Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I was just going to say that - but there will be a bit of the wholier than thou rich kids weilding their parents credit cards and pontificating on how they are better and more refined while in the same breath relentlessly describing and rationalizing reasons why not to work. not all of em though
That's more of the Cornell crowd versus the Ithaca College crowd. Then, you have Tompkins-Cortland Community College is nearby Dryden, which has more "down to earth" students, for lack of a better term.

A nice laid back community with a college is Oswego NY and Plattsburgh NY might be nice, with it's city beach and close proximity to Burlington vT and Montreal. Oneonta NY with it's 2 colleges might be another place to consider, but it is a good 60 miles from another city of decent size(Binghamton, Utica and Schenectady).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,846 times
Burlington, VT.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
Now, now. I'm a Cornell kid. Be nice.

I think Ithaca will be a little too small for you. Too much like Northampton. Burlington, VT may be a good fit.

You mention that Seattle and Portland are dream locations, but they are large cities that have more in common with Boston than the small-ish town that you claim to be looking for (esp. Seattle). I'd really look at Boston again - in particular the Inman Sq. area of Cambridge or the Jamaica Plain area of Boston. While both are "in the city," they are neighborhoods unto themselves that possess that hipster vibe.

Cambridge overall is a great area. It's dominated by Harvard and MIT so it has the intellectual crowd with good restaurants, bookstores, coffee shops and fun bars. There are party bars, but because the area boasts a large number of older grad students and young professionals, you'll also find lots of bars that are more about people grabbing a few drinks with friends rather than people drinking until they get sick. The big downfall of Boston/Cambridge is cost, but most college students and just out of college adults live with roommates.

Also, look at Providence and even Portsmouth, NH or Portland, ME.

Otherwise you will have to move a bit. You'd probably really enjoy Charlottesville.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
Now, now. I'm a Cornell kid. Be nice.

I think Ithaca will be a little too small for you. Too much like Northampton. Burlington, VT may be a good fit.

You mention that Seattle and Portland are dream locations, but they are large cities that have more in common with Boston than the small-ish town that you claim to be looking for (esp. Seattle). I'd really look at Boston again - in particular the Inman Sq. area of Cambridge or the Jamaica Plain area of Boston. While both are "in the city," they are neighborhoods unto themselves that possess that hipster vibe.

Cambridge overall is a great area. It's dominated by Harvard and MIT so it has the intellectual crowd with good restaurants, bookstores, coffee shops and fun bars. There are party bars, but because the area boasts a large number of older grad students and young professionals, you'll also find lots of bars that are more about people grabbing a few drinks with friends rather than people drinking until they get sick. The big downfall of Boston/Cambridge is cost, but most college students and just out of college adults live with roommates.

Also, look at Providence and even Portsmouth, NH or Portland, ME.

Otherwise you will have to move a bit. You'd probably really enjoy Charlottesville.
Good choices and Ithaca, including the Cornell crowd is generally laid back though.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
The two I thought of instantly were State College, PA and Morgantown, WV.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Happy Valley

Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Oneonta wasn't and should be mentioned.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
I hate to sound like your dad, but shouldn't you consider the colleges you want to apply to, rather than making the towns where they are located your first criterion?

Okay, I can see how you might have a picture of the kind of town you'd like, and then you might make a list of those and see which colleges you like which are located in towns that you would prefer. But it might help people here if you gave some idea about the type of college you're looking for. Kind of a waste of time for someone to suggest a town where the one college there is an Ivy, Little Ivy, or Sister if you're not likely to be applying to schools at that level, or, conversely, to suggest the home town of Podunk State College if you're Ivy League material.

I will say that I looked at JHG722's list, and Providence really caught my attention. There are several colleges there, so you have a better chance of finding a school that's a good fit than you would in a town with only one college.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Oneonta wasn't and should be mentioned.
Why? It does have two colleges in a small city of 14,000.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No way. She said she doesn't want a party school and needs something laid back, and well...I don't think that two recent winners of awards like "best party school" and "most drunken school" really qualify for that. The party scene is completely unavoidable in Morgantown and takes over all of downtown and then some about 4-5 nights a week, so I'd scratch that one off the list at least. State College has the type of setting she'd want, but it's still a big party school although a bit easier to avoid it all if you want to. Doesn't sound like she'd be into couch burning though...so no to WVU/Morgantown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.