Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will California Ever Lose It's #1 Ranking?
Yes, in about 30-40 years. 39 25.66%
Yes but not in our lifetime. 28 18.42%
No, California will always be #1. 62 40.79%
Other 23 15.13%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Thank you!

However, expect the Californians in this thread and Californians generally to avoid the cold hard truth above the native born Americans (read: White and Black Americans) leaving the state in an exodus, with them being called 'losers' who couldn't 'make it' in the state.

But I guess their lives matter less. Never have I seen such disregard for our fellow countrymen by one section of the country before.

Texas may seem a bit rough around the edges, but at least everyone there is welcomed with open arms.
Remove every foreign born resident in CA and it would STILL be the most populous state. Ha! Not only that, but CA has the 5th highest percentage of natives remaining in the state. So much for everyone wanting to leave the Golden State. As for the mass exodus you're craving, it's only partly true. Another factor is that whites and blacks aren't replacing themselves at a high enough rate like This is everywhere. Despite that, the amount of whites living here would be enough to make it the 5th most populous state!

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 05-05-2012 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Remove every foreign born resident in CA and it would STILL be the most populous state. Ha! Not only that, but CA has the 5th highest percentage of natives remaining in the state. So much for everyone wanting to leave the Golden State. As for the mass exodus you're craving, it's only partly true. Another factor is that whites and blacks aren't replacing themselves at a high enough rate like This is everywhere. Despite that, the amount of whites living here would be enough to make it the 5th most populous state!
That's nice, but we're looking at trends here, not a snapshot.

Look, I'm not a California basher. Really like the place, and I loved living there. But over the past twenty years, the economy has begun to spiral downward, and the trend appears to be accelerating. California used to have the country's best employment picture, now it has the worst next to Nevada. And while you can point to an influx of immigrants, the problem comes when the state's decidedly anti-business climate really deters the entrepreneurialism that once made California what it was.

I mean, I lived in San Diego for a while. Great place. But when my wife and I, two degreed professionals began looking at long-term economic prospects, we vamoosed. And, boy, are we glad we did. I realize that I'm speaking anecdotally at this point, but in our nice little neighborhood in the Southeast, we now have four different California families living within a couple of blocks. Professional couples. The people who are the building blocks of long-term economic growth.

And while all four couples sit around and talk about how much we collectively loved California and hated leaving it, we also talk about the things we hated more: The high taxes, the insane housing prices, and the deteriorating public schools. Heck, where I live, we bought our house for one-third of what we'd paid in San Diego, yet we're sending our kids to one of the top 100 school districts in the country. To be sure, where we live has its share of problems, but the general trend is for growth and economic development, whereas the trend of California is the opposite direction. And no amount of boosterism is going to change that.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
What other city catches your eyes like NYC if not Paris and only Paris?

Talk about boosting.....NY falls off quickly outside Manhattan.

First off Paris is much nicer. Then there is London, Rome, Moscow, Berlin, Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Rio, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Sydney, San Francisco, Toronto. There are lots of other cities that have great parts like NY.....

Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Look, I'm not a California basher. Really like the place, and I loved living there. But over the past twenty years, the economy has begun to spiral downward, and the trend appears to be accelerating. California used to have the country's best employment picture, now it has the worst next to Nevada. And while you can point to an influx of immigrants, the problem comes when the state's decidedly anti-business climate really deters the entrepreneurialism that once made California what it was.

I mean, I lived in San Diego for a while. Great place. But when my wife and I, two degreed professionals began looking at long-term economic prospects, we vamoosed. And, boy, are we glad we did. I realize that I'm speaking anecdotally at this point, but in our nice little neighborhood in the Southeast, we now have four different California families living within a couple of blocks. Professional couples. The people who are the building blocks of long-term economic growth.

And while all four couples sit around and talk about how much we collectively loved California and hated leaving it, we also talk about the things we hated more: The high taxes, the insane housing prices, and the deteriorating public schools. Heck, where I live, we bought our house for one-third of what we'd paid in San Diego, yet we're sending our kids to one of the top 100 school districts in the country. To be sure, where we live has its share of problems, but the general trend is for growth and economic development, whereas the trend of California is the opposite direction. And no amount of boosterism is going to change that.
Anyone who has the ability you claim, with two degreed professionals can easily make it in California if they want to. Sure its going to be easier in Georgia or North Carolina, thats not the point. If you take care of your money and make good decisions you could easily do it there.

Surely some of you people know about economic cycles and how the coastal states tend to boom and bust much harder than the rest of the country. These things are temporary. California was down in the early 90s and slowly returned to a thriving economy, and then to an all out blitz, the boom was bigger in California than in Texas. Of course then the state crashed much harder like Florida, just pounded by the housing crisis. You cant have short vision, like most of you. If California is where you want to be, it can be done.

My prediction is that many of those families who left, will want to go home in 5 years, if they were natives.

Im currently interviewing with some companies back in California, and the prospects look good. The state will always be highly coveted, as NYC is, but theres a segment of people who cant see themselves there because it has a high entry cost...

Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Well, those foreign people eventually have kids, and thus are counted as "natives" even though they adopt many of the same stances toward America as their parents: as merely a place to take advantage of and sojourn in while not taking an active part of society.

State - California
US2010

At its height, California had 17,029,126 White Americans back in 1990. Now the community has decreased to a paltry 14,956,253. The Black community at its height had 2,181,926 members, and now has decreased to 2,163,804.
Without exception, nearly every SINGLE California city has decreased its white population in the past 20 years. In addition, nearly every city in coastal California has decreased in its Black population in the past 20 years.

That really is the canary in the coal mine. If fellow, native born Americans don't want to live there, what makes you think that the foreigners and their children will want to remain there? You can't build a successful society that way.

Many Americans outside of California also don't appreciate the preferential attitude that is given to the foreign born and their children, while the native born are not only being priced out but forced out of what was once the Golden State. There really is no other state right now that is like it, not even New York.

That, combined with the bleak economic outlook, is really telling of the future. Again, I don't think Texas will catch up anytime soon because 12 million people is still 12 million people and the birthrates are nowhere where they used to be, but the future doesn't look good.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Anyone who has the ability you claim, with two degreed professionals can easily make it in California if they want to. Sure its going to be easier in Georgia or North Carolina, thats not the point. If you take care of your money and make good decisions you could easily do it there.

Surely some of you people know about economic cycles and how the coastal states tend to boom and bust much harder than the rest of the country. These things are temporary. California was down in the early 90s and slowly returned to a thriving economy, and then to an all out blitz, the boom was bigger in California than in Texas. Of course then the state crashed much harder like Florida, just pounded by the housing crisis. You cant have short vision, like most of you. If California is where you want to be, it can be done.

My prediction is that many of those families who left, will want to go home in 5 years, if they were natives.

Im currently interviewing with some companies back in California, and the prospects look good. The state will always be highly coveted, as NYC is, but theres a segment of people who cant see themselves there because it has a high entry cost...
Not really, because there comes a point where you hit critical mass. Average salaries might be higher than in other parts of the country, but actually cost of living is even higher by a good margin. All you have to do is compare home prices for a modest 3-bedroom house and you'll see what I mean.

What's more, your theory about boom-and-bust cycles is really flawed because it assumes that essentially the same regulatory climate is in place as was in the eras you cited. Unfortunately that is not the case in California where, if anything, more taxes and more regulations are being heaped on businesses. Businesses are actually relocating out of California now to neighboring states, chiefly because the business climate is the country's worst--and the migration of professionals out of the state over the past two decades is pretty well documented. It's one thing to have peaks and valleys. It's another thing entirely to create a situation where businesses cannot climb out of the hole. What's more, this situation is not temporary. It has been building for twenty years now.

California's unemployment rate has been markedly higher than the national unemployment rate over the past 20 years, and the gap keeps widening every day. This is in stark contrast to the state's traditional role where jobs and opportunity were plentiful. Today, California's unemployment rate sits 2.5% higher than the national average, a continuation of the trend we've seen for the past two decades.

So, yeah, interview for that job. Be seduced by the nice winters and the constant sunshine. Just realize that unless you either the economic elite or the bottom of the economic ladder, your prospects there are not longer as good as there once was.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Quote:
Not really, because there comes a point where you hit critical mass. Average salaries might be higher than in other parts of the country, but actually cost of living is even higher by a good margin. All you have to do is compare home prices for a modest 3-bedroom house and you'll see what I mean.

What's more, your theory about boom-and-bust cycles is really flawed because it assumes that essentially the same regulatory climate is in place as was in the eras you cited. Unfortunately that is not the case in California where, if anything, more taxes and more regulations are being heaped on businesses. Businesses are actually relocating out of California now to neighboring states, chiefly because the business climate is the country's worst--and the migration of professionals out of the state over the past two decades is pretty well documented. It's one thing to have peaks and valleys. It's another thing entirely to create a situation where businesses cannot climb out of the hole. What's more, this situation is not temporary. It has been building for twenty years now.

California's unemployment rate has been markedly higher than the national unemployment rate over the past 20 years, and the gap keeps widening every day. This is in stark contrast to the state's traditional role where jobs and opportunity were plentiful. Today, California's unemployment rate sits 2.5% higher than the national average, a continuation of the trend we've seen for the past two decades.

So, yeah, interview for that job. Be seduced by the nice winters and the constant sunshine. Just realize that unless you either the economic elite or the bottom of the economic ladder, your prospects there are not longer as good as there once was.
Maybe all the illegals and H1b workers can form a conglomeration and start forming businesses in the state. LOL!

That really is the economic future of California: uneducated workers from Latin America and the overeducated from Asia, neither of which quite have the entrepreneurial spirit of those that left the state nor do they have any way to communicate with each other.

Nearly all of California's industries, be it technology, entertainment, and even agriculture are slowly being relocated out of the state and being replaced with NOTHING.

Sure, California has a $1.9 trillion economy, but most of that money is made based on fellow Americans buying your products and trading with the rest of us. There was once a time when New York State had by far and away the largest economy, with no one seemingly catching it in sight. However, due to the fast moving nature of today's economy, assets can be relocated in a snap!

Either you're with us or you're against us, and everyday, its trending more and more toward against.

You reap what you sow.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
It'd be good for california to lose some people. it was paradise when I was a kid but the more people it adds the more the grind gets to you.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Maybe all the illegals and H1b workers can form a conglomeration and start forming businesses in the state. LOL!

That really is the economic future of California: uneducated workers from Latin America and the overeducated from Asia, neither of which quite have the entrepreneurial spirit of those that left the state nor do they have any way to communicate with each other.

Nearly all of California's industries, be it technology, entertainment, and even agriculture are slowly being relocated out of the state and being replaced with NOTHING.

Sure, California has a $1.9 trillion economy, but most of that money is made based on fellow Americans buying your products and trading with the rest of us. There was once a time when New York State had by far and away the largest economy, with no one seemingly catching it in sight. However, due to the fast moving nature of today's economy, assets can be relocated in a snap!

Either you're with us or you're against us, and everyday, its trending more and more toward against.

You reap what you sow.
This. The growth corridors for the country right now are in the Southeast, Gulf Coast, and the Great Plains.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
Quote:

Not wanting to pay higher labor costs have every bit as much of an impact as environmental/corporate tax rates when companies weigh in relocation I can assure you. If I can buy a modest home in the Bay Area for $180K I would gladly take a 30% cut in pay.

Look at the auto assembly plants in the northern tier of the US, most have migrated south and any plant startup (Toyota,Nissan, etc) chooses to locate in the South due to cheaper labor costs and a more anti-union region (Right To Work States) are all located in the South. Is Michigan, Illinois, Ohio and other Rust Belt states "anti-business" since they have lost manufacturing to the Sunbelt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.