Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 PM

115 posts, read 118,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Syracuse also recruits a lot of people from Boston - so I guess we should associate the entire city with the Boston Metro area.

That's the dumbest fricken' thing I've heard in a long time.

Syracuse makes a concerted effort to recruit mostly within the state.

You know.. the one with New York City in it.

Comparing that recruiting base with Boston is laughable, especially since youre luring youth from an area with tons of top schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Again, not true.

If you are a professional in upstate, such as in law, business or finance, you are connected with nyc on almost a daily basis. This is undisputable.

While conn and nj are certainly part of the nyc economy, this extends only to northern new jersey, as the rest of the state is far less "new york" and more its own state (yes, new jersey does have its own wonderful culture). as for conn, any association with nyc dries up after stamford. In new york, the associaiton stretches from the eastern tip of suffolk to niagara falls.

It is also disingenious for those on this board who have not lived in either area, to make comments. This board suffers from too many uninformed opinions.
even southern new jersey feels more like new york city then upstate new york cities such as buffalo.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
NJ & CT, it's all one metro area. I always saw Upstate as a different region, it's just so different and far. I never really associate Downstate & Upstate with each other.

I mean of course there are a few ties being that they're in the same state but they don't have much in common.

Last edited by Infamous92; 08-13-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM

93,194 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I actually think that Johnny Motts makes some valid points, especially the NYC people moving to Upstate point. For instance 75-80% of the state's inmates come from 7 mostly minority areas of NYC. Many times, family members may move Upstate to be closer to incarcerated family members, as well as for QOL/lower COL reasons. I met a lady in Auburn that moved from Queens for such reasons. Same with families with children in residential schools too.

There is also an exchange in terms of college students from Upstate and Downstate going to SUNY and CUNY schools. Same with private schools as well. For instance, here in the Syracuse City SD, there is the "Say Yes to Education"program, which allows students to attend SUNY and CUNY schools tuition free. http://
Say Yes to College | Say Yes to Education - Syracuse

You also see Syracuse University athletics market itself as NY's College Team, with ads in Times Square and Yankee Stadium. Many of the Football recruits in recent years have been PSAL guys, as Coach Marrone himself is a Bronx native that attended and played at Lehman High.

Even I grew up watching Yankees games on WPIX, Mets games on WOR and even WNYW 5 back in the early-mid 80's when they showed Soul Train late Friday nights/midnight on Saturday(which moved to WPIX later) mornings, Jets pre season games and those "Do You Know Where Your Kids Are?" quick commercials/promos. Oddly enough, we don't get any of those stations up here on Time Warner Cable.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I actually think that Johnny Motts makes some valid points, especially the NYC people moving to Upstate point. For instance 75-80% of the state's inmates come from 7 mostly minority areas of NYC. Many times, family members may move Upstate to be closer to incarcerated family members, as well as for QOL/lower COL reasons. I met a lady in Auburn that moved from Queens for such reasons. Same with families with children in residential schools too.

There is also an exchange in terms of college students from Upstate and Downstate going to SUNY and CUNY schools. Same with private schools as well. For instance, here in the Syracuse City SD, there is the "Say Yes to Education"program, which allows students to attend SUNY and CUNY schools tuition free. http://

You also see Syracuse University athletics market itself as NY's College Team, with ads in Times Square and Yankee Stadium. Many of the Football recruits in recent years have been PSAL guys, as Coach Marrone himself is a Bronx native that attended and played at Lehman High.

Even I grew up watching Yankees games on WPIX, Mets games on WOR and even WNYW 5 back in the early-mid 80's when they showed Soul Train late Friday nights/midnight on Saturday(which moved to WPIX later) mornings, Jets pre season games and those "Do You Know Where Your Kids Are?" quick commercials/promos. Oddly enough, we don't get any of those stations up here on Time Warner Cable.
none of this stuff matters because when you talk to natives of these upstate cities you spot the differences.

like i said in my first post natives from syracuse, buffalo, or rochester tend to refer nyc folks as new yorkers. As far as im concerned they are part of new york state also. So those implications right their so the differences.

a lot of jersey folks or ct folks dont even refer to nyc folks as new yorkers. Most tend to associate you from the borough that you are from.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
even southern new jersey feels more like new york city then upstate new york cities such as buffalo.

Ive lived in NJ. This is a total crock.

If South Jersey belongs anywhere culturally/geographically, its Philadelphia. How can it "feel NYC"?

Even then, there are plenty of historic/cultural cities and towns in Upstate NY that are completely interchangeable with a NJ town or city.

Whats the biggest difference? accents? really?

Culturally speaking, name one difference other than that.

Demographically, there are many similarities, not just with NJ or Upstate, but with New England as well.

Its called the Northeast.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
none of this stuff matters because when you talk to natives of these upstate cities you spot the differences.

like i said in my first post natives from syracuse, buffalo, or rochester tend to refer nyc folks as new yorkers. As far as im concerned they are part of new york state also. So those implications right their so the differences.

a lot of jersey folks or ct folks dont even refer to nyc folks as new yorkers. Most tend to associate you from the borough that you are from.

Long Island does the same thing?

Your entire basis for Upstate/Downstate difference is because people up in Central and Western NY refer to NYC as "New York" and not "the city"?

You realize on LI, destination signs say "New York X miles"?

I guess Long Island isnt downstate either.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:

No, tons of New Jersey people either say "New York" or "the city."

I lived in NJ for 3 years. Elizabeth and Somerset. Went to school there. Met plenty from all over the state to gauge an idea.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Bingo.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Ive lived in NJ. This is a total crock.

If South Jersey belongs anywhere culturally/geographically, its Philadelphia. How can it "feel NYC"?

Even then, there are plenty of historic/cultural cities and towns in Upstate NY that are completely interchangeable with a NJ town or city.

Whats the biggest difference? accents? really?

Culturally speaking, name one difference other than that.

Demographically, there are many similarities, not just with NJ or Upstate, but with New England as well.

Its called the Northeast.
i know southern new jersey is mainly considered to be close to philly. Philly wasn't even in my comments.

your not seeing the point obviously. are you aware philly is sometimes considered similar to nyc?? the point is jersey has more similarities to nyc then anything upstate thats 5 - 6 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.