Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,537,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it is completely the opposite. A couple of years ago it seemed that City-Data forum had a lot more people asking about moving and a lot less people asking "Where's the best pizza in Huntsville" or "Where do the stars live in LA?"
Perhaps your area is doing poorly due to the economy. Without jobs available, most people wouldn't be moving to Alabama. And where the stars live is more of a tourist type question.

Quote:
In 2007, I vaguely remember City-Data being around 500 on the top websites, now it's around 1400 according to:

Alexa Top 500 Global Sites
Lots of things can bring down an internet site ranking. It all depends on the criteria used by the ranking source. It's not uncommon for ranking sources to change criteria and then site rankings change as well. Many things can influence internet site participation too. For instance, poor moderating decisions can cause a site to tank. I'm not saying that's the case here. I'm just providing an example. I recall making some bad decisions that caused a very busy site to slow down and it was a year before we could recover. It never truly recovered to the level it was. It's a fine line running an internet site for public participation.

I'm aware of that study. It covers a period ending March 2009. I guess this is all region specific. The areas that are doing well in the economy are probably the only areas seeing an increase in people moving into the area, and the areas doing the worst are seeing an increase in people moving out of the area. All other areas of the country that are just simply stuck in a recession (not doing well, but not in a depression) are probably not moving at all. That's why the numbers aren't there. So nationally, I guess there are less moves, but specific regions are very active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 AM

26,328 posts, read 94,144,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Perhaps your area is doing poorly due to the economy. Without jobs available, most people wouldn't be moving to Alabama. And where the stars live is more of a tourist type question.

Lots of things can bring down an internet site ranking. It all depends on the criteria used by the ranking source. It's not uncommon for ranking sources to change criteria and then site rankings change as well. Many things can influence internet site participation too. For instance, poor moderating decisions can cause a site to tank. I'm not saying that's the case here. I'm just providing an example. I recall making some bad decisions that caused a very busy site to slow down and it was a year before we could recover. It never truly recovered to the level it was. It's a fine line running an internet site for public participation.

I'm aware of that study. It covers a period ending March 2009. I guess this is all region specific. The areas that are doing well in the economy are probably the only areas seeing an increase in people moving into the area, and the areas doing the worst are seeing an increase in people moving out of the area. All other areas of the country that are just simply stuck in a recession (not doing well, but not in a depression) are probably not moving at all. That's why the numbers aren't there. So nationally, I guess there are less moves, but specific regions are very active.
If we think of it, there are probably all sorts of indicators or metrics gauging increases or decreases in relocation: moving company statistics, U-Haul statistic, state tax records, real estate records, etc. In the context of the original post, I think it is pretty clear that overall the country as a whole has seen a decline in relocation.

However, like mentioned above in the quote, some places are hotter than others. I think I've read a lot lately about the DC area, new administration, big companies (Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, SAIC) having or making a bigger presence there, etc.

Huntsville is pretty hot due to the 4700 BRAC jobs moving from Northern Virginia - this is resulting in over 10,000 jobs moving to Huntsville - our forum is quite active. Unemployment is very low - for engineers, unemployment is 2/1000 or 0.2%, that's pretty low.

Finally simple internet searches provide reports of cities that indeed are active:

Ten Cities Where Americans Are Relocating - Forbes.com

Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Agreed.

Quote:
Finally simple internet searches provide reports of cities that indeed are active:

Ten Cities Where Americans Are Relocating - Forbes.com
Wow. That article shows how quickly these things change.

Texas is still hot. It's economy is strong. However, people are bailing from North Carolina. It seems North Carolina's boom has become a bust.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,456,625 times
Quote:
Do you think that the City-Data forums have become busier with people looking to move to another city?

Seems like so many people are relocating----some even without jobs are even moving to escape high cost of living aeas.

My wife and I up and moved from what little was left in Michigan almost a year ago.

If not for the economy, we never would have relocated. We are very glad we did.

Overall cost of living (utilities in winter) is so much lower.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,874,824 times
With so many people being laid off maybe people are taking the opportunity of having free time to relocate to a place where they'd really like to live. Instead of being tied down in a place they absolutely hate. It appears from reading lots of posts people are specifically moving from places that receive lots of snow. That's one reason I hate where I live because I'm tired of 12 years of shoveling that d@#% snow and then having to go to the chiropractor for the backpain it causes.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:53 PM

912 posts, read 1,337,711 times
If there are more jobs in one or another then yes I would move .

Old 01-10-2010, 06:28 AM

26,328 posts, read 94,144,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post
If there are more jobs in one or another then yes I would move .
So if you had a stable job, and a house and kids established in good schools and a nearly paid off mortgage in city A, you'd move to city B just because there were more (number or %?) jobs?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
So if you had a stable job, and a house and kids established in good schools and a nearly paid off mortgage in city A, you'd move to city B just because there were more (number or %?) jobs?
When my mortgage is paid off and the kids graduate, I'd do it for the sheer adventure of it. I'd just rent my house out. I'd want to be able to come back.

We've stayed in this good school district, for the sake of the kids, way longer than I can stand!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,101,166 times
Quote:
When my mortgage is paid off and the kids graduate, I'd do it for the sheer adventure of it. I'd just rent my house out. I'd want to be able to come back.

We've stayed in this good school district, for the sake of the kids, way longer than I can stand!
We've been kicking this idea around for several years. When my husband was young, he had the opportunity to live overseas for two years while his father worked as a military liaison, and he would really like to see our children have the same wonderful experience. Now that our house is paid off, I told him to go for it if he can find something he wants to do. I'm always up for an adventure.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
We've been kicking this idea around for several years. When my husband was young, he had the opportunity to live overseas for two years while his father worked as a military liaison, and he would really like to see our children have the same wonderful experience. Now that our house is paid off, I told him to go for it if he can find something he wants to do. I'm always up for an adventure.
Go for it! We wanted to do this sooner, but our kids reached the awkward age before we had a chance to leave. We decided to stay until they graduated. Now we're super excited at the opportunity to get out there and experience the world. We'll start out in the United States first. I don't want to just visit----I want to live it. Maybe we'll find out that there's no place like home (our city is known for friendly people) but at least we won't live our lives regretting that we never tried other parts of the country and world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues