Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,340 times

Advertisements

I've been to both places. And South Florida feels more Northeastern Transplant mixed with Caribbean culture so the locals are a bit more ruder and in your face, while Southern California mixes up with West Coast, Pacific Rim, and Mexican culture with a more laid back live and let live type of culture.

So, to whoever has been to both places. What are the biggest cultural differences you noticed between the two areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I've been to both places. And South Florida feels more Northeastern Transplant mixed with Caribbean culture so the locals are a bit more ruder and in your face, while Southern California mixes up with West Coast, Pacific Rim, and Mexican culture with a more laid back live and let live type of culture.

So, to whoever has been to both places. What are the biggest cultural differences you noticed between the two areas?

Pretty much nailed it. I've also noticed the spanish has different "accents"

Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:

I pretty much agree. I'm not sure if you meant this by "Pacific Rim" but I'll also add that there is a substantial Asian presence in SoCal which as far as I know is pretty much nonexistent or at least much more diminished in South Florida. There are definitely Northeastern Transplants in SoCal as well, along with transplants from pretty much everywhere else in the US.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
i agree with the previous posts.
There is a sultrier, more tropical aura/ feel in South Florida too. Seems more dangerous and ghetto overall imo too compared to SoCal. Also the Latino mix is different- Cuban vs Mexican...nonexistent Asian presence...and more "old" people in general whether they're from the NE or Midwest or Eastern Canada. Overall there is a "Northeastern" flavor you feel down there. Alas, definitely agree that people in (South) Florida are generally much ruder and less tolerant than their Southern CA counterparts, and higher chance of overt racism there too- i have witnessed it on several occasions and never seen anything of the same nature for all the years I've lived in CA.

On the other hand even though the people in Florida are not as nice, Southern CA is actually much more congested and stressful driving and has a more "rat race" mentality. Far more cosmopolitan too.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I pretty much agree. I'm not sure if you meant this by "Pacific Rim" but I'll also add that there is a substantial Asian presence in SoCal which as far as I know is pretty much nonexistent or at least much more diminished in South Florida. There are definitely Northeastern Transplants in SoCal as well, along with transplants from pretty much everywhere else in the US.
I mean Asian and Pacific Islander immigrants that came to California.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
the palm trees in SoCal are tall and skinny and the ones in South Florida are shorter and fatter.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:

Biggest difference:

CA - laid back
SFL - uptight

In CA, while people may hate the traffic, it was a more relaxed lifestyle. More of a live and let live mentality. In SFL, my jaw was scraping the ground for the first six months due to the unbelievable incivility. Both areas are beautiful but dang, SFL, scale back. The light JUST turned green, you'll be ok if you wait an entire second before moving!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
I hear SoCal has alot of NE transplants also.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Also, the European demographics in SoFla are probably diffirent than what you'd see in SoCal. Brits, and Spaniards in particular. SoCal has Russians, as does SoFla. Also there's alot of French Canadians is SoFla. And a descent Finnish population in Palm Beach County.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Cultural differences between SoCal and SoFla... let's see... everything? Warm and having palm trees doesn't mean they are culturally similar. It would be easier to find a few similarities, and most of those will be aesthetic only. I have lived in neither, but have lived in North and Central Florida and Northern California. ... I prefer the northern haves of both states, just a caveat. Most people so far have nailed it though. Definitely a difference in the energy/laid back flavor of the areas. As far as the "uptightness" I personally think Miami is more so than NYC, albeit on a smaller scale. At least in NYC some of the arrogance is a high brow type, intellectual type of arrogant rudeness, encountered in Miami it often comes off as just obnoxious. I know some spanish and to me it is harder to understand people in Miami, I can mostly understand people from Mexico though.

Last edited by grapico; 03-01-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.