Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Memphis- more Mississippi than Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,892 times
Fayetteville, NC: Fayettenam

It originally had to do with the number of Vietnam-bound troops who went through there, and the sleazy wildness of the city in those days. There have been effots to clean it up, but a touch of sleazy and wild may be there to stay, and the city's crime rate, especialilly in troubling kinds of crime like reported domestic violence and reported child abuse, alongside the usual other kinds of urban crime don't make the place look good at all.

Eastern NC - anything east of I-95 excepting the oases of Wilmington and Greenville is a huge geographic part of the state (about the same size as New Jersey) that (a) is extremely poor, (b) extremely conservative, and (c) everything you hear is negative. The only counties, or cities of any significant size (Kinston, Goldsboro) to consistently lose population over the decades are all located in that part of the state.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The Bootheel of Missouri, that little piece that projects into Arkansas in SE Missouri. Missourians say that if they ceded the Bootheel to Arkansas, the average IQ of both states would go up two points.

Garrett County, Maryland, the western knob that Marylanders consider to be culturally West Virginia.

The Thumb of Michigan, flat farmland with no towns to speak of, just an hour from Detroit.

The Valley (Lower Rio Grande), in Texas.

The Mora Valley, in New Mexico.

Southern Illinois, to most Illinoisans, is the equivalent to Mississippi. Or Indiana.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-18-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Yup, the rest of us see Memphis as a smoldering, politically corrupt ghetto.

Intellectually I know this isn't true and I've met quite a few civilized Memphians but I'll never go to see for myself. As someone pointed out even Canada is closer!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
The far eastern section of Connecticut is generally seen as an economically depressed region with much more people with junky cars, piercings, tattooes, smokers, less educated, etc. It's a different world from the rest of the state. We refer to it as "east of the river," meaning the area east of the CT River. Huge difference in socioeconomic status compared with the rest of the state, which is the wealthiest state in the nation.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:53 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
The Missouri Bootheel is unlike the rest of the state of Missouri. It is more like Northeastern Arkansas & the Mississippi Delta. I'm from the far northern part of the bootheel and in Rolla I get asked sometimes what state I'm from and they always expect me to say Arkansas or Tennessee.

Southern Illinois (True Southern Illinois south of the I-24/I-57 junction) is more like Western KY than Illinois and the demographics in some places are in line with the deep South much more than the Midwest (High black populations in rural areas).

Western Kentucky (West of the lake). Fits in better with Western Tennessee than it does with the rest of its state.

St. Louis in Missouri. It feels like a removed east coast city to many people.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 02-19-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Southwest Georgia.
OR..
to many Atlantans, there is Atlanta and the rest of Georgia. (with a few small exceptions like Savannah and Athens)

Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
The southern tier of NY.

When I was growing up city folk from downstate or the Ontario coast almost always called us hillbilles and inbreeders.

I've also heard a few people in Rochester jokingly call us northern Pennsyltuckians.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Within SoCal:
- Inland Empire is looked down on as a low-class, trashy, drugged-up, smoggy mess where people who couldnt afford to live anywhere else in SoCal live
- the "Valley" (of LA) is often mocked, not quite looked down but certainly not particularly well-regarded

Within CA:
- inland areas are generally looked-down-upon, if even thought about
- SF kinda looks down on SoCal b/c it is generally less cultured, educated etc etc

* it seems there will always be a divide within regions between big city/ small(er) city...coast vs inland...etc etc

Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Bootheel of Missouri, that little piece that projects into Arkansas in SE Missouri. Missourians say that if they ceded the Bootheel to Arkansas, the average IQ of both states would go up two points.
When I lived in Iowa they said the same about the southern tier of Iowa counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Garrett County, Maryland, the western knob that Marylanders consider to be culturally West Virginia.
Allegany (next county east) is actually poorer than Garrett and usually seems to be included in remarks (disparaging and appreciative) about Western Maryland. Western Maryland College located several counties to the east actually changed its name recently. From Mission & History (http://www.mcdaniel.edu/224.htm - broken link)

Quote:
In 2002, the Board of Trustees changed the name of the college from Western Maryland College to McDaniel College. Western Maryland’s namesake railroad had long since merged with another railroad, thereby losing its name. Prospective students often mistook Western Maryland for a satellite of a public university and thought it was located in rural western Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.