Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times

Advertisements

wow, unbelievable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, I always say that if you want to get a real feel for a city drive through on an interstate.
Exactly. No better way to get the taste of a city like flying through at 60mph in a metal box.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 AM

I find it strange that people are calling Richmond "country". Richmond has a dense, walkable core, but it is a fairly small city. Certainly no reason to categorize it as country. The arts scene is very strong, there are lots of dining options, several rowhouse neighborhoods, a few great museums, a large urban university and some beautiful architecture.

That being said, Richmond is much smaller than Baltimore. Baltimore has more to offer in its downtown/harbor area (more museums and amenities), and there are more neighborhoods by a long shot. However, Richmond does have a very active riverfront scene athletically with the bike and running trails, rapids and Belle Isle. There are also lots of festivals (which most cities have) and events that take place. Baltimore is much better in the transportation category, but both are lacking IMO. I think Baltimore is better for urban-lovers, and I think it's positioned to make a very strong comeback over the next 30 years. Richmond will come back too, but I think Baltimore has more potential.

Richmond has a much better crime rate which hasn't always been the case...especially in the 90s. Richmond is also growing which makes it feel like things are on the upswing. I think Baltimore is turning the corner on population loss/gain, but Richmond had a gain in 2010 and continues to grow at an even higher rate...putting it ahead of Baltimore just a bit in its resurgence.

Overall, both are great cities on the upswing. Richmond punches above its weight for a small to mid-sized city IMO.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Like what do you have in mind? It seems like the city can't get its priorities straight since they're trying to build a stadium for a minor league team instead of investing heavily in transit options or schools.

What part were you in?

Disagree. The interstate cuts right through an area that used to be known as the Harlem of the South. Doing that was pretty common when the highways were constructed during the 50s.

People keep saying this but they can never substantiate it. I've spent some time in Richmond and never got that impression. I don't even know what "accents, speech patterns, and demographics" are supposed to mean. At least you didn't try to use the statues argument.
Shockoe Bottom.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Shockoe Bottom.
Baltimore is definitely more vibrant than Richmond IME. Shockoe Bottom is adjacent to downtown and integrates fairly well. It's one of the busier neighborhoods in Richmond, alongside The Fan and Museum Districts. While built in an urban fashion, Richmond doesn't really hit any impressive density numbers and it can be quiet pretty frequently.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:22 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
I've only driven through Baltimore, but I spent a few days in Richmond several years ago and I was very impressed. It's a nice solid mid-sized city. There's some good built urbanity to it (there's even an old canal system that you can go on tours of), decent amenities, and a cool urban look. Not the most underrated city in the country, but it definitely does live in the shadows of DC and Hampton Roads.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Does everyone just forget the Fan District in Richmond? What a great place.

Home ‹ Fan District Association

Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Baltimore indeed has some country influence but it's more similar the Midwest. Richmond on the other hand is one of the most "southern" cities I've been to and been all through the American south. Might as well be Birmingham, Alabama.
Pure 100% BS

Maryland is still a Southern State regardless of opposing opinions from some characters of the deep south......

Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I find it strange that people are calling Richmond "country". Richmond has a dense, walkable core, but it is a fairly small city. Certainly no reason to categorize it as country. The arts scene is very strong, there are lots of dining options, several rowhouse neighborhoods, a few great museums, a large urban university and some beautiful architecture.

That being said, Richmond is much smaller than Baltimore. Baltimore has more to offer in its downtown/harbor area (more museums and amenities), and there are more neighborhoods by a long shot. However, Richmond does have a very active riverfront scene athletically with the bike and running trails, rapids and Belle Isle. There are also lots of festivals (which most cities have) and events that take place. Baltimore is much better in the transportation category, but both are lacking IMO. I think Baltimore is better for urban-lovers, and I think it's positioned to make a very strong comeback over the next 30 years. Richmond will come back too, but I think Baltimore has more potential.

Richmond has a much better crime rate which hasn't always been the case...especially in the 90s. Richmond is also growing which makes it feel like things are on the upswing. I think Baltimore is turning the corner on population loss/gain, but Richmond had a gain in 2010 and continues to grow at an even higher rate...putting it ahead of Baltimore just a bit in its resurgence.

Overall, both are great cities on the upswing. Richmond punches above its weight for a small to mid-sized city IMO.
I just wish they would develop more in the southern suburbs(Chesterfield County and south of Petersburg) of Richmond like they been doing with Northern Virginia. I hate that development cease to exist along the I-85/95 corridor south of Petersburg its like no mans land full of forrest. I would love to see that part of Virginia look like the I-95/US Highway 40 corridor in Northern Delaware......

Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Actually it is more southern in culture despite your dislike towards Baltimore.........
Actually, I LOVE Baltimore, and prefer northern culture over southern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.