Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
King of Kensington, you're so hard-nosed about Italian-Americans. It's such a one dimensional argument. And in any case, you are turning this into a Maryland being Northeastern thread...quit hijacking my thread and go and start your own. This is really off-topic.
You're the one who brought up demographics defining what is and isn't Northeastern. No non-Northern metro area has a Black population that exceeds 25% BTW. Please explain what you mean by "Northeastern" demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
You're the one who brought up demographics defining what is and isn't Northeastern. No non-Northern metro area has a Black population that exceeds 25% BTW. Please explain what you mean by "Northeastern" demographics.
You're the one who injected Maryland into this conversation. Majority German ancestry per county, for one thing. German is the dominant ancestry per county in Maryland. This is consistent with the Northern states. The Southern states claim "American" as their dominant ancestry. As far as linguistics go, according to a widely accepted linguistic study done by the University of Pennsylvania places most of Maryland in the Northeast. If that doesn't satisfy your royal highness, I guess nothing will. Have a good one. I'm not interested in continuing this conversation any further.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Italian Americans make up a much larger percentage of the population in "midwestern" (sic.) Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse than they do in "northeastern" (sic.) Baltimore.
Those Upstate NY cities aren't Midwestern. I like the term Interior Northeast. Except for some using Pop instead of Soda in parts of Western NY and maybe things here and there, all are Northeastern. Maybe not Bos-Wash Northeastern, but Northeastern nonetheless.

Cleveland does have some Northeastern influence due to being settled originally by people from CT. Connecticut Western Reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Southern metros like Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greensboro, Nashville, Little Rock, Austin, San Antonio, Greenville SC and Huntsville AL aren't over 25% in metro population either. Philadelphia at 21% is only 5% less than metro DC and 8% less than metro Baltimore. Cleveland and Detroit are at or above 20% in their metros as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-30-2013 at 05:16 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Those Upstate NY cities aren't Midwestern. I like the term Interior Northeast. Except for some using Pop instead of Soda in parts of Western NY and maybe things here and there, all are Northeastern. Maybe not Bos-Wash Northeastern, but Northeastern nonetheless.
BosWash is a narrow heavily urbanized strip, not the Northeast region. Buffalo feels a touch "midwestern", no surprise there. Even Rochester 60 miles east doesn't feel midwestern.

Quote:
Cleveland does have some Northeastern influence due to being settled originally by people from CT. Connecticut Western Reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indeed. Why wouldn't it? These are hardly iron clad boundaries.

Quote:
Also, Southern metros like Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greensboro, Nashville, Little Rock, Austin, San Antonio, Greenville SC and Huntsville AL aren't over 25% in metro population either. Philadelphia at 21% is only 5% less than metro DC and 8% less than metro Baltimore. Cleveland and Detroit are at or above 20% in their metros as well.
I didn't say that ALL southern metros were 25% or more Black, I said there were no metros outside the South that reached that proportion. Also the *state* of Maryland is 30% Black, no non-Southern state comes even close.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
BosWash is a narrow heavily urbanized strip, not the Northeast region. Buffalo feels a touch "midwestern", no surprise there. Even Rochester 60 miles east doesn't feel midwestern.

I didn't say that ALL southern metros were 25% or more Black, I said there were no metros outside the South that reached that proportion. Also the *state* of Maryland is 30% Black, no non-Southern state comes even close.
BosWash defines the Northeast region, all the way from Boston to DC. That is a fact. I can tell you think Maryland, Baltimore, and D.C. are southern...making you delusional. And don't tell me I hijacked my own thread....this isn't about the Bos-Wash corridor. Either stick to the topic, or get off my thread.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Of course it's "about the Bos-Wash corridor" - you're using it deem Buffalo and Pittsburgh "midwestern." You're just bitter that a majority of people who voted in your poll voted "Northeastern."

Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

I know this. I was just pointing out that major metros above 25% are rare or aren't as common as people think they are, including in the South. Many of the metros in the South that aren't are in the 15-24% range. Metros like Chicago, NYC, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Columbus OH, Indianapolis, Detroit and Dayton OH are within that range as well. Rural areas in the South are the difference when comparing in that regard.

I know about MD's Black percentage, but I wouldn't discount a state that has more Black people than any other state either. Maryland is unique in that it was a state with Southern characteristics in terms of slavery, but also had a lot of Northern migration from other Southern states as well. Outside of the South, NY State is very unique in that not only did it have Northern migration from the South, but it also had a lot of immigration from the Caribbean and later Africa, as well as having a history of slavery to the point it had more slaves than GA at one time. it is no surprise that it does have the highest percentage outside of the South as well. There are other Northeastern states that also had that institution, as well as similar migration and immigration patterns. So, it may just be a matter of volume/percentage and not necessarily history. I'm not trying to argue, but just trying to show that certain things may be more available in other parts of the country than they realize.

With all of this said, all of the cities in question are still Northeastern.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-30-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Of course it's "about the Bos-Wash corridor" - you're using it deem Buffalo and Pittsburgh "midwestern." You're just bitter that a majority of people who voted in your poll voted "Northeastern."
I never said it was all of the Northeast. What I meant was that the Bos-Wash makes up the Northeast. I am not in any way contesting what is in this poll. I simply thought Buffalo and Pittsburgh were more Midwestern because they simply had more in common with the eastern Midwest than with the Bos-Wash. And that in itself calls their Northeasterness into question. Clearly the poll shows otherwise though. You are out to pick a fight, and I'm not interested in accepting your offer.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
You are out to pick a fight, and I'm not interested in accepting your offer.
Pot...kettle...black

Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
This isn't the first time I've seen people asking which region of the country Pittsburgh and Buffalo are in. In fact, the question is a dead horse that continues to be beaten despite the fact that every single one of these polls has answered by a comfortable margin that the cities are Northeastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.