Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

Here is liberal enclave delusion combined with southern disdain to the max.

Quote:
North Carolina and Virginia are much closer culturally than North Carolina and South Carolina, and NC and VA (nowadays at least) have far more in common with states north to new england than they do states south toward the gulf. South Carolina is 100% a southern state. North Carolina never was historically, and certainly is not today.
I just laugh every time I read this. I don't know how some people reach these crazy conclusions. It's like you have no exposure to anywhere else in the metro area or state other than your local farmer's market, Whole Foods, and Quaker meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Downtown Richmond is 87 miles from Woodbridge, which I consider to be the very beginning of the DC Metro. It's 109 miles from Downtown DC. So while Northern Virginia borders Maryland, Richmond is still a far ways off.
Which is why I said VA borders MD. As far as I know there isn't a Northern VA state. Reading comprehension?

Quote:
Baltimore is 149 miles away. How does that border Richmond? When I say that Maryland is a "border" state, I mean that it literally borders a historically northern state (Pennsylvania) and has some characteristics of that state. Richmond doesn't have that. Richmond is not even really similar to NOVA and Northern Virginians are more than eager to point that out.
I never said Richmond bordered Baltimore. I said it wasn't far from Baltimore and DC. Reading comprehension?

I do agree that the culture here is not like DC/Northern VA, but there are more influences as DC population pours down 95.

Quote:
It has quite a bit to do with it. People on here will always try to align their city with the more "northern" or "progressive" city. You always see people trying to ride the coat-tails of some northern city whether that's Raleigh-Durham likening itself to the DC area, Richmond likening itself to the DC area, DC likening itself to Philly, etc. That practice, in theory, should work the opposite direction too. For example, Richmond could liken itself to Raleigh. And Raleigh could liken itself to Charlotte. And Charlotte could liken itself to Columbia. But nobody ever does that. Comparisons to southern cities are insulting, but comparisons to northern cities are flattering.

Perhpas the greatest compliment that could be paid on City-Data is saying you went to X City and it reminded you of the West Village. Or New England. Or San Francisco.
No, you're using a conversation about Richmond being stated as one of the most southern cities in the south as a platform to address your upset over a larger trend on CD.

Quote:
I'm still warming up. I'm like the Reverend Jeremiah Wright in this jawn.
This is unfortunate for everyone in this thread.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Yeah. Growing up, visiting the Piggly Wiggly's down south to get those foods was basically the equivalent of going to Disney World for us. Since I don't go down south often anymore, I've perfected the art of boiling peanuts. There are some locally owned places that sell them in Suffolk, but that's too far of a drive and you don't get a lot for what you're paying for.

In terms of....? From an historical standpoint, Richmond was pretty active when it came to slave trading as were DC and Baltimore. So it's like Charleston from that view point. In terms of build environment and structural density, it reminds me of some parts of Brooklyn.
NYC was pretty active too.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Which is why I said VA borders MD. As far as I know there isn't a Northern VA state. Reading comprehension?
Don't be cheeky. You tried to squeeze Richmond into that category of "border" city.

Quote:
Richmond being on the upper end of the south, or a border, is hardly annexing the south into the north.
Again, what does Richmond border? Maryland borders Pennsylvania. But Richmond borders...Henrico County. Furthermore, what characteristics of a northern city does Richmond have beyond some rowhouses? Baltimore, for example, has some Italians, Poles and Irish. It's about on par with St. Louis in this regard. But Richmond has....?

Quote:
I never said Richmond was a border state. I said it wasn't far from DC. Reading comprehension?
See the above. You need to clarify what "or a border" means. What does Richmond border?

Quote:
I do agree that the culture here is not like DC/Northern VA, but there are more influences as DC population pours down 95.
I think DC is coming up much stronger on your radar than Richmond is on DC's. The nearest VRE station to Richmond is more than 50 miles away. Richmond is still a good distance from DC's most southern exurbs, which still feel very southern and really nothing like Woodbridge, Lorton, or Falls Church. There aren't that many commuters from Richmond to DC. There are some, sure, but clearly a lot less than the number commuting from Philly to NYC, which is also small (I think it's around 9,000 for a metro of 6 million).

So yeah, that Richmond-DC connection you're yearning for is some ways off.

Quote:
No, you're using a conversation about Richmond being stated as one of the southern cities in the south as a platform to address your upset over a larger trend on CD.
No. I just think this discussion trends along those same lines. People will always play up connections to northern cities and downplay connections to southern cities.

Quote:
This is unfortunate for everyone in this thread.
Reverend Wright is a G. And an alumnus of my high school.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,388 times
Quote:
That doesn't really the answer the question. If you were forced to choose one, would you say New York or Charleston?
I would choose neither since neither are similar to Richmond.I could just rephrase this as:

Pick one: New Orleans or Annapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think peninsular Charleston and in-town Richmond are pretty similar when it comes to built environment and structural density; only the architectural styles differ, with Richmond having rowhomes and Charleston having its signature single houses.
I can't remember which section it is down there, but there's one part that reminds me of Shockoe Slip.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM

797 posts, read 1,431,347 times
Richmond is southern but could also be mid atlantic, New York is northern and damn near in Canada but still is considered mid atlantic. RVA has similarities to southern cities but it also shares similarities to D.C. cities of Maryland and Delaware.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I would choose neither since neither are similar to Richmond.
That's why I said forced to choose. Is it really that hard anyway?

Charleston and Richmond are both southern cities with very walkable city centers. Demographically, the two cities are very similar.

NYC is an international megacity with the largest Jewish population outside of Israel, tons of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, Colombians, Italians, Irish, Poles, Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Indians, West Indians, Africans, etc.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-28-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Richmond is southern but could also be mid atlantic, New York is northern and damn near in Canada but still is considered mid atlantic. RVA has similarities to southern cities but it also shares similarities to D.C. cities of Maryland and Delaware.
I just want to clarify that NYC is nowhere near the Canadian border.

Champlain, NY is roughly directly north of NYC and is actually very close to Canada.

According to Google maps there is 330+ miles of land between NYC and Champlain, it is a five hour drive on a nearly direct route between NYC and Champlain. There is a further ten or so miles between Champlain and Canada.

NYC is nowhere near the border.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM

797 posts, read 1,431,347 times
I never said New York City,I was referring to upstate New York which is in the same state I believe lol and does border Canada.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Don't be cheeky. You tried to squeeze Richmond into that category of "border" city.

Again, what does Richmond border? Maryland borders Pennsylvania. But Richmond borders...Henrico County. Furthermore, what characteristics of a northern city does Richmond have beyond some rowhouses? Baltimore, for example, has some Italians, Poles and Irish. It's about on par with St. Louis in this regard. But Richmond has....?

See the above. You need to clarify what "or a border" means. What does Richmond border?
There are a good number of Catholics here (second to Baptists), since religion defines culture in your book. And no, it's not aspiring to be a northern city.

Cheeky? Right. Here's what I said:

Quote:
VA is in the upper south and is a border state to Maryland. Baltimore is not that far north of here, and while Richmond is certainly southern, it's pretty close to DC and the southern end of the BosWash corridor. Richmond being on the upper end of the south, or a border, is hardly annexing the south into the north.
What don't you agree with here? Would you say that Richmond is not the next significant city south of DC? Is it not the first city south of the BosWash corridor?

Quote:
I think DC is coming up much stronger on your radar than Richmond is on DC's. The nearest VRE station to Richmond is more than 50 miles away. Richmond is still a good distance from DC's most southern exurbs, which still feel very southern and really nothing like Woodbridge, Lorton, or Falls Church. There aren't that many commuters from Richmond to DC. There are some, sure, but clearly a lot less than the number commuting from Philly to NYC, which is also small (I think it's around 9,000 for a metro of 6 million).

So yeah, that Richmond-DC connection you're yearning for is some ways off.

No. I just think this discussion trends along those same lines. People will always play up connections to northern cities and downplay connections to southern cities.
Have you lived in Richmond? How often to do you visit? There have been a steady influx of Northern VA transplants, DC commuters (who leave at 4am to get to DC for work), and plenty others who have been moving here over the years. That's what I meant by "DC pouring down 95". Of course DC is on Richmond's radar more that Richmond is on DC's. The connection is one of close proximity and people that move between the two.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 01-28-2014 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.