Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,817,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
What does this mean when people say this?

Hustle and bustle and fastpaced lifestyle, no question, but culturally or socially?

Culturaly, the same accents are used, the same diversity is present, the same sports teams are followed, same media markets, etc.

Socially? Facebook makes social circles much smaller, especially when you go to school in Albany and live in NYC, or vice versa. Current college generation is much less domesticated than previous generations. Theyre everywhere.
It simply means that cultural life of Buffalo or Albany does not resemble that of New York. New York City is not a reflection of New York state when it comes to minorities, immigrants, income and almost anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,740,655 times
The only time I've ever had people confuse NY City with the State was when I was overseas. Hell, I just learned Sao Paolo was both a city and a province...same with Bangkok.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I believe Chicago and Minneapolis comprise 70-80% of their state populations, so an 8 million person city only comprising 50% of its state actually says more for Upstate IMO when you look at the former. That does also include Long Island.

Especially since "Upstate is nothing but vast nothingness" as people say, yet its got the other 40-50% of the population.
You are tripping bud. Chicago has just 25% of population of the state.Minneapolis less than that.
I think 50% stake NYC has in NYS is huge, NYC metro is even more populous than the entire NY state.

I don't think any other city dwarfs its state the way NYC dwarfs NYS....

Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM

425 posts, read 375,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
It simply means that cultural life of Buffalo or Albany does not resemble that of New York. New York City is not a reflection of New York state when it comes to minorities, immigrants, income and almost anything else.

How?

100% wrong there.

Have you ever been to Upstate NY cities? Theyre very diverse. Its not Mississippi here. Utica has the largest refugee center in the Northeast. Tons of immigrants make up that city.

Upstate cities are mainly comprised of Italians, Irish, Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, all Asians (Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.), Russians, Bosnians, Greeks, Lebanese, etc.

I fail to see how this is different from NYC, especially Italians, Blacks, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, since so many people from NYC move Upstate for cheaper COL.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Chicago has just 25% of population of Illinois... I think 50% stake NYC has in NYS is huge, any city, in a sizable state. that comes close to this?

Chicago has 9-10 million in its metro, which is about 70-80% of the state of Illinois.

NYC has 18, but that includes NJ and CT. Im speaking within NYS.

Minneapolis has 3+ million, which is 70-80% of its state. Someone else in another thread said this.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Chicago has 9-10 million in its metro, which is about 70-80% of the state of Illinois.

NYC has 18, but that includes NJ and CT. Im speaking within NYS.

Minneapolis has 3+ million, which is 70-80% of its state. Someone else in another thread said this.
So for other cities you compared their metros and for NYC city proper only? What kind of comparison is that?

NYC has 20M in the metro. That's more than the entire NYS.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
How?

100% wrong there.

Have you ever been to Upstate NY cities? Theyre very diverse. Its not Mississippi here. Utica has the largest refugee center in the Northeast. Tons of immigrants make up that city.

Upstate cities are mainly comprised of Italians, Irish, Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, all Asians (Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.), Russians, Bosnians, Greeks, Lebanese, etc.

I fail to see how this is different from NYC, especially Italians, Blacks, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, since so many people from NYC move Upstate for cheaper COL.
How about comparing percentages of foreign born residents of NYC and NYS for example?

Last edited by rebel12; 09-09-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
How about comparing percentages of foreign born residents of NYC and NYS for example?

Why would you compare a city vs a state.

The dichotomy that exists between NYC and the rest of the state is one that exists pretty much everywhere. I dont see how its this rare exception. Cities tend to be more diverse and liberal, and rural areas tend to be more homogenous and conservative.

I dont think you realize that many of these foreign born residents you speak of.... move upstate for the cheaper COL, but same convenience of living within NY (education benefits, taxes, etc.)

No? didnt think so.

If you think upstate is vast white utopia, youre very wrong, and you need to actually go to upstate cities. Its not rural Kansas here.

Do you not think it is at all possible or feasible for immigrants to move upstate? Utica is a first-stop for many actually. Theres a reason the Readers Digest called it the Second Chance City and Renaissance City. You just assume everything is in NYC because it soaks up all the media.

I wouldnt be surprised to find that Utica's foreign born population to be a quarter to 1/3. Theyre the ones actually keeping it going. If not for them itd be a ghost town by now.

Last edited by resuelppA; 09-10-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
So for other cities you compared their metros and for NYC city proper only? What kind of comparison is that?

NYC has 20M in the metro. That's more than the entire NYS.

How many of those 20m are in NY?

NYS has 19 million but the NYC metro has 20, so whats that suggest?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 AM

44,154 posts, read 44,997,095 times
I still see people posting questions for NYC on the NY State forum instead of the NYC forum. So I am still wondering why so many Americans don't know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.