Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

I just returned home to Connecticut from a major road trip throughout the South. I have had the opportunity to spend time in most of the states, and met a few people along the way, and did a few activities (i.e. shopping, hiking, etc.). Two years ago, I also did a southern road trip, so now I can say that I've been to every southern state east of the Mississippi River.

With that said, I am not impressed with NC, GA, FL, or KY. The most impressive states to me were MS, AL and TN, because they had excellent history and character, and I really liked the terrain/scenery. NC and GA are horrible with suburban sprawl, traffic and cookie cutout housing developments. They are losing their southern authenticity.

Anyway, I really liked Mississippi and Alabama, as well as eastern Tennessee, especially MS. The scenery and atmosphere has a very relaxed, quiet vibe to it. And I love the lower elevation with subtle rolling hills. I don't really like mountains that much, as I am used to it and it's too "loud" for my tastes. Something about flatter, forested terrain exudes simplicity. And the fact that MS roads are brown instead of gray/black only adds to the natural beauty. I also found the people to be MUCH nicer than those of GA and NC.

The only thing I don't like about the South is that every other radio station is about Jesus. And what's with all the crucifixes that I see on hills as I'm driving along the interstate? I'm not religious at all and found it to be quite intrusive.

Has anyone from the northeastern states moved to one of these states? Did you like it or not? Any regrets?

Last edited by nep321; 08-19-2011 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM

I also want to add that it baffles me as to why PA is considered the northeast. To me, it feels more like a southern state, more similar to MD or VA.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:15 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Connecticut is one of the top creepiest states in the country.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I also want to add that it baffles me as to why PA is considered the northeast. To me, it feels more like a southern state, more similar to MD or VA.
What's the saying, Pittsburgh on one side, Philly on the other, Alabama in between?

Much truth to that!

I bet based on what you wrote, that you especially liked Northern MS. What a pretty corner of the US. I also like the MS Delta Country especially the the southern end of it, in and around Vicksburg.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
What's the saying, Pittsburgh on one side, Philly on the other, Alabama in between?

Much truth to that!

I bet based on what you wrote, that you especially liked Northern MS. What a pretty corner of the US. I also like the MS Delta Country especially the the southern end of it, in and around Vicksburg.
Yeah, I spent time in the Natchez area and the Tupelo area. Both areas were beautiful.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
You would love Louisiana I'm fairly certain.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
You would love Louisiana I'm fairly certain.
Probably. I didn't have enough time to go there though.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:18 PM

352 posts, read 780,752 times
Quote:
Has anyone from the northeastern states moved to one of these states? Did you like it or not? Any regrets?
I'll be able to tell you in a few months, I'll be moving down to Mississippi.

I've been down there several times this year and I like it. And I agree with you about the scenery, very soothing to me.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
I'll be able to tell you in a few months, I'll be moving down to Mississippi.

I've been down there several times this year and I like it. And I agree with you about the scenery, very soothing to me.
Oh, perfect. CT to MS. Definitely let me know how it goes for you. Where in MS are you moving to?

Old 08-19-2011, 03:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Probably. I didn't have enough time to go there though.
While you were in Natchez, you should have taken a trip down to St. Francisville (I love those subtle hills too), New Roads, and ate on False River. Too late now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.