Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

For me:

Grand Canyon - Surprisingly green driving up to the canyon rim, it was wooded and looked more like Maine than the desert SW. The north rim gets like 40 inches of rain and has bison too! (another surprise). The canyon itself deserves it's reputation though, it's even more amazing than I imagined.

Memphis - I expected the inner city to be more vibrant, but aside from Beale it was eerily empty.

Texas - Greener than I expected...for some reason my image of Texas comes from cowboy movies, but those are mostly set in the arid far west. Even in the panhandle it was mostly tilled green fields.

Northern Arizona and New Mexico - it's probably just where the interstate went, but for the height I didn't see that many mountains. It's mostly elevated tablelands.

Virginia was really nice.

DC was cooler than I expected. I like the vibe there. I expected it to be more staid but it's actually kinda hip.

Share some things you found surprising about a place you visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:27 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,981 times
San Francisco - colder than I expected. I was a little confused when my dad told me to pack a hoodie. I realized why when I got there and it was 50 F in June.

Alaska - warmer and more mosquitoes than I expected. Juneau surprised the most because I thought it would be a lot smaller considering it was isolated by road.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Alabama - There are mountain ranges all the way down into the east-central part of the state.

Florida - Aside from the southern tip, it's covered in pine trees.

Missouri - The only truly flat part of the state is the "bootheel." Even the plains areas have rolling hills.

Tennessee - Aside from the western quarter, it's very hilly/mountainous.

Texas - It was consistently windy everywhere except around Houston.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Iowa - Probably the most scenic farmland I've seen in this country with charming bucolic little towns and rolling hills, not very much of it is flat.

Durango/Telluride and SW Colorado - I knew the Rockies were impressive but this part of Colorado is just outstanding and quite colorful and amazing mountain peaks and terrain. The towns also have a lot of historic charm, fairly affluent, with plenty to do and that came quite unexpected since this area is relatively isolated.

Flagstaff, AZ - Before I had any familiarity with the Southwest I assumed it was just another small city in the Arizona desert, but it's definitely not. Flagstaff is a little slice of Colorado high above the deserts in Arizona covered with ponderosa pines forests with impressive alpine mountain peaks nearby. The downtown has quite a bit of pioneer charm and it's a nice college town as well. Flagstaff gets a lot of snow in the winter and it's a great place to cool off in the summer.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-30-2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
This seems a lot like the first impressions thread....

Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
This seems a lot like the first impressions thread....
Let this be what it is, First Impression thread seems to be all about big cities anyways. This thread is about pre-conceived impressions that changed when they actually got there.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For me:

Grand Canyon - Surprisingly green driving up to the canyon rim, it was wooded and looked more like Maine than the desert SW. The north rim gets like 40 inches of rain and has bison too! (another surprise). The canyon itself deserves it's reputation though, it's even more amazing than I imagined.

Memphis - I expected the inner city to be more vibrant, but aside from Beale it was eerily empty.

Texas - Greener than I expected...for some reason my image of Texas comes from cowboy movies, but those are mostly set in the arid far west. Even in the panhandle it was mostly tilled green fields.

Northern Arizona and New Mexico - it's probably just where the interstate went, but for the height I didn't see that many mountains. It's mostly elevated tablelands.

Virginia was really nice.

DC was cooler than I expected. I like the vibe there. I expected it to be more staid but it's actually kinda hip.

Share some things you found surprising about a place you visited.
Eastern Texas is very lush/green & forested. It takes a lot of people by surprise.

My first time in Houston 13 years ago I sure wasn't expecting palm trees mixed with piney woods.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 PM

23,545 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Seattle, Washington - how much water (Lake Washington) is in the area around Seattle
Atlanta, Georgia - how friendly people are from the South

Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Default What things surprised you about cities, states or places you've visited?

How flat Los Angeles is.

How hilly & green Tulsa is.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
San Francisco - How Cold and windy there summers can be (It was 80 degrees in Seattle at the time)
DC- How many cool museums there were
Memphis - How dangerous the city actually was (A police officer told us to stay away from downtown at night)
Oregon Coast - How many really cool towns are along it (Newport, Seaside, Cannon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.