Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,929,165 times

Advertisements

Sunbelt is new rust belt. Without bubbles and housing there is almost no real economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:48 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,255,989 times
Rust Belt

Why isn't this a poll?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,599,367 times
Well, I'm continually amazed at how people assume the Sun Belt will never run into serious and irreversible water shortage problems. It's not like the underground aquifers they use are going to last forever, and desalinization is not an economical solution. (Not even the Great Lakes will last forever... which is why water will be piped down South from them, over my dead body.)

Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 PM

303 posts, read 583,792 times
I think outside Chicago I don't find the Midwest interesting .Sunbelt has allot decent cities and warm climate.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,527,935 times
South Florida's become a cesspool.
I moved here from Milwaukee in '95.
It's far from being laid back (as it once was), housing's VERY expensive, and the jobs don't pay well enough to live here unless you have income coming in from another source.
This area's been voted "rudest people" countless times, and rightfully so.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,153,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Sunbelt is new rust belt. Without bubbles and housing there is almost no real economy.
Very true. For the first time in 15 years of bouncing back between the two, Michigan and Florida, I can say it's easier to get a job in MI right now.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,752,115 times
I never could tell if there would be a real water issue in Az at some point or was it the sky is falling type mindset from other people outside the state? Colorado river has plenty of water feeding lots of areas. There's a guy on the Phoenix forum who's pretty up on all of it and he says there is no issue.I know water rates were going up a lot when we left--We paid about 60/month and the new water company we had was raising rates. I think it will be near 90/month in a few years. We had a pool, too, though.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
LOL! You obviously don't know much about industry in cities like Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, L.A., Raleigh, and other large sunbelt cities. Even smaller cities like Chattanooga, Birmingham, Charleson, Winston-Salem, Richmond, etc. have massive industry and diversified economies. You should learn something before you try to speak.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,129,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Louisville is NOT a Sun Belt city.

It's neither; it shares some of the characteristics of a Rust Belt city, but it's just geographically and climatically far enough south to not be in the Rust Belt. But, it's geo., clim. and culturally not a Sun Belt City as it is where the Midwest shakes hands with the South, so to speak.

I'm sure some die-hard Midwesterner from Peoria or Dubuque will contest my statement. I'm from Kentucky originally, have lived in Louisville and know what I'm talking about.
Louisville may not geographically be in the Sun Belt, and it may have some manufacturing history, but by today's standards, it is indeed part of the Sun Belt...it has experienced all the booms and characteristics of the New South. Louisville for only being 110 miles south of Indianapolis feels more like 200 miles south of it. Louisville has a lot in common with Richmond, Nashville, and Charlotte.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,129,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Rust Belt

Why isn't this a poll?
It's not a poll because I want people to explain why they chose what they did. A discussion on the issue I think sheds more light than some voting poll. If we can truly get to the bottom of why someone thinks the way they do, and they aren't very educated on the matter, we can correct this and then test to see whether they'd still vote the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.