Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee---my hometown and very underrated city
Pittsburgh---love the place---ethnic background and backbone of the people reminds me of Milwaukee

Alburquerque NM---very pretty ---laid back---fine people--good atmsophere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Alburquerque NM---very pretty ---laid back---fine people--good atmsophere
Good answer. I had a green chile enchilada meal in the Rio Grande Valley at a restaurant that was upscale, but by no means fancy pants, and it still ranks up there with the best/most memorable dining experiences of my life. Excellent little city.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Other than Milwaukee? ugh that's a tough one. Excluding MKE, I would say:

PITT
KC
SEATTLE
I CAN'T BELIEVE you mentioned Seattle as "underrated"!!! It gets so much hype and appreciation that I consider it highly overrated, simply because no place on Earth lives up to the high regard that Seattle gets.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
For me?
Milwaukee, WI
Baltimore, MD
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Portland ME
I'm curious as to why you think Portland is underrated? It's constantly in Forbes lists for being one of the "10 best" of whatever the list is on and it's a major destination for tourists (in fact, tourism is its biggest industry). I have a hard time thinking of a city of around 65,000 people that gets nearly as much attention as Portland. Maybe Asheville NC, but not many others. Obviously I don't think it's underrated (I lived there for four years and was very underwhelmed), but I'm curious as to why you think it is?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Glad to see all the mentions for the Burgh! I really like that town. I'd add St Louis to the mix.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM

295 posts, read 461,344 times
Oakland California baby. we are so under-rated.
i don't know how to insert a picture from my hard drive but i would if i could.

Cleveland Ohio is my number two.
And i would have to put Pittsburgh three.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,509,300 times
Baltimore
Richmond
Jacksonville FL

Old 09-14-2011, 04:05 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Glad to see all the mentions for the Burgh! I really like that town.
Which lends credibility to the fact that it's not under-rated but plays the victim role ad-nauseum. Pittsburgh gets plenty of positive press and is one of the few cities with all four major sports franchises. There are plenty of cities more deserving of the title...

Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which lends credibility to the fact that it's not under-rated but plays the victim role ad-nauseum. Pittsburgh gets plenty of positive press and is one of the few cities with all four major sports franchises. There are plenty of cities more deserving of the title...
Yeah, gotta love that Pittsburgh NBA team.

That major oversight aside, let me try to get this straight...

A few people on here say Pittsburgh is underrated and THAT lends credibility to the "fact" that Pittsburgh plays the victim role ad-nauseum?

I don't think so. First, most people posting in this section of City-Data are city enthusiasts. A minority of the overall population. We have a different, generally more enthusiastic perspective on cities than most other people. If you go to a turtle racing forum, you'll find that a large percentage of the people that post there are largely enthusiastic about turtle racing. It does not mean that turtle racing is a major, popular sport.

Second, I am willing to bet that if you polled a large number of people outside of Western PA what they thought of Pittsburgh, most would say that it's a gross old steel town. I was planning a trip to Pittsburgh this summer and when I told people I got asked "why?!" and they looked at me like I had two heads.

Pittsburgh may get some positive press now, but it's still widely disregarded by a huge percentage of the population. Hence, "underrated."

Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.