 posts, read 45,722 times
Moab gets my vote. Like a college town with no college.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:48 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

Then you haven't been there. It's due EAST of JAC airport, as the crow flies!

86mi ESE of JAC is Pinedale
Holiday Inn?...whatchu talkin' bout Willis

Yeah right budski, whatever kingtron

OK so I'm wrong it's due east. So sue me. It's still 86 miles away and that ain't next door, maybe to you.

Dubois ....9.9" annual precip = desert

Dubois is in the desert, albeit on the edge.

If you want to get picky on cool desert towns,

Jerome and Bisbee have been mentioned a few times....there are very cool no doubt
but are technically not desert, average precip well above 10 inches for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.