Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
just cuz it's more isolated than europe doesn't mean it's impossible for americans to travel. so sick of hearing that excuse for not travelling overseas. they should just come out and admit they dont like travelling - nothing wrong with that. but it's not very expensive for the avg american to leave the country for a week or two if they want.
What's wrong with traveling within the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
wat kind of question is that?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What's wrong with traveling within the United States?
Correct me if I'm wrong but the title of this thread was "How do Americans travel Abroad ......"

Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the title of this thread was "How do Americans travel Abroad ......"
Well someone said its hard for Americans to travel abroad because we're pretty isolated.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Well someone said its hard for Americans to travel abroad because we're pretty isolated.
which is false. it's not hard or expensive for americans to travel abroad.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Guess it depends where you go, flights are expensive but it's not hard to just save up for a couple years.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Most Americans aren't that interested in visiting Latin American countries. Americans want to go to Europe (the rich parts), and that's pretty expensive.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
just cuz it's more isolated than europe doesn't mean it's impossible for americans to travel. so sick of hearing that excuse for not travelling overseas. they should just come out and admit they dont like travelling - nothing wrong with that. but it's not very expensive for the avg american to leave the country for a week or two if they want.
Sorry - the average American family earns $50,000 per year (median income), which represents income before taxes, health costs, and living expenses are deducted. Average deductions for housing and debts are about 43% of income, taxes about 18% (SSI, medicare, income), health insurance and health care about 15%, leaving 24% for food, clothing, savings, etc, or $1000 a month. Probably $150 to $200 a week goes for food (for a family of 4), so that leaves $200 a month for clothing, savings, entertainment. And just hope there are no major illnesses or that there are no major home or car repairs needed.

It is not that Americans don't like traveling overseas, it is just that in light of other expenses many of us do not see it as an option.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most Americans aren't that interested in visiting Latin American countries. Americans want to go to Europe (the rich parts), and that's pretty expensive.
Exactly. Not much attraction to South America and a lot of those countries are dictatorships. People want to go to Europe. I've been to Europe once and to England a few times but it's so expensive to fly now that it's almost impossible. I do finally have the time now that I'm retired. When I was working I had the standard two weeks off per year and so did my husband. When people change jobs they often have to start over with only one week per year and work up to two weeks. These are professional jobs.

If Americans have any money to travel it's usually to see family in other parts of our own country.

(Sometimes I wonder if threads like this where someone seems to gloat over being able to afford something are just troll threads.)

Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Guess it depends where you go, flights are expensive but it's not hard to just save up for a couple years.
you're only proving my point about people making nonsense excuses for not travelling overseas.

as i've stated, leaving the country is not particularly expensive.

also, a lot of americans do travel overseas. more americans travel overseas than international tourists visit the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.