Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 PM

601 posts, read 760,847 times

Advertisements

Two reasons:

A) Americans have no knowledge of Japanese cuisine, and

B) Most of those sushi places just opened to cash in on a craze, when sushi was the 'omg new popular thing' in the 2000's. *cough* most of them aren't even run by Japanese people.

There's some really solid Japanese eating options in LA, I can't speak much for anywhere else though. Ramen is more popular than sushi here, and there's also a good amount of shabu shabu and bowl-meal places, and izakaya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,821,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Two reasons:

A) Americans have no knowledge of Japanese cuisine, and

B) Most of those sushi places just opened to cash in on a craze, when sushi was the 'omg new popular thing' in the 2000's. *cough* most of them aren't even run by Japanese people.

There's some really solid Japanese eating options in LA, I can't speak much for anywhere else though. Ramen is more popular than sushi here, and there's also a good amount of shabu shabu and bowl-meal places, and izakaya.
A: no, 95% of American don't.
B: yes, most Sushi places are run by Korean/Chinese. There are some more real Japanese restaurants at Sawtelle as far as I know, but for most Americans, Japanese food seems synomous to sushi, which the Japanese rarely eat in restaurants.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,942,904 times
Sushi is still common/popular in Japan but as mentioned probably more as a snack. I think it became faddish outside Japan because it's easy and convenient to make and they can turn a nice profit making it (it tends to be overpriced).

Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, in Japan 100 yen sushi is pretty popular so I don't know what you mean. Yes it's not a typical meal at a restaurant, more like a take-out kind of thing or a quick thing. The only thing I can equate to is, it's sort of like Italian restaurants here serving pizza, spaghetti, and lasagna as their main dishes. In Italy, they don't eat these on a frequent basis, I'd imagine. Although, I think "Chinese" food here is the worst offender
Pizza is surprisingly ubiquitous in Italy. It seems MOST restaurants there actually are pizzerias or have pasta, which actually surprised me since I thought there'd be more variety.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,075,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Pizza is surprisingly ubiquitous in Italy. It seems MOST restaurants there actually are pizzerias or have pasta, which actually surprised me since I thought there'd be more variety.
Now THAT is surprising, considering that pizza was popularized by Italian-Americans (even though pizza was invented in Naples) and not Italians

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Sushi is still common/popular in Japan but as mentioned probably more as a snack. I think it became faddish outside Japan because it's easy and convenient to make and they can turn a nice profit making it (it tends to be overpriced).
Tends to be overpriced? It's extremely overpriced outside of Japan. So much, that, I learned to roll my own (no pun intended )

Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,410,352 times
It's because it is really different. Looking at GI videos from the 1950s, you would see the narrators talk up niku-jaga and beef pots, but say sushi tastes like " well ... boiled rice and raw fish."

But over time people saw the delicate flavors and unique presentation and uniquely Japanese, and cemented itself as "the Japanese food" in the midns of Westerners in the 1950s/60s. It's exposure really... just like how most people think General Tso's chicken and fried rice is the extent of Chinese cuisine. Laughable, I know, but just go to small towns and villages in the midwest. To insinuate that there's more than that to Chinese is tantamount to saying something un-American or something. Heck, in the minds of many in more rural areas, they can't tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese and just call it "Asian food."

Trust me, I used to volunteer in the countryside of Indiana, I saw it.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Now THAT is surprising, considering that pizza was popularized by Italian-Americans (even though pizza was invented in Naples) and not Italians

Tends to be overpriced? It's extremely overpriced outside of Japan. So much, that, I learned to roll my own (no pun intended )
by Italian immigrants mostly from the south. I actually heard the popularity of pizza all over Italy was a more recent thing, like post 1950s, possibly even later than it's popularity in America. I've heard that if you went to a restaurant in Milan in the 50s or 60s you'd be hard pressed to find pizza, now it's hard to avoid it.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Yep, considering the cost of rice, seaweed and whatever they fill it with, they can make a killing out of it. Considering that one piece of sushi with tuna (pretty much like canned tuna) can go for $1 a pop.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 AM

6 posts, read 5,878 times
Japanese restaurants in North America are execellent.In this restaurants you find sushi/sashimi,noodles and other kinds of foods.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 AM

947 posts, read 1,473,697 times
Sushi/sashami began as fast food or rather street food centuries ago in Japan. It wasn't what people would make at home. It was quick food that people in the cities would buy from a vendor cart when they were hungry. It was also tasty to boot. Restaurants then started to offer it because it was a tasty food and some people just wanted to sit down in a nice place with music being strummed or with a geisha or serving girl beside the customer.

It became popular outside of Japan because it was tasty and there is a huge difference in quality when you compare the sushi and sushi offerings in a Japanese restaurant from the sushi offered in Korean/Chinese places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.