Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 23,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I think southerners take a beating in the media- on sit coms & on comedy shows, the accent is a cue that the speaker is dumb, just like a German accent is a cue that the speaker is a villain and an an Italian accent indicates a thug.
News reporters always affect that bland "American" accent- everyone else has to drum the regional dialect out of their speech or they don't get hired.
I agree. I have to admit, that the southern accent does take a beating.
I just found it funny that this woman who had never traveled north accused my husband of "faking" his accent because of a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,016 times
Quote:
I think southerners take a beating in the media- on sit coms & on comedy shows, the accent is a cue that the speaker is dumb, just like a German accent is a cue that the speaker is a villain and an an Italian accent indicates a thug.
News reporters always affect that bland "American" accent- everyone else has to drum the regional dialect out of their speech or they don't get hired.
good point. a friend of mine from NJ moved to Oregon for quite a few years, then back to NJ. She says that in Oregon, they really don't have any kind of accent, so she really lost her NJ one after living there for awhile. Then, her husband happened to find an old answering tape with her voice, NJ accent, and neither one of them recognized who it was at first. Needless to say, had to come back to NJ for her husband's job, and the NJ accent is back.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 AM

185 posts, read 583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis1 View Post
People are people. Who cares where they come from?
EXACTLY ! people are people . It all has to do with YOUR OWN mindset.All the native's of N.C. are not going to be standing in front of the "Welcome to North Carolina" sign yelling "get out intruder" or "go home yankee" NOR will the all be smiling and waving hello~Life Down South or up North is pretty damn sweet when ya think like i do. My glass is always half full. Living life ANYWHERE is what you make of it.

~signed Jersey girl in the two right states:
STATE OF MIND and THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA

P.S.tmarquis i think boston accents are WICKED cute!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 23,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
EXACTLY ! people are people . It all has to do with YOUR OWN mindset.All the native's of N.C. are not going to be standing in front of the "Welcome to North Carolina" sign yelling "get out intruder" or "go home yankee" NOR will the all be smiling and waving hello~Life Down South or up North is pretty damn sweet when ya think like i do. My glass is always half full. Living life ANYWHERE is what you make of it.

~signed Jersey girl in the two right states:
STATE OF MIND and THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA

P.S.tmarquis i think boston accents are WICKED cute!
Very well said. Thank you!
And by the way - we think our Boston accents are Wicked cute too!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 AM

112 posts, read 258,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
NYers don’t have a problem with someone from the South moving into their neighborhood. Why do so many Southerners get their boxers in a bunch because Northerners are moving down here? NYers may be gruff and terse, but that isn't the same as being rude! They might not display the same public facade of sweetness and they don't pretend to think you are just wonderful (Bless your heart) if they don't really like you... but if they do like you they are a truer and more dependable friend than any you have had before!
By the way, when I moved here guess who I bought my house from??? It was a Southerner!!! If Southerners don't want us here then stop selling your houses to us!
Because so many of you are doing so. Can you really say that if enough southerners were moving there that it created some of the problems mentioned in these threads that you all would not be upset? I find that hard to believe. I work with New Yorkers. A few of them are some of the rudest people I have ever met. I am a southerner and I do not display that fake sweetness. If I do not like someone they can pretty much tell.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis1 View Post
Hahaha - My husband and I were just discussing this yesterday! He has been told at work that he is "hated" because he is a Yankee. What is up with that?

Most of us do not hate Yankees. We hate what is becoming to our state. There is a huge difference.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:08 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
.... Can you really say that if enough southerners were moving there that it created some of the problems mentioned in these threads that you all would not be upset? ....
No, we can't!!!!

NY is being transformed from people from the south... WAY south! Really South! And also some from east & west & north. Some people are violent toward newcomers. Yes, some newcomers get beaten up & killed.
Some are rude to them. Some hate "the invasion" but are kind to individuals. And some are kind to everyone. Just like newcomers are treated in the south- there is a range.

So, c'mon, fellow Yankees, think about your views about Mexicans, Iranian Jews, Koreans...about their mannerisms which are very different, and, can often be seen as rude...

think about what you said when you saw that Halal butcher shop open, or that the new salon does threading instead of the procedures you are used to... think about seeing signs on stores in foreign languages. Were you happy to see your town change? Did you ever give anyone that tight lipped fake smile?

And what about the yuppies that swooped in & bought up everything, pricing you out of your own town? And the malls & chain stores that followed. Or their patient smiles when you described what used to be there?

Do you really want that new person on the school board or in your church? When you said you wished they would fit in, did you really wish they would all just leave?

See, we come down here thinking we will be accepted b/c we are all Americans
Just like the people coming up north think they will be accepted b/c we are all people

Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,016 times
Quote:
No, we can't!!!!

NY is being transformed from people from the south... WAY south! Really South! And also some from east & west & north. Some people are violent toward newcomers. Yes, some newcomers get beaten up & killed.
Some are rude to them. Some hate "the invasion" but are kind to individuals. And some are kind to everyone. Just like newcomers are treated in the south- there is a range.

So, c'mon, fellow Yankees, think about your views about Mexicans, Iranian Jews, Koreans...about their mannerisms which are very different, and, can often be seen as rude...

think about what you said when you saw that Halal butcher shop open, or that the new salon does threading instead of the procedures you are used to... think about seeing signs on stores in foreign languages. Were you happy to see your town change? Did you ever give anyone that tight lipped fake smile?

And what about the yuppies that swooped in & bought up everything, pricing you out of your own town? And the malls & chain stores that followed. Or their patient smiles when you described what used to be there?

Do you really want that new person on the school board or in your church? When you said you wished they would fit in, did you really wish they would all just leave?

See, we come down here thinking we will be accepted b/c we are all Americans
Just like the people coming up north think they will be accepted b/c we are all people
You have a lot of good points, but unfortunately the influx will continue, as it does up North, and now I guess my question is, what are we going to do about it? It has been established over and over again, and many of us do understand and empathize where people are coming from and how changes taking place are not all for the good, but, don't you think it is time to take the next step forward towards acceptance? If not, then we'll just keep rehashing the same points over and over again......

Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
You have a lot of good points, but unfortunately the influx will continue, as it does up North, and now I guess my question is, what are we going to do about it? It has been established over and over again, and many of us do understand and empathize where people are coming from and how changes taking place are not all for the good, but, don't you think it is time to take the next step forward towards acceptance? If not, then we'll just keep rehashing the same points over and over again......

Fight for sensible levels of legal immigration would be a great start.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:35 PM

190 posts, read 575,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
Fight for sensible levels of legal immigration would be a great start.

Ok, I have to ask because that statement could be taken two ways. Are you meaning international immigration or domestic immigration? (People moving state to state can be considered immigrants as well.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.