Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How does being the state capital hurt it as far as this goes? This is true for lots of towns Charleston's size, capital or not.
Morgantown is around the same size, if you count the students and isnt so dead at night.

Also, ive been to quite a few state capitals that are more lively than Charleston.

It just feels empty after 7pm, and if you go there on a weekend it is the same thing.

Ive driven through Charleston on 6pm on a Sunday and hardly saw a car on the road, or a person outside, and this is in the summer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,640 times
I've driven through Charleston numerous times but haven't stopped, though I'd like to.

I'm not the biggest fan of West Virginia at all, but I've always liked Charleston for some reason. It's interesting in how it's laid out along the river & has impressive urban structure in some places IMO.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Morgantown is around the same size, if you count the students and isnt so dead at night.

Also, ive been to quite a few state capitals that are more lively than Charleston.

It just feels empty after 7pm, and if you go there on a weekend it is the same thing.

Ive driven through Charleston on 6pm on a Sunday and hardly saw a car on the road, or a person outside, and this is in the summer.
And what does Charleston being the state capital have to do with this specifically? Seems to be totally irrelevant.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And what does Charleston being the state capital have to do with this specifically? Seems to be totally irrelevant.
Nobody said Charleston being the capital is the reason it is quiet. So you are right it is irrelevant, but what I was saying is other capitals ive been had more activity.

Charleston being the capital of WV gives it an economic boost. Capital cities tend to be wealthy, and while Charleston is not wealthy by US standards, it is a wealthy city for WV.

It is a nice town, but a little boring IMO.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 AM

6,072 posts, read 9,098,885 times
Folks, Charleston isn't dead all day long. From 7-5 you not only have the massive business crowd, but people are walking the streets and enjoying the parks and shopping. And right now, there is nothing that feels empty in Charleston because it is experiencing growth in bot business and population. Several large construction projects that are creating jobs in downtown, as well as new stores and restaurants are bringing people in.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
Quote:

Morgantown isn't so dead at night because hordes of college students can head straight out of their dorms and nearby houses (believe me I was one of them) to countless bars up and down High Street for a damn good time. Ninety percent or more of these people aren't permanent residents of Morgantown and never will be. They come to town, stay for a fraction of the year for four or five or six years and then mostly head elsewhere. You can't really compare nightlife in a college town to nightlife in other cities that don't have a large population of students.

Charleston has a decent downtown given that the population is only around 50,000. I wouldn't exactly say it was thriving at night by any stretch but it still has a reasonable amount to offer outside of work hours.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Morgantown isn't so dead at night because hordes of college students can head straight out of their dorms and nearby houses (believe me I was one of them) to countless bars up and down High Street for a damn good time. Ninety percent or more of these people aren't permanent residents of Morgantown and never will be. They come to town, stay for a fraction of the year for four or five or six years and then mostly head elsewhere. You can't really compare nightlife in a college town to nightlife in other cities that don't have a large population of students.

Charleston has a decent downtown given that the population is only around 50,000. I wouldn't exactly say it was thriving at night by any stretch but it still has a reasonable amount to offer outside of work hours.
Morgantown's vibrant nightlife is not the discussion at hand. Charleston's lack of activity after working hours is. Lets not make this another morgantown vs cith x threads espcially since morgantown is not the topic.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
Quote:
Morgantown's vibrant nightlife is not the discussion at hand. Charleston's lack of activity after working hours is. Lets not make this another morgantown vs cith x threads espcially since morgantown is not the topic.
The topic is how do people feel about Charleston compared to other cities of similar size. You brought up Morgantown's nightlife as a comparison (as you usually do) and I commented on the inaccuracy of your post.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 02-14-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Nobody said Charleston being the capital is the reason it is quiet.
Lammius alluded to that on the first page.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
The topic is how do people feel about Charleston compared to other cities of similar size. You brought up Morgantown's nightlife as a comparison (as you usually do) and I commented on the inaccuracy of your post.
Good point.

What i said was accurate. Morgantown does have things going on all the time, and not just nightlife. Downtown charleston is empty outsixe of working hours. You reason is good but my point remains. Furthermore all of charleston seems dead. My guess is because the city has a lot of land area but low density. Charleston looks bigger than it is and feels smaller than it is. Im not the only one who thinks this too. Several commentors have expressed this opinion too. It isnt evrn a bad thing to some people, as quiet and unexciting are desirable to some.

To be honest i dont think chadleston has a good nightlife, even considering its size. Charleston has many strenghts but that is not one of them. Maybe before charleston lost half its population it was more fun.

Finally your wvu comment applies to Charleston. If the capital wasnt there it would be a ghost town instead of feeling like one. Perhaps it would be better to compare charleston to other state capitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.