Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Well Suzer, MsMilford, Greentown, bldginPA, and other Pike Countians should be thrilled to note that Milford, their county seat, has just been rated as one of the ten coolest small towns in America by Budget Travel. I've been to Milford before, and while I thought it was a very nice place to visit, I don't see how the locals don't die from boredom. When I did my photo tour there I had canvassed the entire town in a short period of time, and I don't quite honestly see what makes it "cooler" than, per se, nearby Honesdale, Hawley, or Jim Thorpe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 PM

113 posts, read 415,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Well Suzer, MsMilford, Greentown, bldginPA, and other Pike Countians should be thrilled to note that Milford, their county seat, has just been rated as one of the ten coolest small towns in America by Budget Travel. I've been to Milford before, and while I thought it was a very nice place to visit, I don't see how the locals don't die from boredom. When I did my photo tour there I had canvassed the entire town in a short period of time, and I don't quite honestly see what makes it "cooler" than, per se, nearby Honesdale, Hawley, or Jim Thorpe.
Interesting!

Gotta link to the article? Thanks for posting this, I used to have a free subscription to Budget Travel at some point, but it expired long ago.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Truthfully, I never go to Milford. There's nothing there that I need that is worth the drive. It's much closer for me to hit Dickson City, Honesdale, or Matamorras.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,435 times
We stayed at the Dimmick Inn there once when we were first looking for property in Pike County. The accommodations were very nice in an old-fashioned way and there is a restaurant on the premises. I like Milford very much, but then I go for that small town, quaint feeling. But I agree, Honesdale and Hawley are also very nice towns and I'm glad I live close enough to visit those towns often.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Truthfully, I never go to Milford. There's nothing there that I need that is worth the drive. It's much closer for me to hit Dickson City, Honesdale, or Matamorras.
Um, ok.

Here's the web address for the article, anyway:

Budget Travel - 10 Coolest Small Towns, Pa.

I think there's someone posting here that might be interested in a little media-type publicity for our region.

ScrantonWilkesBarre, is this the type of publicity that's, oh positive for the area, or will it attract undesirables?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
Don't forget Grey Towers - I love to see historical things...
Grey Towers National Historic Site - Welcome!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Wow, go Milford! I think part of Milford's charm is not only is it adorable, but it is not too far from NYC, Philly, ski resorts, the ocean...all too far to go to daily, but all within 2-3 hours or so. Certainly these are desireable qualities for many folks.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:11 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Sorry, that didn't come out as I intended! I have been through the town of Milford on occasion and it is lovely. But, due to distance and family obligations, it's not somewhere I go regularly. Maybe when my kids are older and I don't spend 8 hours a day driving them around, I'll have some time to actually go to Milford and spend a day. But unfortunately right now, fun and relaxing aren't on the schedule!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 AM

13 posts, read 32,273 times
Milford is nice, and living in Dingmans Ferry now (which has few services), I am there a couple of times a week. Quite honestly though, I like Honesdale better, but then again, I grew up there.

Tina

Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry, that didn't come out as I intended! I have been through the town of Milford on occasion and it is lovely. But, due to distance and family obligations, it's not somewhere I go regularly. Maybe when my kids are older and I don't spend 8 hours a day driving them around, I'll have some time to actually go to Milford and spend a day. But unfortunately right now, fun and relaxing aren't on the schedule!
That's ok! I guess I'm feeling a little protective of my soon-to-be-new hometown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania