Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
You said those areas aren't just "industrial", they are retail areas. But most of the retail shops you'll find there (car parts, tire sales, etc.) are places that need a sizable inventory to be effective, so they will usually run out of a warehouse anyway, in Canada or in the US. Nobody in Canada considers those places "retail areas" even though you can technically go there and buy something.
That what I'm not sure about .In the US car wash ,used cars ,car parts ,discont stores , U-hall ,cash shop ,storage ,auto body ,bicycle service ,computer store ,Beauty shop ,car sales ,tire sales ,rent a car ,windows ,Jewellers , cleaners ,car parts , part and transmission , oil filters for cars ,motors for cars ,furniture and mattress ,rental and services may be under rental and services and not under industrial zones !! Where in Canada it under industrial zones and not rental and services

I have even seen some places in Toronto put hotels and restaurants in idustrial zones !!

I took drive in Toronto suburb Mississauga some time ago and was looking for restaurant or fast food place and could not find any !! I had to look it up in map program and it was more tucked away. And had I gone to some US cities this would not been case.

Most of these servicers in US are line up on strip to get people to slow down and pull in.Area in Las Vegas commercial strip.Yet for some reason Canada does not seem to be into this.

If they put alot of that stuff in industrial zones in non grid system and tucked way one will think the city has little rental and services and that not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Major ones in Atlanta I can think of would be Fulton Industrial and Marietta Blvd on the westside of town.
Fulton Industrial was the first thing that came to my head.

ATL

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

A few in DFW

DFW - Google Maps

DFW - Google Maps

DFW - Google Maps

DFW - Google Maps

DFW - Google Maps

To the OP you got to check out the larger logistics and distribution hubs of the US.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
If you go to page 42 of this study: www.hemson.com/downloads/GrowthOutlookForGGH%2017Jan2005a.pdf (broken link)

It says the Greater Toronto Area has the highest square industrial floor space per capita in North America, slightly edging out Atlanta, Dallas and Chicago, and almost double that of Los Angeles-Riverside. This is in big part due to trade with the United States, which has made the Toronto area a major distribution hub and manufacturing area.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
If you go to page 42 of this study: www.hemson.com/downloads/GrowthOutlookForGGH%2017Jan2005a.pdf (http://www.hemson.com/downloads/GrowthOutlookForGGH%2017Jan2005a.pdf - broken link)

It says the Greater Toronto Area has the highest square industrial floor space per capita in North America, slightly edging out Atlanta, Dallas and Chicago, and almost double that of Los Angeles-Riverside. This is in big part due to trade with the United States, which has made the Toronto area a major distribution hub and manufacturing area.
I think "per capita" is the operative word here. L.A./Riverside is still one of the largest manufacturing/distribution hubs in North America, if not the world.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
What annie said:

From the eastern edge of central Houston along the ship channel and across South Bay two Baytown covers slightly more that 20 miles of uninterrupted industrial activity: Baytown, TX - Google Maps

"Houston is one of the world’s largest manufacturing centers for petrochemicals, and the $15 billion petrochemical complex at the Houston Ship Channel is the largest in the country."
Economy of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting that the discussion goes on ignoring your points about Houston's massive industrial area. I suspect they dont know what to make of a huge manufacturing industrial area like this. It doesnt fit their model of industrial area means warehouse distribution of low impact manufacturing in tilt all buildings similar to those of warehouse and distribution. But to be honest, I dont know why. Some data shown in a different post had Houston's GDP/capita extremely high which has to be in part due to the petrochemical complex. Its a gem and a global scale complex, but it is unique to Tx in the US, so it gets discounted--- flyover itis?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
What annie said:

From the eastern edge of central Houston along the ship channel and across South Bay two Baytown covers slightly more that 20 miles of uninterrupted industrial activity: Baytown, TX - Google Maps

"Houston is one of the world’s largest manufacturing centers for petrochemicals, and the $15 billion petrochemical complex at the Houston Ship Channel is the largest in the country."
Economy of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hard to say that Baytown is Houston.... it's a separate city and separated from Houston by a body of water from what I remember.

Port Arthur, TX is much more industrial as a whole.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Hard to say that Baytown is Houston.... it's a separate city and separated from Houston by a body of water from what I remember.

Port Arthur, TX is much more industrial as a whole.
The region is known as Houston/Baytown/Sugarland and Baytown is consider part of Houston with no large body of water separating the two. The Ship channel starts less than 5 miles from Downtown Houston and runs to Baytown to the East and down to Texas City to the Southeast where more refineries/plants are located. This is the great North American industrial zone.

Its also a great manufacturing zone unlike many warehouse laden industrial zones, the wareshouse equivalent for their products are pipelines and storage tanks for the many liquid products they process and produce. The port of Houston is part of this area as well and is the largest US port for International tonnage and the second busiest port in the US.

All these rankings are before the panama canal widening impacts which wil be significant as Asian Pacific ships can go to Houston thru the canal rather than unload in CA then haul cars etc across the US to middle US continent locations.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 PM

20 posts, read 53,461 times
One i can think of right off the top of my head is in the area I grew up in the Cleveland suburb of Beachwood. "Commerce Park" was set up by the city and really gave it the boost to grow into the economic heart of the east side. Since this image was taken, the whole area to the south east has been developed with new office buildings, including a nice new hq tower

Old 04-08-2012, 04:28 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,118 times
Take a good look at Baton Rouge, LA!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Interesting that the discussion goes on ignoring your points about Houston's massive industrial area. I suspect they dont know what to make of a huge manufacturing industrial area like this. It doesnt fit their model of industrial area means warehouse distribution of low impact manufacturing in tilt all buildings similar to those of warehouse and distribution. But to be honest, I dont know why. Some data shown in a different post had Houston's GDP/capita extremely high which has to be in part due to the petrochemical complex. Its a gem and a global scale complex, but it is unique to Tx in the US, so it gets discounted--- flyover itis?
Are you sure those industrial area in the US or Canada are just factories and warehouses and not retail and services , bars ,restaurants and fast food ,car wash ,used cars ,car parts ,discont stores , U-hall , cash shop , storage , auto body , bicycle service , computer store , Beauty shop , car sales , tire sales , rent a car , windows , beauty salons , Jewellers , cleaners , pet store , car parts , part and transmission , supper mart ,used cars , laundry mat ,nails and hair cut ,oil filters for cars ,motors for cars ,car sales so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.