Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Also, there are many Upstate who want hi-speed rail.

Its ridiculous to think that NJT goes to South Jersey but theres no lines on the Metro North that goes to even Albany, which is the same distance.
NJT is a separate train line or bus line from any NYC ones. They just have hubs in Manhattan. But of course NJT goes to South Jersey, it's a New Jersey line! And don't forget, not every line is direct to the city. Not even the Raritan Valley line, though it's rumored to be going direct soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 AM

115 posts, read 118,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
NJT is a separate train line or bus line from any NYC ones. They just have hubs in Manhattan. But of course NJT goes to South Jersey, it's a New Jersey line! And don't forget, not every line is direct to the city. Not even the Raritan Valley line, though it's rumored to be going direct soon.
How are they going to do that? Everyone on Raritan has to get on Northeast Corridor. They just not doing that anymore?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Haha, well you are certainly a minority then.

This debate just depends on what your definition of upstate is. To people in the metro area, it's outside of the metro area. To you, it includes the metro area counties of NY. But still, you can't argue that NJ is most closely related to NYC, out of the three choices. CT barely counts, IMHO. And the counties above the Bronx just don't have the proximity that Jersey does overall. I mean, New Jersey sits right across from all of Manhattan, what faces the Hudson of Brooklyn, and Staten Island. No one else can beat that. And for that reason, the two are most associated. Getting to and from Manhattan and anywhere else from NE NJ is just so so easy. Ferry, train, PATH, bus, car. Four different bridges from NJ (in Bergen, Hudson, Union, and Middlesex counties) access NYC, two tunnels. Multiple ferry ports (again, from Bergen/Hudson, and apparently soon to be Union, to Middlesex). CT and other NY counties can't boast the same

New York's influence is shown almost everywhere in NJ. I don't think the same could be said about other NY cities. Again, they have their own identities. Their own metro areas. NJ's identities really fall within whether you live closer to NYC or Philly. Sports teams. Which city you go to the most. Someone from far upstate wouldn't go to NYC every weekend. It would be too much. It's a pain to get to even from NJ sometimes because it's all a fricken island!

Well, if you live Upstate, the cities are on average an hour between eachother. Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, etc.

Albany to Buffalo is 4 hours however. Albany to NYC is two. Two hour drive (to me) is nothing. Just last week I had to take my brother to JFK, and I had to drive all over North Jersey for school stuff. Took the PA roads back Upstate since its cheaper. I usually just take 287 cause everyone FLIES on it and its like the Beltway in DC, only wayyyy less congested. It had been a while since id been to Kean, Union, etc. Bridge tolls were outrageous as usual. Got from JFK to Kean mad quick though.

Anyway, NYC's influence goes further than you think. Its such a large city, its influence is not limited to just the metro, and I think thats obvious.

I have NY1 and im in Utica. The Post and Daily News are sold here, etc. Which I dont think its national. From a regional standpoint, and culturally, it does affect the entire region not even just the metro.

Upstate cities have their own metros but its not like Philly or Boston. Theyre very provincial cities, but they know who the regional capital is. Theres a general feeling on this coast that NYC is the most influential in the Northeast, even more so than Boston and Philly. Youre on New York time. Most people I grew up with or just know from Utica are in NYC, Boston and lesser extents Philly. Those are the regional draws.

NYC is always on the news and all over the media. Its tough to escape. Plus, the sports teams too. NY sports are popular up to about Syracuse id say.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Well, if you live Upstate, the cities are on average an hour between eachother. Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, etc.

Albany to Buffalo is 4 hours however. Albany to NYC is two. Two hour drive (to me) is nothing. Just last week I had to take my brother to JFK, and I had to drive all over North Jersey for school stuff. Took the PA roads back Upstate since its cheaper. I usually just take 287 cause everyone FLIES on it and its like the Beltway in DC, only wayyyy less congested.

Anyway, NYC's influence goes further than you think. Its such a large city, its influence is not limited to just the metro.

I have NY1 and im in Utica. The Post and Daily News are sold here, etc. Which I dont think its national. From a regional standpoint, and culturally, it does affect the entire region not even just the metro.

Upstate cities have their own metros but their its not like Philly or Boston. Theyre very provincial cities, but they know who the regional capital is. Theres a general feeling on this coast that NYC is the most influential in the Northeast, even more so than Boston and Philly. Most people I grew up with or just know from Utica are in NYC, Boston and lesser extents Philly. Those are the regional draws.
Hmm, 2 hours vs my half hour?

I'm not sure about the logistics of the RVL switch, all I know is it's been rumored. So many people take the Raritan Valley Line to Newark to Penn Station, it's ridiculous. So they've been saying they want to make it direct. Not sure how, though. When I take the train I take it from Linden. That's NEC, so it's direct. I rarely make the switch in Newark, it's just annoying. Also, they've proposed putting a ferry from Elizabeth to Manhattan. That I would love! Elizabeth is 10 mins from where I live so that would be pretty great.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Hmm, 2 hours vs my half hour?

I'm not sure about the logistics of the RVL switch, all I know is it's been rumored. So many people take the Raritan Valley Line to Newark to Penn Station, it's ridiculous. So they've been saying they want to make it direct. Not sure how, though. When I take the train I take it from Linden. That's NEC, so it's direct. I rarely make the switch in Newark, it's just annoying. Also, they've proposed putting a ferry from Elizabeth to Manhattan. That I would love! Elizabeth is 10 mins from where I live so that would be pretty great.

Ive done it a million times. My friend from Utica (originally Queens) lives in South Plainfield and does the same.

Thats what I had to at Kean. Luckily its the first stop from Newark Penn.

Yeah, Linden, Rahway, etc. Youre lucky. I lived in Somerset and New Brunswick is on the NEC.

There are many in Upstate (at least on the Eastern side, Western side I have clue) that really want hi-speed rail. Albany to Grand Central in I believe 45 minutes.

It would be great for cities Upstate like Albany, Schenectady and Utica because there are many colleges here with NYC folks, and vice versa. You could work in Manhattan and live in Albany, where real estate is insanely cheap in comparison. The bedroom communities would spread even further like they do now in NE PA along 80 (referencing Pike County).

If your family is Upstate and you live in the city, forget about it. Amtrak is a huge pain in the ass.

North Jersey is pretty well connected, but south of CNJ, it gets pretty sparse and its comparable to Upstate.

There are people who dont think there is farmland in Jersey.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
]
New York's influence is shown almost everywhere in NJ. I don't think the same could be said about other NY cities. Again, they have their own identities. Their own metro areas. NJ's identities really fall within whether you live closer to NYC or Philly. Sports teams. Which city you go to the most. Someone from far upstate wouldn't go to NYC every weekend. It would be too much. It's a pain to get to even from NJ sometimes because it's all a fricken island!

I know diehard Jets fans in Utica that have season tix and make the trek every Sunday.

This past year I made it down for at least 20 Ranger games from Utica.

To elaborate further on that social networking comment I made. We have so many friends now that are all over the place. Sometimes all I see are people's pictures of whos going where this weekend and whatnot. Lots of traveling going on. Definitely more so than ever. Much more transient and networked generation.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Princeton is weird. I lived in Somerset, and thats CNJ, all NY influenced, but somewhere in that half hour drive down route 1 it becomes more Philly culturally, even if Princeton is technically in the NYC MSA.
I live in West Windsor and attended Princeton University. I assure you that we associate ourselves with NYC. Especially since the majority of people work in NYC and catch the train up. Once you get to bordentown, it gets extremely Philly-like.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
CT hates NJ, NJ hates LI, LI thinks they're the center of the universe

Westchester thinks they're Manhattan

life is hierarchy event if its not true
LOL - this is so true that it made me laugh.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
I know diehard Jets fans in Utica that have season tix and make the trek every Sunday.

This past year I made it down for at least 20 Ranger games from Utica.

To elaborate further on that social networking comment I made. We have so many friends now that are all over the place. Sometimes all I see are people's pictures of whos going where this weekend and whatnot. Lots of traveling going on. Definitely more so than ever. Much more transient and networked generation.
the point is they wouldnt go nyc as much as jersey folks which is the truth. Knowing people doesnt mean anything. Its a fact more jersey folks are in the city as compared to upstate folks(upstate meaning after dutchass county)

Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
NJ, then CT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.