Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do natural disasters matter?
yes 46 58.23%
no 33 41.77%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times

Advertisements

I did a search on this, nothing came up.

If you wanted to move to the South, would you decide not to live there because of floods, and hurricanes?

Would you give up California because of earthquakes, wildfires, and mudslides?

Would you give up the midwest because of tornados?

Basically, do you take into account the type of disasters before moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 04:18 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
If you wanted to move to the South, would you decide not to live there because of floods, and hurricanes?
I wouldn't move to anything along the gulf coast

Quote:
Would you give up California because of earthquakes, wildfires, and mudslides?
Sure would, I think it was stupid to build cities on faults IMO. But if California legalizes weed then I'd be over there in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Would you give up the midwest because of tornados?
Yep

Quote:
Basically, do you take into account the type of disasters before moving?
You betcha

Old 06-24-2010, 04:32 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
To be fair, most california cities were already built before the faults were discovered and if that's the case than maybe cities shouldn't have been built on Tornado alley or along the Gulf Coast or even the Northeast with their blizzard winters.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I don't want to live in a high risk hurricane area. I'd hate to risk having my home blown away/flooded/destroyed in a storm like that.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
I wouldn't ever live in tornado alley. I don't have any reason/desire to move there anyway, and it seems everyone I've known from the midwest has a tornado story. No thanks! I probably wouldn't want to live on the Florida coast either, but hurricane season is usually mild, then there's crazy years like 2004. Never been afraid of them in Orlando, though.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
We're all going to die of something. Statistically speaking, you have greater odds of growing a third eye than being killed by a natural disaster. (You do know that 72.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot, don't you?)

After a big quake in SoCal in the late '60s a guy moved to my hometown to get away from quakes. He died his first winter there with a heart attack shoveling snow.

Never have understood why anyone would build in a flood plain any where.

I live in the south now, used to live in earthquake country, and grew up where a volcano burped (big) on me. All my friends in each one of those areas think you'd be crazy to live in the other. I gotta say this about tornadoes and volcanoes...at least they are generally polite enough to give you a little warning. Earthquakes are just rude...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
I think I'd be okay with hurricanes because you usually get ample warning to evacuate. But stuff with little to no warning like major earthquakes or tornados, I don't think I could live there. England gets some earthquakes but they don't have high death counts.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 AM

902 posts, read 2,788,161 times
Earthquakes are incredibly uncommon compared to other natural disasters, yet people constantly complain that they wouldn't move to California b/c the fear of them as if the "big ones" happen all the time. I lived in California for most of my life, and while small earthquakes are happening all the time, I can't honestly say that I have ever felt one.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
The same can be said about tornadoes though. According to statistics the chances of your house being destroyed, or of you being killed/injured in a tornado in tornado alley, is around 0%.

It happens, but for the 20 people that die from them every year, 50,000,000 don't. I've lived here all my life and never ACTUALLY been afriad because of a tornado. They're really exciting when you have warnings out and big storms, but in your head you just kinda know that the chances of your house being destroyed are a needle in a haystack. I can't imagine not moving here just because of tornadoes. That would be like never going outdoors because a bird MIGHT crap on your head.

Statistically, if you stood in one spot in tornado alley, a damaging tornado would hit you once every 12,000 to 14,000 years.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 AM

902 posts, read 2,788,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
According to statistics though, the chances of your house being destroyed, or of you being killed/injured in a tornado in tornado alley is around 0%.

It happens, but for the 20 people that die from them every year, 50,000,000 don't. I've lived here all my life and never ACTUALLY been afriad because of a tornado. It's kind of like that getting hit by lightning thing.

Statistically, if you stood in one spot in tornado alley, a damaging tornado would hit you once every 12,000 to 14,000 years.
I get what you are saying, but it is impossible for the % to be 0 as people (not many) do die every year and quite a few homes are destroyed each year in tornado alley. So there technically has to be a % chance, albeit VERY very small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.