Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times

Advertisements

I was pleasantly surprised that I liked:

San Antonio
Austin
But most of all: DENVER! LOVE Denver!

Denver because I HATE cold!!! I run from it every year! I didn't realize that Denver had such beautiful weather before I went there. It was NICE!!!

Surprised I hated Boston. Thought I'd like it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Washington DC. It has a bad reputation in many ways, some deserved I guess, but as a place to visit I was very pleasantly surprised. Lots to see and do and actually quite a fun place.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Jacksonville,Nc- I always heard the city consit of only Tatoo palors,Strip Clubs, Barbershops,and Marines with overweight wifes. Well that was all VERY true however it is safe,low crime, and pluthera of ethic\social backgrounds. Negative there are a few families which own everthing and need to get bumped off their soapbox. If you are overweight(woman) and seeking a companion Jacksonville,Nc is your slice of perfection. I am Not bashing anyone for the Record!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:55 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Can't believe I forgot my city!

I was VERY surprised that I LOVE Washington DC.

I moved to Washington DC under duress, kicking & screaming... But soon found that I LOVE it.
Imagine, having never been to Washington, hear what people say about it and find out that you're moving there from Italy... TERRIFYING!

I also found that I actually like Baltimore a LOT more than I thought. I'd still never live there, but there are some things I've found that I like about it. Never imagined that either.

I was surprised to find that I DON'T like New York City... Always thought I'd like it there, until I moved to Brooklyn and could not wait to leave...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
La Crosse, Wisconsin (right off that stretch of I-90 before entering Minnesota). I first went there as part of a "county hunting" road trip after leaving Winona. For some reason, I thought it'd be "Sprawlsville", but I was wrong. The downtown was very active, both in auto and foot traffic, and there was a really fascinating antique shop (and I'm not really too into those things). The local restaurants aren't too good, though (had an awful pizza and the "destination" restaurant there isn't too great, either).

Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM

51 posts, read 144,678 times
Default I was pleasantly surprised with NYC

I visited NYC (Manhattan) a few years ago. I was expecting all the rude stereotypes:

The rudeness ("Shaddap!; "Whats it to ya?")
The accent ("Toity toid Street")
The hustle bustle (yes, there was plenty of that)

And yet, when I talked to people there, they were the nicest people ever. I looked like a doofy tourist too, and I was from Iowa. Grubby clothes, camera looped over my neck, sweating from walking too much........I looked like Eddie Albert from "Green Acres".

Yet the people were the nicest ever. New York also didn't seem all that intimidating, but an actual place. I loved the architecture, the stores, the beauty of it all, and the people.

I (heart) New York.

For the record, all those negative NYC stereotypes were found in another place: Seattle. At least that was my impression.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFive175 View Post
I visited NYC (Manhattan) a few years ago. I was expecting all the rude stereotypes:

The rudeness ("Shaddap!; "Whats it to ya?")
The accent ("Toity toid Street")
The hustle bustle (yes, there was plenty of that)

And yet, when I talked to people there, they were the nicest people ever. I looked like a doofy tourist too, and I was from Iowa. Grubby clothes, camera looped over my neck, sweating from walking too much........I looked like Eddie Albert from "Green Acres".

Yet the people were the nicest ever. New York also didn't seem all that intimidating, but an actual place. I loved the architecture, the stores, the beauty of it all, and the people.

I (heart) New York.

For the record, all those negative NYC stereotypes were found in another place: Seattle. At least that was my impression.
I can agree with this. I don't remember meeting any rude people in NYC. I even had people hold doors open for me.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:49 AM

408 posts, read 997,597 times
I was surprised to have liked Salt Lake City.

I was nervous about the Mormon presence, but aside from issues that do not concern me (school ones), I didn't find the Mormons to be as bad as people make them out to be. I also expected SLC to be small. While it is definitely smaller than Chicago (my hometown), I didn't really get this vibe; in fact, I found it pleasurable to have things closer in distance and time, yet still retain its independence. The city's proximity to great outdoor activities is also impressive. Finally, the weather was nice. I enjoyed the dryness, at least in August.

I would definitely make another trip to SLC!

Old 12-24-2011, 03:59 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Indy. Far more walkable downtown than I expected, especially along the canal.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
I was surprised that I liked Denver, CO over most parts of South Florida (with the exception of Sarasota). I am from NY and have been deprived of good beaches all my life so it was a bit of a shock knowing that I would go back to Denver before I'd go back to most areas of South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.