Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,413,918 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd pose this question to the American people since the United States and the North American continent are among the most prone pieces of land to disasters in the world. Everywhere from the New Madrid fault in the Midwest and South, to Yellowstone in the Northwest, to the threats of tsunamis on the east and west coasts, to tornadoes striking cities in the Great Plains...how often do you worry about becoming a victim of one of these disasters? As a St. Louisan, I try not to worry about New Madrid and the twisters but you eventually sometimes stop and think to yourself, "What the f*ck am I doing living in a potential disaster area?" How often do you think and worry about becoming a victim of the most impending natural disasters in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,666,128 times
I don't really think about natural disasters too much.Where I live now,Colorado Springs,Im close enough to the mountains that I don't think a Tornado would really be able to spawn.And where I lived in Ohio,and where I'll be living again, I didn't worry about Tornados because I was close to Lake Erie.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 PM

322 posts, read 301,219 times
I am the type that has my house completely duct taped, I always have the weather and radio scanner on, and I have my basement filled with shelves of canned goods.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:47 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,039,195 times
Natural disasters? Ha!!!

It will never happen to me and my family.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 PM

104 posts, read 450,257 times
I live on a hill in central Texas. Never.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,729,253 times
We rarely worry about natural disasters. The Northeastern U.S. is LONG overdue for a major hurricane, yet it appears as if we'll finish yet another tropical season unscathed. Tornadoes are common in Pennsylvania, but they have rarely touched down in heavily-populated areas. Earthquakes are unheard of here. Pennsylvania is one of the most flood-prone states in the nation due to all of its waterways and its varied topography, yet they rarely cause physical harm. Wildfires and mudslides are rare. Mine subsidences are very, very common here, and that is probably the only disaster that I fear; I don't want the ground to swallow me up the next time I go running!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,585,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othon View Post
I live on a hill in central Texas. Never.
Mud slide? I guess? Lol. No, but tornadoes are somewhat of a threat to Central Texas.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM

322 posts, read 301,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
We rarely worry about natural disasters. The Northeastern U.S. is LONG overdue for a major hurricane, yet it appears as if we'll finish yet another tropical season unscathed. Tornadoes are common in Pennsylvania, but they have rarely touched down in heavily-populated areas. Earthquakes are unheard of here. Pennsylvania is one of the most flood-prone states in the nation due to all of its waterways and its varied topography, yet they rarely cause physical harm. Wildfires and mudslides are rare. Mine subsidences are very, very common here, and that is probably the only disaster that I fear; I don't want the ground to swallow me up the next time I go running!
Wasn't it October of 04 when that one hurricane came up and flooded out the state. That is when Pittsburgh and the western half had to call for a state of emergency for federal aid. That wasn't to long ago.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,729,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Wasn't it October of 04 when that one hurricane came up and flooded out the state. That is when Pittsburgh and the western half had to call for a state of emergency for federal aid. That wasn't to long ago.
That was merely the remnants of Hurrican Ivan, which came up the interior of the nation and flooded out much of PA. I'm referencing that it's been a LONG time since a major hurricane has hugged the coast and hit MD, DE, NJ, NY, or even New England. It's been decades. While Ivan caused horrible flooding, it didn't pack any winds up here. A hurricane hugging the coast with winds of 100+ miles per hour will devastate the heavily-populated Northeastern Seaboard. There was a segment on the Weather Channel called It Could Happen Tomorrow that profiled what would happen if a major hurricane hit the NYC area. Let's just say it would make Katrina look like a baby!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,742,798 times
honestly, never. i'm not in an area known as a 'natural disaster' hotspot. blizzards are the most likely, and i like 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.