Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
It depends on what you consider tourist attractions. We moved to Philly a little less than 3 years ago. On our initial visit to investigate whether we wanted to move here, we visited the two biggies: the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall in addition to taking in other sites. Since moving, we continue to explore, taking in museums, gardens, and other spots less on the national radar, saving those for when friends and family visit.

What is unique for us is living in a city with recognizable tourist attractions. We moved here from Houston and while we had many visits from friends and family, none arrived with prescribed list of "must see" attractions. Since moving to Philly, however, the experience has been different. Everyone wants to see the Liberty Bell of course and nearly everyone has wanted the guided tour of Independence Hall. I've lost count of how many times I've taken that tour, but I love it - each docent puts a different spin on it. The same with the open air bus tour. I haven't gone with each guest, but I've probably been on 4 or so trips and again, I've learned something new about Philly each time because each guide shares their own angle. We've had guests who wanted to tour the Betsy Ross House, the US Mint, have a cheesesteak at Reading Terminal Market, visit Valley Forge and have their picture taken with the LOVE sculpture. Fortunately, none of our guest have asked to pose with the Rocky statue.

One of the great things about living here is that as I see it, the streets of Philly are a tourist attraction themselves. Tourists are routinely driven through the cobblestone streets of Society Hill and Rittenhouse Square in horse drawn carriages admiring the preserved 18th and 19th century townhomes. I've yet to tire of the charm when I step out my door for a stroll, and suspect I never will. And when we head home from the movies, our path typically takes us by Independence Hall, bathed in beautiful evening light. So yea, we visit the attractions when guests visit, and we enjoy soaking in the ambience full time.

(my pix)
I would never consider boring city streets a tourist attraction.

When I when to Philly, I loved the art museum more than anything. You ought to check it out sometime.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
When I first moved to Branson I took in some of the shows and sights. But it gets old fast. I haven't even been to Silver Dollar City for more than 4 years and I don't miss it a bit.

I still enjoy looking at the incredibly beautiful lakes, however. I'll never get tired of that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-31-2013, 12:41 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I live about 5 miles from the Santa Monica Pier, so I go there to go to the beach quite often.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:44 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

When I when to Philly, I loved the art museum more than anything. You ought to check it out sometime.

20yrsinBranson
I find the streets with lined with centuries old architecture endlessly interesting and charming. And apparently so does the endless stream of folks who stand in line and pay to be toured through them on open air buses, duck vehicles and horse drawn carriage. Then there are the numerous walking tours through Society Hill and other parts of the city (here's a small sampling: All Walking Tours — Philadelphia — visitphilly.com). I still look up and discover a new architectural detail on streets I've wandered repeatedly these last few years (see below). Folks like different things. If you find my my interests boring, so be it. I don't find it worth bickering over, however.

Still, I'm a little perplexed by your second statement: I said in the first paragraph of my post that we go to museums. Did you miss that, or just assume we don't go to art museums (BTW - there are several art museums in Philly)? In fact, we are members of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

(my pic)

Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
I like hanging out and running through Central Park, walking/biking across the Brooklyn Bridge, and going to the museums. I also go to Grand Central if I need to travel somewhere. Other tourist hot spots such as Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Chrysler Tower, 9/11 Memorial, South Street Seaport, Fifth Avenue, etc...I pretty much only go there if I have visitors from out of town.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:49 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Here in San Diego we are Zoo members and go there very frequently, (we live just across the canyon, close enough to sometimes hear the Howler monkeys in our garden ) often just to walk around and enjoy the lush landscaping for an hour or so, also frequent Balboa Park museums and The Old Globe theatre (season ticket holders) very often. We also are members of the Midway Museum and sometimes just go up there on the flight deck to take in other activities going on in the Bay. Hit the beach pretty frequently (why not?), go up to La Jolla to take in its special beauty, and find any excuse to head downtown to hit up any festivals going on since we basically live next to it so I'd say we definitely live as tourists do sometimes.

With no kids though you won't see us ever going to Legoland and I hate SeaWorld- too crowded with kids- but go there once a year for partner's company picnic and then buy a year's pass for $10 and pick an off season day to go back right when it opens and ride the roller coasters a dozen times just for fun.

I think in most cities there is a reason a place is an attraction, for tourists and locals and it's a good idea to at least check it out.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Many New Yorkers loathe Times Square and never go there or anywhere near there unless its to see a Broadway show or something to do with work. Me, I don't even like going to the movies there. But I do seem to alway see a lot of kids who look like local teenagers hanging out there on the occassions when I am there.

So do you venture to, like, or loathe the big tourist attractions in your city? Do locals do Fishermans Wharf, the French Quarter, or the Strip, in San Francisco, New Orleans, and Las Vegas, just to give a few examples. Or do folks just leave the tourist spots for tourists and overexcited teenagers, like I see here?

Use any city you're in or familiar with, and please weight in.
I go to the tourist attractions whenever I have visitors or sometimes if there is a temporary free admission to certain attractions I go by myself.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
I go to Mount Rushmore maybe once or twice a year, depending on if I have any out of town visitors. I go to the Crazy Horse monument once a year when hiking is allowed. I go to other areas of the Black Hills several times a year for hiking, kayaking, and just taking in the view.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
For Chicago I think it doesn't get much more touristy than Navy Pier, and most locals avoid the place like a plague. When I first moved here I thought I'd go hang out there often, but quickly that idea went away. I probably go every 3-4 years. The last time was for a flower/garden show. I just parked, went to the show and left, I didn't mess with the boardwalk at all.

Millenium Park/Michigan Ave are also quite touristy, but I think locals go to Millenium Park more because it's right up against the financial district and many people wander over for lunch.

During summer most people avoid Michigan Ave because it's clogged with very slow moving tourists and isn't efficient to walk through. I don't think I've been with anyone and actually DRIVEN up Michigan Ave in almost 10 years. I don't know any local who would ever go up that street when there are alternatives to the east and west.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

According to trip advisor many walking tours (much is just exploring neighborhoods and architecture) are quitre highly rated by Tripadvisor FWIW

IMHO walking tours in places like a Boston, Philadelphia, Charelston, NOLA etc are among my favorite things to do TBH

Search results: philadelphia walking tour - TripAdvisor

Last edited by kidphilly; 09-03-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.