Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 06:38 AM

9 posts, read 23,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I did think it was a hornfest up there. Since I have never been there, the only thing I have to go on is what people who lived there have said. I don't even remember the girls name, but everybody at work was told about her dad's visit and how she had to explain to him that you don't blow your horn all the time down here. Then she described his going to work with the "language" flying and one foot on the gas, one foot on the brakes, and one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the horn. She said that driving down here really cramped his style, because he really enjoyed getting to curse and blow. The way she described it, everybody else was doing the same thing and they all enjoyed it. I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't want that behavior to catch on down here.
I think this is part of the problem. You admit that you have never been "there", but yet because someone has told you a story, you think all northerners are that way. We need to stop encompassing people into categories based on 1 or 2 stories we have heard. Please don't judge or assume based on things you have heard.
You know what they say about assumptions . . . . . ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 06:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
Many northerners have stated how proud they are to be from the north and to be a Yankee. Why did y’all let that area become so bad you feel like you have to flee it?
Because we are opportunists and know a cashcow when we see it....the southern economy is booming and we go where the money is. Don't be too concerned about your grandchildren acting all Yankee-ish though. For the most part, we will have moved on to other areas of the globe to suck dry the original fabric of the area and leave it quicker than a NY minute before our attitude is bred too deep......

And no matter where we land, we will ALWAYS be proud we're Yankees......

"Would y'all like a Long Island ice tea with them grits?"

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS IN JEST IN HOPES TO BRING SOME LEVITY TO AN OTHERWISE FRUITLESS DISCUSSION PEACE.....

Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Not too long ago I was at a light in my convertible (so I could hear the person very well) I was trying to make a left turn across traffic and the person in the car behind starts yelling in a New York accent-"what are you waiting for Christmas"....I still refused to move.
Would you have moved if they yelled "What y'all waiting for sugar, Christmas.."?

And refusing to move only makes you part of the problem. Why perpetuate "presumed" bad behavior? The right thing would have to waved your hand at them and looked angry; NYers love a good angry face!

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 08-15-2007 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Would you have moved if they yelled "What y'all waiting for sugar, Christmas.."?

And refusing to move only makes you part of the problem.
Nope, still would not have moved. I move when it is safe to do so. And no, I am not part of the problem. I was not the one yelling rude stuff, and doing nasty gestures,
And I am not the one making rude sarcasm on these posts with a disclaimer of gest....

Thanks for asking tho,

Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Nope, still would not have moved. I move when it is safe to do so. And no, I am not part of the problem. I was not the one yelling rude stuff, and doing nasty gestures,
And I am not the one making rude sarcasm on these posts with a disclaimer of gest....
Guess y'all don't get Yankee humor either....

Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 AM

39 posts, read 152,137 times
Default People Exaggerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Then she described his going to work with the "language" flying and one foot on the gas, one foot on the brakes, and one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the horn. She said that driving down here really cramped his style, because he really enjoyed getting to curse and blow. The way she described it, everybody else was doing the same thing and they all enjoyed it. I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't want that behavior to catch on down here.
People tend to exaggerate. That kind of behavior is not the 'norm' where I live however, in the course of a day, it is likely you will run into at least one crazy driver. Tailgating, as far as my experience goes, is the most common and dangerous practice on our roads in SE MI.
My father is like that too-minus the horn blowing. He prefers yelling out the window. Our entire family and all our friends are embarrassed when we have to go anywhere with him because of his behavior. It may be more prevalent where I am as compared to where you are but it is in no way 'the norm' and no one I know condones that kind of behavior or appreciates it.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Whoops, guess you don't get Yankee humor either......appears you southern belles all have your corsets one eyelet too tight

I am originally from New York....

There was no humour you stating I was part of the problem. You cannot hide your statements in a post you feel are humorous with suttle attacks and expect me to laugh,
If you had stopped at the humorous part.....

When people are in public and perform nasty gestures and are aggressive verbally to others, it would seem the people displaying this behavior are embarrassing themselves. And particularly if you are not from that area and still choose to display this rude behavior towards someone......well it just ain't looking so good for them now is it.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I am originally from New York....

There was no humour you stating I was part of the problem. You cannot hide your statements in a post you feel are humorous with suttle attacks and expect me to laugh,
If you had stopped at the humorous part.....

When people are in public and perform nasty gestures and are aggressive verbally to others, it would seem the people displaying this behavior are embarrassing themselves. And particularly if you are not from that area and still choose to display this rude behavior towards someone......well it just ain't looking so good for them now is it.
I travel quite a bit and for what it's worth, nasty car behavior is NOT strictly a NY driver problem (who to be the epicenter of bad mannered northerners, so for discussion sake...) and actually, I have seen a rash of ill-tempered drivers all over the country with the most recent being one of the most shocking.

We were attempting to exit a well attended amusement park in VA after a long, hot day in the sun and had a man in a SUV from PA roll down his window and start a tirade of expletives and threats directed at my SIL who was driving if we didn't let him merge into the line we were in (mind you, he had just pulled up next to us from elsewhere)....all in the presence of his preteen kids who were smiling as dad flipped out.....

It was a stunning example of how on the edge some people walking amongst us truly are IMO......

And when I brought the story up with a group of friends, everyone of them had equally bizarre stories themselves......scary

Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM

Default never said it was just NY'ers...

I was stating an occurrence which involved me, and the other happened to be a Ny'er.

And yes I have traveled the world also. That is neither here nor there in reference to my postings. My posting is replying to your posts that you said were in gest, questioning my behavior, and some accusations being tossed my way.

With that I shall exit to let this thread get back on topic,

Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 AM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie316 View Post
Let me say this. Saying what we have on our minds is NOT RUDE. It is how we express ourselves. I've been here 3 years now and EVERYONE I've met will not say what they mean. They have a hard time expressing themselves. Maybe they don't know how. But living in the North we learned how. Don't you dare say that I am rude. I just say what I feel. And if you do not like it then you have a problem with the truth. You just have to get over the NORTH vs SOUTH crap. I do not HATE OR DISLIKE anyone I have met here. I get along very well. Do you know that they come to me at work (THE ONLY YANKEE) and ask my advise because I tell it like it is???
I have to agree with Cherie about this. I have been in the south for 14 years and when I first moved here I was so impressed with how polite everyone was. But, as I started paying attention I would notice at work that some of the women would be sweet as could be to the person they were talking to, but then when they walked away they would trash them! If you do this to others then I assume you also do it to me, so then I don't trust you as far as I can throw you. (I am using "you" in the general sense, not directed at anyone in particular) The difference between me and those women is that, if I think you are two-faced and you talk behind everyone's back, I am NOT going to act sweet as can be to you even when you act sweet as can be to me.
You can say that NYers are rude, but we actually are just a little more discerning about who we are going to be friendly toward. Its just a different approach (but you will never have to guess where you stand with us!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.