Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:23 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,622,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
That's funny. I grew up in New Mexico and we always considered Texas to be western (and I think that west Texas is definitely western).

Texas does get the shaft when it comes to regions, though. Many westerners apparently don't consider us really western and none of my southern family considers Texas a part of the "real South" as they call it.
Yeah, it seems sometime that neither one wants us! LOL Of course, maybe they are jealous because Texas is its own region in many ways, reckon?

Seriously, my experience is somewhat similar to yours. While my lady friend acknowledges the cowboy and frontier western aspects of Texas, she said she just found it a world apart from what she considers the "true West" (i.e. interior SW, Rocky Mountain and west coast states). As she said, most people where she comes from consider Texas a part of the South. And moving here only confirmed it. And I agree.

Of course, then again, like you mention, there are some in the Deep South who don't consider Texas part of the "true South" either. And -- like you allude to yourself -- my own ancestral roots are mostly in Mississippi and Alabama, so some I argue this question with are actually distant kinfolk!

It is almost always in good fun though. I just tell 'em "hey, I wish them Texas boys had known they weren't Southern before they went off and did all that good fightin'! LOL

Well, I don't want to hijack this great thread by talking about the never-to- be-settled subject of Texas regional affiliation, so will just end by saying even though I don't consider Texas to be The West, I sure do think the latter has some of the most majestic and beautiful country God ever made!

Carry on, Westerners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,389,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Kudos to the OP for a great thread! I enjoyed seeing the pictures and reading the comments. I have very limited experience visiting the West, but some of the stuff posted makes me want to change that! My fiance is from the West (Colorado) and sends regards to the OP as well. On a related tangent, she is adamant that Texas is NOT part of the true West. And I agree.
Thank you! You should make your way out West! The whole region is ripe for the adventurer and explorer. Heck, I just went out on a 3 mile hike here in Seattle WITHIN Seattle city limits (beautiful clear skies today, around 75-80) Pictures will be coming!

I'm a Californian, and despite all our problems fiscally and politically, California is still a beautiful place to live.

It's funny but I really do think Western states have an affinity for each other. We all seem to move around each other's states like it was our own state. I've lived in Arizona, and visited Nevada (both Northern and Southern), Oregon, and Washington extensively, and no matter where I go, it still feels like "home". Whenever I travel to the East Coast, I don't get nearly the same feeling.

Texas, at least for me, feels somewhat related to the West, but isn't exactly a Western state. Besides, I don't think Texans are as eccentric as Westerners! That's why there haven't been many boom-and-bust cycles economically or demographically in Texas as much as there has been in every single Western state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
Great thread! I have taken lots of pics of our wonderful region, here's a few to start off with.

Los Angeles,CA

Santa Monica,CA

Las Vegas,NV
Man, its weird to think that I've lived near those pictures for most of my life. The next time I go for a hike up the Hollywood Hills, I'll take more pictures of my beautiful city

Anyways, here are some of the Bay Area:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs131.ash2/39911_430011771856_655271856_5290560_6950700_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs149.snc4/36808_430010801856_655271856_5290536_7054351_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs257.snc4/40192_430010706856_655271856_5290531_8045012_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs139.ash2/40270_430011731856_655271856_5290558_5218365_n.jpg (broken link)

Portland, OR
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs269.snc4/39765_430014136856_655271856_5290636_2826140_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs117.ash2/39200_430013891856_655271856_5290629_6290018_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs115.ash2/39091_430013736856_655271856_5290617_4611956_n.jpg (broken link)

I don't want to overload the C-D system, but I just recently did the I-5 drive from LA to Seattle. A week before that, I did the LA to Las Vegas drive.

Seeing all the different flora and fauna of even the SMALLEST sliver of the Western United States inspired me to make this thread.

The best part about it is outside of the large metro areas, there aren't many tourists at all! No matter what season it is, its always a good time to visit somewhere in the West!

Yes, I know I'm sounding like a Chamber of Commerce, but believe me, I'm not getting paid at all

Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,942,243 times
Love the west. Out of the places I've lived and traveled, it is by far my favorite region. I especially love the topography and varied climates, from parched deserts to lush rain forests, sand dunes to high, rugged peaks. It's an outdoor fan's paradise, as well as a photographers heaven.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:05 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,227,756 times
I suppose if the locals use the word 'y'all', y'all are part of the south.

Here's a map of the regions with their subregion

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/images/norms/regions.gif

Forgot to mention, I've always thought the Pacific West was significantly different from the Mountain West; much more so than Texas not really feeling being a part of the South.

Last edited by BVitamin; 08-14-2010 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: blurb

Old 08-14-2010, 12:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,622,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I suppose if the locals use the word 'y'all', y'all are part of the south.

Forgot to mention, I've always thought the Pacific West was significantly different from the Mountain West; much more so than Texas not really feeling being a part of the South.
I have heard many Westerners say this (including my g/f) and can easily see how this would be so. That is, big differences in west coast and Mountain West. So far as Texas goes, yeah, "y'all" is practically the "state word." LOL I kinda put Texas into a unique sub-region of the larger South, which is best described as "Western South". A lot of it was settled after the "Civil War" during the "frontier era", so what you have is essentially Southern culture and history flavored with characteristics often thought of as "western" (i.e. cowboys, cattle ranching, western style dress, etc).

But anyway, that is not the same as being "The West". Texas has a whole different history and culture in terms of settlement, speech, church membership, voting patterns, demographics, etc. than the Mountain states and certainly the Pacific states.

Just on a related tangent, some years back there was a survey done where respondents were asked which region of the country they considered themselves to live in (Northeast, Midwest, South, or West). Some 71% of Texans said "South." The noteable exception to this, when broken down by intra-state regions, was the trans-pecos area (ala' El Paso) which went strongly for "West." Not surprising, I don't think...

Ok, anyway, again, I apologize for rambling on about Texas...but you know how we Texans are! LOL

Back on the subject of the West, just out of curiosity, how do most Rocky Mountain westerners view New Mexico and Arizona? I know they are often classified as Mountain States, but at the same time, they seem to have a certain unique "Southwestern" identity as well. Just wondering.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:41 PM

611 posts, read 775,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

The Great American West. The final frontier. When the United States became independent, there was a dream for expansion beyond the great shores of the Atlantic to the interior of the wild, United States.
I'm proud to be a Westerner! What an awesome country we live in
Impressive job you've done gathering this information and data, Lifeshadower. Thank you!
Like a lot of kids did after graduate school, I worked awhile and saved a few bucks, then wandered around the planet a bit to check out other peoples' way of life. Was hella fun exploring, living and working in new places.
My heart cried out for home, and here I am back in the wild, wild, west where I belong.
I believe that most/many people feel the same way about their own home location no matter where it may be.
Thanks again for an interesting post!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:31 PM

611 posts, read 775,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I'd rather step on a cowpie than dog poop on Fifth Avenue\ NYC
Hahaha!!!! I'd like to avoid them both but I'd take the cowpie over dog poop as well.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,036,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I have heard many Westerners say this (including my g/f) and can easily see how this would be so. That is, big differences in west coast and Mountain West. So far as Texas goes, yeah, "y'all" is practically the "state word." LOL I kinda put Texas into a unique sub-region of the larger South, which is best described as "Western South". A lot of it was settled after the "Civil War" during the "frontier era", so what you have is essentially Southern culture and history flavored with characteristics often thought of as "western" (i.e. cowboys, cattle ranching, western style dress, etc).

But anyway, that is not the same as being "The West". Texas has a whole different history and culture in terms of settlement, speech, church membership, voting patterns, demographics, etc. than the Mountain states and certainly the Pacific states.

Just on a related tangent, some years back there was a survey done where respondents were asked which region of the country they considered themselves to live in (Northeast, Midwest, South, or West). Some 71% of Texans said "South." The noteable exception to this, when broken down by intra-state regions, was the trans-pecos area (ala' El Paso) which went strongly for "West." Not surprising, I don't think...

Ok, anyway, again, I apologize for rambling on about Texas...but you know how we Texans are! LOL

Back on the subject of the West, just out of curiosity, how do most Rocky Mountain westerners view New Mexico and Arizona? I know they are often classified as Mountain States, but at the same time, they seem to have a certain unique "Southwestern" identity as well. Just wondering.

I would like to know also how NM and AZ are viewed from the rest of the Westerners?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I would like to know also how NM and AZ are viewed from the rest of the Westerners?
I can's say for Arizona, but as a New Mexican, I have noticed that except for some Coloradans, much like people from the rest of the country, New Mexico is barely recognized by folks in the other Rocky Mountain states.

I took a road trip up to Missoula, MT. I was actually helping a friend move, and once we were out of Utah, lots of people at gas stations, small towns and rest-stops commented on my license plates as if I just drove in from South America, like, "Gee, aren't you out of your element!", "How do you like American food?", "It will take you a while to get used to the elevation!" (even though we were lower than Albuquerque), "Is this your first time seeing snow?" etc.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,389,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post

Those are the US Census Bureau designations. More often than not, I've heard the terms "Pacific Northwest" (WA and OR, sometimes ID), "Desert Southwest" (NM and AZ, sometimes NV), "Intermountain West" (sometimes NV and ID, UT, CO, WY, and MT) , and "California" to divide the West.

I feel that the Mountain states, to the US Census Bureau at least, include too much, just IMO.

I also feel that the Inland West is MUCH different than the Coastal West. I'd go even further and even say that places EAST of I-5 have more in common with each other than West of it, at least in my travels in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.